No announcement yet.

Newest tallies to soon be added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i post here a few tallies from mine including my METEOR metallfaden one,all of them came from Frank months ago,since last time i got them from him i didn,t get more km talllies,mainly because im focused in spanish navy cap tallies always hard to find....

i would like any u-boat flotilla with metallfaden because i only have a saltzwedel one
    [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    Last edited by Hank Cummings; 01-17-2012, 11:05 PM. Reason: want ad text

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
      Today I received the Vermessungsschiff Meteor tally in Metallfaden, unworn with a length of 150 cm. I would like to get opinions on this one from the more experienced collectors! The feel of the material and the whole construction looks good to me as well as the sizes of the tally and letters etc. I just have a feeling that the ss and ff at VermeSSungsschiFF Meteor look not 100% like they should....but that could also be paranoia because of the many fakes on Ebay (got this one from Ebay.de btw)

Thanks for opinions, good or bad
      Marcel
      Hi Marcel,

I agree with the others - a nice genuine mint tally. I remember seeing a whole package of genuine mint unopened Meteor tallies posted a couple of years ago so this is one that's floating around in mint condition.

Here's a photo of the Meteor from when my Dad was communications officer on it in 1940 under Admiral Mootz at that time when it functioned as a floating headquarters for the Befehlshaber der Sicherung der Ostsee.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the comment Norm!!! Also thanks for showing the stunning photo from the Meteor!! Guess your dad had many great stories to tell from his time on this ship?!

Best regards,
        Marcel

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
          ...Guess your dad had many great stories to tell from his time on this ship?!

Best regards,
          Marcel
          Hi Marcel,

Well typical dumb adolescent I always glazed over and barely listened when my Dad talked of the war, and only after he was gone did I develop a passion for the Kriegsmarine and the historical context of his life. But he did tell me that Admiral Mootz was a fairly quiet, tired, non-charismatic individual which was apparently okay for that position at the time. My Dad was a Leutnant at the time and was often sent by plane back and forth with courier messages during that assignment. He also spent time in Copenhagen.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
            I remember seeing a whole package of genuine mint unopened Meteor tallies posted a couple of years ago so this is one that's floating around in mint condition.---Norm
            This one?

Had no idea your dad was on the Meteor plus he was in Copenhagen.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Frank K View Post
              This one?

Had no idea your dad was on the Meteor plus he was in Copenhagen.
              That's the one, thanks!

Yes Dad was in Aarhus and Copenhagen. Here are just a couple of his photos from 1940 - first the port in Aarhus I believe, with the Meteor's launch in the foreground and Meteor in the background, and second a harbour in Copenhagen which Dad described as a most interesting hub of activity with interesting sounds, sights and smells.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

The Old Little Belt Bridge (Gamle Lillebæltsbro) over the Little Belt (Lillebælt), a strait in Denmark between Jutland and the island of Funen; a view from the Junkers W34/K43 single engine militarized transport seaplane used for Dad's courier duties.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing these pics Norm!!!
                  And yes, I think that typical dumb adolescent behaviour will sound familiar to many....so it does to me. Unfortunately I never listened well enough to my grandparents and now they're gone and so are the stories.

Comment

Interesting photo's Norm, thanks for showing.

I'm not that familiar with the port in Aarhus but it looks like.

The second one is from the old fish market in central Copenhagen - Gammel Strand - so the "sounds, sights and smells" sounds very probably.

THe old bridge was new when the photo was taken. Another bridge was built in the 70's but the old one still exist.

Comment

Hi Frank,

Is this neighbourhood identifiable?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sure thing Norm. It's taken on Vesterbrogade with the back to the townhall and the townhall square (Rådhuspladsen). On the very left is the main entrance to Tivoli and further up left is the train central station.

The obelisque is the middle was raised by gratefull peasants in 1797 as a present to the king when he abolished serfdom(?)

The buildings have changed a lot since the 40's but the building on the right with the dome looks the same today.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank K View Post
                          Sure thing Norm. It's taken on Vesterbrogade with the back to the townhall and the townhall square (Rådhuspladsen). On the very left is the main entrance to Tivoli and further up left is the train central station.

The obelisque is the middle was raised by gratefull peasants in 1797 as a present to the king when he abolished serfdom(?)

The buildings have changed a lot since the 40's but the building on the right with the dome looks the same today.
                          Thanks Frank! I must have stood right about there when I visited Copenhagen in 2006 without even realizing it! There seemed to be an enormous amount of construction and renovation going on in the city at that time.

(Sorry I seem to have hijacked the thread transiently away from the tallies, but then again, it's all to provide context for the Meteor tally and the ship in 1940... )

Best regards,
                          ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                            Thanks Frank! I must have stood right about there when I visited Copenhagen in 2006 without even realizing it! There seemed to be an enormous amount of construction and renovation going on in the city at that time.

(Sorry I seem to have hijacked the thread transiently away from the tallies, but then again, it's all to provide context for the Meteor tally and the ship in 1940... )

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            You're welcome! I live close by where the photo is taken and you're right, Copenhagen is a permanent construction site.

I also have some bad conscience about hijacking Justins thread so better show some tallies.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some nice pick-ups there Frank.

Regards,
                              JustinG

Comment

Hi Frank,

some nice tallies, indeed. However, in case I didn't mentioned it to you before: the 3rd Schiffsstammabteilung is an early BM tally since there's no number behind the word. That's a sure sign for early BM.

Rgds

Dani

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X