Book review forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book review forum

Well, as you may have noticed, Christmas is coming and many wives, daughters, girlfriends....and maybe boyfriends also will be looking for ideas of presents. How about starting a forum to review books related to our hobby where readers could give their opinion of the latest book they read and maybe post photos, etc...Even if a special forum cannot be created (Seba??), at least a thread dedicated to books could be of use to many when looking for the next book to read...

I would like to start this list with a mention of the last book I have read: Francois de Lannoy's book "Les cosaques de Pannwitz / Pannwitz cossacks". Hardback published by Heindal. This is very good and informative with hundreds of very good and interesting photos of these cossacks fighting with the Nazis against the Russians. Written in both French and English it will be of interest to many collectors with a special interest in those soldiers but also is a great reference book due to the many, many brilliant photos showing plenty of awards, medals, insignias, etc...An ideal Xmas present! I paid £20 +postage for it through www.abebooks.com

I love books so come one, let's hear your comments about this book and also about other books that other members would find of interest.
    Attached Files

Pannwitz

One page at random...(poor scan but you get the idea...)
    Attached Files

Comment

I guess nobody likes my idea then

Comment

I think it's a super idea

But I think we already have too many forums as it is...where do we stop? "Third Reich Underwear and Accessories Forum" or "Imperial Boots and Footwear Forum"? The list could go on forever...

...but as a bookdealer I welcome your idea!!

Comment

I like the idea as well, maybe not just limited to books but perhaps films as well. There are many posts throughout the forum in various places on the subject and it might be nice if they were located together for easy access.

Al

Comment

I really like the idea but as Jack stated there are alot of forums. I think if we have room for a model building forum, we certainly should have a book forum.
            Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Comment

Come on people, do only four of us read books? Tells us about the latest book you have read and whether you would advise the rest of us to buy it

Comment

Tells us about the latest book you have read
                I read "Harry Potter" but the movie is better

Comment

P.s. : I'm really interested in a book about imperial Germany medals with medals
                  like "The Order of the White Falcony" . . .

Comment

As someone who reads about a book a week I'd like to see a forum:

Just finished this one:
                    Lieutenant Ramsey's War: From Horse Soldier to Guerrilla Commander

333 pages. I really enjoyed this book. Written in first person by Ramsey. Recounts his early days in the cavalry and his assignment to the Philippines as a cavalry officer in early 1941. After fighting the initial Japanese invasion, Ramsey heads up into the mountains and joins the guerrillas. Ramsey ends up leading the guerrillas around Manilla, which be the time of McArthur's return number 40,000. Harrowing tails of dodging jap patrols and playing politics with the different guerrilla groups.

Jack T

Comment

Books

Great, keep them coming.

Recently finished reading "The Birth of the Nazis", by Nigel Jones (Paperback, £7.99). Goes through the period between the end of WW1 and roughly the time of the Beerhall putsch. Not really "my thing" so I found it dry and a little boring. A good read I guess for anyone interested in the various Freikorps that sprang up in that time to fight the communists and also attack the various governments. A very difficult time for Germany. Appendix includes list of all Freikorps, their fate, their size and description of their insignia. Also includes a list on Freikorps members that went on to become famous in Nazy Germany.

Comment

I just finished "The Cellars of Marcelcave", which is one of the best first hand (edited) accounts of the First World War I have ever read. It recounts the adventures of a young American Doctor who enlisted in the AEF and was immediately transferred to the British Army as a front line Doc.He earned an MC. Parts of it are maudlin, but other parts are brilliant. Easy to read and memorable.
                        On sale at Edward R Hamiltons' and worth the $5 easy.

Comment

Hi Terry,

Sounds like a good idea to me.......
                          I have just finished this one, highly recomended.
                          And book no 2 has just been released, i will have to 'sweet-talk' the wife...

Jack,
                          Do you have a web-site?

All the best,
                          Steve.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Steve,

Do you mean a website for the book or a personal one? I think I got the book from Amazon.com. My personal website for the 777th is in my signature.

Jack T

Comment

Here's another recent read:

Another River, Another Town: A teenage tank gunner come og age in combat -1945 by John Irwin

Short book - 176 pages. Interesting read. The author comes into a tank battalion of the 3rd Armored Division as a replacement gunner right after the Battle of the Bulge. He then relates his tale as he tries to fit in with the vets and survive the frantic combat of the last days of the Reich. Some interesting tank battles that shows the randomness of who live and who dies in street fighting. Shows the constant fatigue of the troops and their quest to get some sleep and something to eat.

All in all, a good book and worth picking up if you find a copy under $8. The book is priced at $11.95, which I thought was a bit high considering how short the book is.

Jack T
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X