Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's actually quite surprising to see some of the worlds greatest musicians be so much into history and wear these items, at least i presume if you wear something SS related you know something of history? I can't imagine Jimmy Page or Lemmy being racist or neo or any of that wrong stuff, they just seem to have another approach and would probably laugh when they'd read up on what people write about them here. Regarding Lemmy there is a quite good movie on his career HERE. I watched it out of curiosity as heard he had a very large WWII collection. In the movie there are many fragments that show some of his collection. Like himself you have to take his collection not too serious as there are between many of the original items also many phantasy items. He seems to not take things all too serious and just seems to enjoy what he does. At least that's a bit the message of his movie. Maybe a good idea here on the forum too, instead of creating two sides with people pro and con (elder) rockstars and collecting in general, we better enjoy history and the items it's about? I can recommend the movie for anyone who wants to see some of his militariacollection.

To stay further ontopic, here's another example of some of the biggest rockbands ever: Velvet Revolver. Maybe not known to the older collector from the 1950's or'60's but im petty sure that anyone who ever listend to some rockmusic the last 30 years knows them.

ps: maybe this topic would be better in the kneipe instead of here?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Philipson View Post
      Hmm...
      First of all, it seems you and your generation started all this "crap" they call rock and roll.
      Your mama's and papa's did not like at all the likes of little richard, Elvis and others.

Secondly, for a large part this was exactly because they were druggers and boozers, ...
      Elvis was both, Johney cash was both, i think little Richard was to,
      I think they all were.
      Jerry lee lewis, pfff... i dont need to talk much about him do i? A pedophile drugger and boozer?

Maybe in the 50ties and 60ties people were just better at hiding what they did, but different? hah!

For someone interested in history for 43 years, you sure have a very selective memory.
      At least they were dressed like human beings not like dirtbags.And my selective memory was better than yours who think these guys were the same as the 50s singers.I guess you dress like them and act like them!!
      I would rather go to a rock n roll concert that your dirtbag slobs that you like!!Most of them are slobs and sing like s--t!!I guess thats your thing!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=mtnCcWOS7y8

Rockers love their SS schirmmutze
        Last edited by ENGLISH BOB; 12-06-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Funny how this went from an interesting thread into an I'm better than you and I'm right your an idiot thread....

Comment

I have never heard of Motorhead and I am not familiar with their music. However, I personally find it offensive to wear TR items when it causes pain to the victims and their families.

I am no art expert, but I had a professor who one said that those with little talent need gimmicks. Those with talent are recognized for that talent. I suppose, talent and gimmicks really make for great success.

Luckily we live in a free country where we can choose to ignore and not patronize those entities that do not fit within our personal values.

I find it interesting that the late Michael Jackson wore communist shoulder boards, on his costumes, and no one thought that was offensive.

Even though I find it offensive, I dislike the PC bans on personal attire.

Bob Hritz
            Last edited by Bob Hritz; 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM.
            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Ss

Its very simple to understand . Most artists of any sort are rebels and often do things that show this . Its many manifest in the way they dress or in their behavior . Different types of people are attracted to there art or music and buy it . As for finding it offensive to see ss or nazi items or communist items being worn , one could argue that us collectors/ dealers are offending people buy collecting it or selling it .

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
                There's a famous photo of Jimmy Page on stage wearing an SS officer's visor. I think he's a collector as well. He's all into castles and symbolism. He must love Wewelsburg. Led Zep is OK, but Hendrix rules. Doubtful he collected Third Reich stuff, but he was rumored to have an SS attributed lava lamp.
                Don't be so sure of that.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DR DOLCH View Post
                  Don't be so sure of that.
                  I do have a pic of jimi w./ his dagger collection...will post tonite when I return home...Rich

Comment

Old thread, but, here's a screencap of Latin "Superstar" Gerardo of Rico Suave fame wearing a totenkopf on his leather jacket.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow that's something. Even as a repro that's pretty close. I think beyond the recycling of styles, some folks and businesses just push the envelope for the sake of creativity and style. Sears just took some heat for selling a swastika ring on their online catalog (true story!).

Comment

Also that pic of jimmy Hendrix is something. I get the ss lava lamp story, but how bout that pickelhaube? And maybe it's my imagination but is that a black wewelsburg sunwheel ring on his pinky?

Comment

This poster which I bought at one of Motorhead's first shows in (I think 1976) displays the type of TR elements that were freely associated with motorcycle outlaws at that time. Search the web and you will find plenty of steel helmets used prior to compulsory helmet laws along with numerous iron crosses and swastikas, all designed to shock the citizenry, as indeed were those worn by punk rockers in its days until it passed into the mainstream. Note also that in the very early days many Motorhead followers were Bikers and the first album has more than a nod to this (White Line Fever/Iron Horse etc.)

I note that whilst the war pig emblem of Motorhead has not fundamentally changed, the small swastika at the top appears to have been quietly dropped at some point and most of the imagery now is pseudo TR (e.g. eagles) rather than anything hardcore. This seems to reflect the change in attitudes and I find it interesting that TR emblems were more tolerated in the 70s than they are today. We are now more aware of and sensitive to giving offence.

Tom
                          Attached Files

Comment

Never noticed the swastika on Motörhead logo. May have been before my time, but we are definitely in a culture and time of offense-sensitivity. Very annoying to sanitize history.

Comment

Nazi-Surfers

Michael Fay posted some GREAT pics of surfers wearing Nazi garb on a thread a long time ago. It included artwork by the famous artist, Big Daddy Roth. Maybe he can resurrect that thread.

Comment

Check this one out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGNuKqbU_vs

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X