The mk casket club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt. R View Post
    Had you ever heard of a practice where Himmler's closest "Knights" may have been awarded these SS caskets as a token of their special belonging to the Wewelsburg circle of Knights. Therefore, they were a one-time only "issue?"
    No one else receiving them except the inner circle, if you will.

Comment

I have had requests to contact dealers etc. to find out where they got theirs from!

Sorry...............no time to do that!

Everyone must do their own research.

Comment

And why is there one in the Imperial War museum

Comment

Here are 2 questions.

1. How many people in possession of one of these boxes think they are fantasy?

2. How many people who don't have one think they are fantasy?

I agree that no photo or documentation surrounding these boxes has come to light so far, but I am sure that period evidence will turn up eventually.

We have seen the same thing many times on this forum, with rare photos and documents coming out of the woodwork.

The first MK box I saw for sale was back in the 1970s.............from Adrian Forman, I think.

Since then, I've seen about 20 or so appearing worldwide............all pretty much identical. At least 2 have been on German dealer sites.

As for vet provenance, I think only about 0.001 % of ANY of the items we have in our collections can be traced back directly to a vet.

Whether these boxes were used for MK or not (we all call them MK boxes because we don't know any better, just like the so-called Deschler and P&L SS Medals), they are certainly original in my opinion. Again, just like the medals.

What they were REALLY used for is the big question............one which I am sure will be solved in time.

Comment

Originally posted by RUHL13 View Post
            And why is there one in the Imperial War museum
            Why not?

It's in the TR section.

Comment

Exactley

Comment

I have nothing to add regarding the authenticity of these particular items. However, I must point out that museums are not necessarily proof of authenticity. I have even seen some horrible, obviously fake insignia on display in the Imperial War Museum.

Comment

As Thorsten points out,none emerged in Germany....but all recent
                  finds/sales from UK Dealers passing them around,yanking up the price
                  Another has been for sale at another UK Dealer forsome months now
                  at £2000!!!!!!!"Found in an Antique Shop"
                  All that is enough to make me feel uneasy about authenticity.
                  JMO
                  Seiler

Comment

That´s what I mean:

I do not own one but that does not get along with an attempt of judging them in general as being fakes.
                    But if someone examines the market it is obvious that - especiall recently - some of these do "suddenly" surface in England - that is at least...remarkable.
                    Wasn´t there as well something concerning the appearance of a so-called Julplate made of bronze recently?

"Found in an Antique shop": who believes that the dealer there really had no clue about the meaning of the runes and that such a piece "might" have something to do with the Third Reich?

Yeah, right - we already know the answer.

Indeed especially those objects are of highest interest which have not been discovered yet and which history is still unknown - but I have a bad feeling about the actual number of boxes being offered for sale by dealers, that´s it.

And while reading the comments of others here I am not the only one.

Comment

the casket i owned was brought back by a capt Hickman , when he passed away approx 15 years ago an auction was held at his estate appleton manor ,it was described on the auction catalogue as an ss officers ashes casket,capt hickman was a vet of ww2,he later became director of hickmans steelworks the largest steelworks apparently in the uk, so theres one that wasnt from a dealer. rgds Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Seiler View Post
                        As Thorsten points out,none emerged in Germany....but all recent
                        finds/sales from UK Dealers passing them around,yanking up the price
                        Another has been for sale at another UK Dealer forsome months now
                        at £2000!!!!!!!"Found in an Antique Shop"
                        All that is enough to make me feel uneasy about authenticity.
                        JMO
                        Seiler
                        So those that Hermann Historica sold were from the UK then ? Also, I picked mine up from a collector in Germany, who had acquired it privately.

Comment

I punctuate my remark as "IMO"
                          The fact something came out of Hermann Historica
                          does not mean it came from Germany.They accept consignments
                          from all and sundry AND have been known to sell on "Duds"
                          I know UK Dealers who consign items.
                          Seiler

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1 View Post
                            I have even seen some horrible, obviously fake insignia on display in the Imperial War Museum.
                            So have I.

Most of it came from collectors in the US................including the 20th July Wound Badge which the museum bought from a US collector in the 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by sscrooge View Post
                              the casket i owned was brought back by a capt Hickman , when he passed away approx 15 years ago an auction was held at his estate appleton manor ,it was described on the auction catalogue as an ss officers ashes casket,capt hickman was a vet of ww2,he later became director of hickmans steelworks the largest steelworks apparently in the uk, so theres one that wasnt from a dealer. rgds Dave
                              Dave.

That box was 100% original.

No question.

Comment

I cannot believe the way this thread is going!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X