No announcement yet.

Beret skulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an original from behind......................the designer of these things must have been a very persuasive individual to get the SS to accept them.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would have to agree with Robin, they are not the most attractive skulls in the SS inventory. I have photos of what I believe are very good repro eagles out of England. They do have a couple of telltale flaws that could be corrected if they came to light. I would rather not post them. I researched SS beret insignia for about a year and found every photo of real insignia I could get from various forums. I also studied every photo of SS berets or insignia being sold that I could find, plus all I could find in reference books. I still keep any images I come across hoping to add to the photo pool. There was a nice SS beret sold on Collectors Guild recently with what looked like an original eagle, but was missing the skull. Hope this helps some.

Richard

Comment

What are thoughts on this one?
        Attached Files

Comment

Original...Tom

Comment

Mike,

Good close photo! That example shows all the embroidery traits I would characterize as original. It does have kind of a sleepy eye look that I haven't seen, but as I stated before, almost no two seem to be exactly alike. The skull base embroidery looks exactly as it should, and thats very inportant in determining originality. The black outline details throw people off some times because on some thay are exactly on the edge of the skull, and on others they leave a small border of the base color giving it a highlight, like on the ends of the bones. The example you show is also sewn on exactly like my stug example.

I do have a question or two if you don't mind. Is the color off white or silver gray? The flash can make them look almost identical in digital photos. Is it possible to see a shot of the eagle if still attached? Thanks for posting as it backs up many of my earlier contentions. Congratulations if it is yours...very nice to have rare item.

Richard P

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
              Would like a more detailed picture but from that one shot it strikes me as an Original.

B. N. Singer
              Bryon,The pictured is scanned from Mollo's Vol.6
              Richard ,I agree with most of your observations but IMO the good doctor's and Manions are copies.The Guilds beret is unique in that it was issued through the VA (1938) & had lots of use.That's the first one I've seen like that.
              Robin,Thanks for the excellent shot

Mike,Original (IMO)
              __________________________________________________ ______________
              Cheers Steve
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SJP; 01-19-2008, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Mike,

You may be right on the Doc's and Manions, but I still tend to think they are of the off white variety and probably O.K. I know the nose looks over sized on theirs and some other details vary. Remember that these were detailed by two rows of black stitching run by hand so the details could vary from person to person and/or maker to maker. The teeth, nose, eyes, skull lines, bones, and skull outlines were all hand machined twice on each skull. I don't think it was possible to be consistent. Robin's backside shot also shows that it is two side by side rows of black stitching. I also have several back shots and they vary as much as the front.

I'm sorry my camera doesn't take good close-ups but I tried anyway. My skull is very very close to the one posted by Mike Davis when viewed in hand. It is also close to identically sewn on.

Richard P
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is the back of the Doc's skull...please compare it with the example that Robin showed.

Richard
                  Attached Files

Comment

Richard,the photo that you posted showing the backside of the "Docs" is the same pic posted by Robin.

Comment

I think this may be the best thread to date on the SS beret insignia.A good thread once started on GDC but died soon thereafter.I see no problem at all with any of the skulls posted.Because of the manner in which the black details were added each of these skulls vary and likely no two are alike with the exception of course to general construction.

Comment

Richard I can appreciate your efforts at studying the images of originals as good images of such are not easily found.If I might here are some good references to the beret eagle and its "dual" use that you may be interested in."Waffen-SS Kursk 1943 vol.1"(Remy Spezzano RZM pub) page 12 and page 71."Panzer Grenadier der Panzerdivision "Wiking" im bild"(Munin Verlag)page 189.I have more but at the moment I can not recall which books. I will post more references here as the come to mind.

Comment

David,

Too funny...obviously I didn't compare the two before I posted. I knew I had a shot of the back of Doc's stored in my SS beret file, so I just went and grabbed it without comparison. It became rather obvious that Robin had blurred out the background once I looked closer, and after someone else had called me and said the same thing you did. Sorry about that, but the good ones do look like that on the back. Thanks very much for your opinions and the sharing of more references.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
                            I do have a question or two if you don't mind. Is the color off white or silver gray? The flash can make them look almost identical in digital photos. Is it possible to see a shot of the eagle if still attached? Thanks for posting as it backs up many of my earlier contentions. Congratulations if it is yours...very nice to have rare item.
                            Regrettably it isn't mine but a friend allowed me to post. I have asked for more info.

Comment

For what it's worth, here's a tanker shot.................

I found this one on the net as well. Can't recall where.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I thought someone might appreciate seeing pictures of perhaps the world's worst fake SS panzer beret. It would almost have been worth it to buy it and set it on a high end dealers table, photograph it among his latest offerings, all in fun of course. Enjoy...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X