Snipers badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
    There was, as I recall, another tunic found with the sniper patch but the buyer removed it to see if the color below the patch was darker than the surrounding material. The opinions were inconclusive and then the debate moved to whether to sew the patch back on.

The debate over the above picture (thanks for posting since I am working off my phone) was that it could not be ascertained if the picture was photo shopped or not due to all of the “Sniper 44” words over the picture.

Gary B
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=Sniper+badge
    Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
    teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Here are two original examples for sale at the moment:

https://www.lux-military-antiques.co...rd-badge-1.htm

https://www.lux-military-antiques.co...rd-badge-2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by AntiqueWW2 View Post
        there where a lot Snipers who got it, but they usually never put it on there Uniforms, because they where scared if they get captured whats happens to them, usually killed on the Spot, even there own Troops did not like them at all, because they did not see any honor in what they do
        Really? I would have thought fellow troops would have been very thankful of their support. Especially as enemy snipers were a constant threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Lj90 View Post
          Really? I would have thought fellow troops would have been very thankful of their support. Especially as enemy snipers were a constant threat.
          No if you read a bit on the subject, you will find your statement incorrect. J

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
            No if you read a bit on the subject, you will find your statement incorrect. J
            Now now, no need to be sarcastic.
            It’s only my view, you could explain why I’m incorrect and help rather than simply say that I’m incorrect. Please share your knowledge, I’m very interested to know about this

Edit: I know what your saying, that snipers methods were deemed cowardly or dishonourable, and also the danger a sniper could potentially bring upon his group. But to say that their fellow troops diddnt like them “at all” I thought was surprising. I’m sure they liked them when they eliminated a threat, especially if it saved lives as a result.
            Last edited by Lj90; 03-11-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I know little of German snipers during ww2. I think the reason why I was surprised you said that was mainly because I know the Soviet’s prided themselves on their sniper schools and had advantages over the German snipers even before the war began.
              They saw them as hero’s. They played a crucial role in not just eleminating targets of importance, but of successfully striking fear into their enemy (rightfully so) to cause delay and confusion amongst them. My point is that the cowardly and dishorable stigma was by no means attached to the Soviet snipers (men and women) quite the opposite. Remember they rarely killed “anyone” usually having specific targets of significance and killed large numbers (over time) whilst minimising collateral damage. They proved extremely successful and even grew in numbers as the war progressed.
              It’s interesting to see the Germans view on snipers was different.

Comment

I think what is being suggested is that how fellow soldiers viewed things such as their own snipers and how the state propaganda machine tauted them could be very different.

I’m was not there and am no expert but I have tried to read every personal account on subject (from all wars up till 1945) and I find the reality sort of complex. Much resentment seems due to their special status and not having to do the grunt work so much and also the tendency they had to draw fire on positions. There were other things expressed as well mostly about recognition and independence.

These things seem sort of true for all wars up through WW2 and all armies that I have read of including the Confederate Army snipers.

One thing seems universal is that no sniper wanted to be taken alive and identified as a sniper

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                  One thing seems universal is that no sniper wanted to be taken alive and identified as a sniper
                  An excellent reason that pictures of sniper badges in wear are so rare.

Comment

It certainly would not have been a very nice end for them upon capture.
                    One thing is for sure you can’t deny how brave these people were, especially knowing the consequences if caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Lj90 View Post
                      It certainly would not have been a very nice end for them upon capture.
                      One thing is for sure you can’t deny how brave these people were, especially knowing the consequences if caught.
                      I agree with you on that. Just firing a weapon when you are by yourself, often between the lines and generally 200-300 meters away from a mass of enemy in their positions, takes something most do not have.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X