Beret skulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
    I have that same photo, but not in a resolution high enough to achieve such a clear enlargement. "My, what a big nose you have!" Must be a staged photo using the latest repro SS beret insignia. Thanks for posting R.D. Rygaard, now we are getting somewhere.

I am still waiting for people to comment on skulls #1 through #4... perhaps some thinking out loud....anything? Can we at least agree that there may be more than one type of off-white skull? Both good? Both bad? One good, one bad? Please back up your opinions through the photogrphic evidence presented or come up with more photographs or insignia blow-ups to support your opinions.

MIKE DAVIS....HAVE YOU FOUND OUT YET WHAT COLOR THREAD WAS USED IN THE EXAMPLE YOU POSTED (SKULL #2) ?

RICHARD P.
    Richard:

I have the original photo so thats how I got it so clear. When I send scans to fellow collectors & do it in low res as to keep the "Ebay scam artists " away or watermark them. Best Rich

Comment

I think alot of the problem with these items arise because so many collectors are of the mistaken belief that these insignia and berets are an obscure item of pre-war uniform.That is simply not the case.These items were worn as standard part of the SS-panzer uniform from roughly 1938 until at least the invasion of Russia.Also the berets were still showing up in photos(studio shots/portraits/and training photos) until 1943!The previous photo posted by RD Rygaard is post May 42.Thats 3-5 years of production......thats alot!Keep in mind that everything the US produced for WWII was produced in only 3 years!As long as they fall into the correct parameters slight variations are to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by David T View Post
        I think alot of the problem with these items arise because so many collectors are of the mistaken belief that these insignia and berets are an obscure item of pre-war uniform.That is simply not the case.These items were worn as standard part of the SS-panzer uniform from roughly 1938 until at least the invasion of Russia.Also the berets were still showing up in photos(studio shots/portraits/and training photos) until 1943!The previous photo posted by RD Rygaard is post May 42.Thats 3-5 years of production......thats alot!Keep in mind that everything the US produced for WWII was produced in only 3 years!As long as they fall into the correct parameters slight variations are to be expected.
        The fact that they were in use does not necessarily indicate that they were in production for that period as well.

B. N. Singer

Comment

MIKE DAVIS....HAVE YOU FOUND OUT YET WHAT COLOR THREAD WAS USED IN THE EXAMPLE YOU POSTED (SKULL #2) ?
          Sirs, I was advised by the owner that the example is not embroidered in white thread.

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
            The fact that they were in use does not necessarily indicate that they were in production for that period as well.

B. N. Singer
            Was there really ever any "production" per se? Weren't they just Heer Panzer berets with SS insignia attached? They could have been "made" whenever they wanted one, as long as Heer berets were available.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
              ...Weren't they just Heer Panzer berets with SS insignia attached? They could have been "made" whenever they wanted one, as long as Heer berets were available.
              Tom
              Indeed Sir, you are correct as far as my understanding of the "topic" goes.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Mike Davis,

Many thanks for your diligence in finding out the thread color. I suspected as much, but its much better to know for sure.

Everyone,

It does not really matter how many and who manufactured these particular embroidered items. Most likely we will never know. If we can discover some are fakes, perhaps those newer makers can be rooted out. The questions remain....what is good and why. What is bad, and why. I posed several reasonable questions based on the photos shown.

If I shared my PM's, I am sure many would be amazed how much support there is for more than one type of skull, and also two color variations. I will not post my PM's because I feel private messages are just that PRIVATE. I do understand the politics of collecting. I remain open minded about these including my own. I will throw them in the fakes cigar box if that is so determined. I want to know if the ones that keep turning up are like number #3 or #4? They are easily distinguished.

There has always been an abundance of un-sewn German insignia since I got my first pieces as a child from my ex-POW father. They made for great and easily transportable souvenirs. There was way more made, than was used on uniforms and headgear. Its the same for US insignia. I have stumbled on thousands of patches from guys who squirreled them away. I bought over 1,500 pieces of boxed WWII sweetheart jewelry from a guy who ran a shoe shine stand in the Greyhound bus depot. I got into the contents of a surplus store that closed in 1949. I bought 1,500 garrison belts for $1.00 each.

?????? How many of these off white insignias are at the shows? Which type? Somebody do a head count of the SS panzer skulls (and eagles) and types offered at the SOS???????

Here again are the four different pieces for discussion.

#1 Silver gray thread on black wool base.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Richard P; 02-05-2008, 04:09 AM.

Comment

#2 Silver gray thread on black wool base.
                  Attached Files

Comment

#3. Off white thread on black wool base.
                    Attached Files

Comment

#4 Off white thread on black wool base, "Big Nose".
                      Attached Files

Comment

I guess everyone is waiting to go to the SOS and get that count on SS beret insignia for sale/display before responding. I can't wait to see what everyone has to say after they have had such a long time to compose their thoughts and research.

Richard

Comment

I can't wait for all the reports to come pouring in on how many SS beret skulls and eagles were encountered at the show. I hope some of you took photos of the latest fakes. I know you guys need a days rest and recovery, but lets get those counts posted.

Richard P

Comment

Fake Eagles and Skulls at SOS

I can't wait for all the reports to come pouring in on how many SS beret skulls and eagles were encountered at the show. I hope some of you took photos of the latest fakes. I know you guys need a days rest and recovery, but lets get those counts posted.

Richard P
                            I did not encounter any good fakes, sorry.
                            Peter

Comment

Peter,

How about any original examples on display, or for sale as singles or as a set?

Richard

Comment

skulls

I did not see a single one fake or original.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X