Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here some recent " coconuts",see the variety of the straps - I like it on them.All were found with the unmarked steel cups.Hope youlike them...
    Best,
    Gustav
    Attached Files

Comment

back side
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes of course, I like it so much

Comment

Hey guys,

I obtained this week a coconut that has been bpainted blue.
          The straps are correct an dated 44 and there was no cup.
          Has anybody saw this before?

Thx

Comment

I was wondering why the round shape of the German water bottles/canteens?

Were they just easier to manufacture at the time? Or are they sturdier?

Comment

What a great thread this is, a lot of information have I learned about construction methods and material use for determing German wartime canteens, thank you all who contributed to this thread.
              I recently purchased this so called Early Jugend type of cupless canteen, a named and in a good condition ESB 39, some of you are saying that these are para military or political, others refer to them as early Heer canteens from witch the cup was carried in the Brotbeutel.

One thing that I have noticed on this thread(and other threads and information sources on the internet) about canteens that were produced for para military and political organizations is the type of hook that is used for these canteens, mostly the slimmer ones, like in the picture I took from this thread to illustrate this. But the type of canteens, like my recent purchase, have the hook that is used for the canteens for the fighting forces, the thicker ones with the X markings for better grip on it...
              Could this be a indication that these cupless canteens where produced and used for the fighting forces, together with the standard stamping like you would encounter on regular Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe?Waffen SS canteens?
              Can anybody tell me more about this, because this is keeping my mind occupied for this day, would like to know more about it.

Here are two photo's of the different type of hooks I was refering to.

Comment

I am also wondering about Russian Glass canteens. I see the glass canteens come in different colours...greens, brown, clear...pinkish...bluish...

But was there a universal carrier for them?

Were the glass ones used in WW2 as well? as WW1 Or did they switch to aluminum for WW2? Same carriers?

I know it should be straightforward...but I'm not getting clear picture of what's what...

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung! View Post
                  Could this be a indication that these cupless canteens where produced and used for the fighting forces, together with the standard stamping like you would encounter on regular Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe?Waffen SS canteens?
                  If you mean markings with your "stamping" - these show only the producer, and are not military markings of any kind.
                  So you can find those markings on any army, paramilitary, or even civilian canteen.
                  Difference is - like you guessed - the harness, hooks, stitching / rivets.

Comment

The middle one has a nice collor!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                      Yes Jan, I agree. Textbook all complete, untouched and matching canteens are tough to find.

Here are a few '44 dated ones. Steel painted canteens and steel painted cups. Note the late-war fabric used on some of them.
                      the midle one has a nice coller

Comment

My collection.....
                        Attached Files

Comment

vb
                          Attached Files

Comment

No wonder I can't find any! YOU have them all!

Comment

Originally posted by FreeRange View Post
                              No wonder I can't find any! YOU have them all!

Comment

Nice collection!!!
                                I have only 20 or so XD

Just a practical question:
                                I have all my canteens also hanging on their hooks. Now I noticed that the leather and stitching under the hooks, on almost all of them, is wearing out and a few of them broke/teared off When I got them they where perfectly fine.
                                Is this cause of the hanging (some are hanging for more then 5 years in my collection) or are conditions in my collection room to dry?

Thanks!

best regards Sven

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 75 users online. 0 members and 75 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X