Beret skulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
    I guess all things come to those who wait. At least in this case answers and photos of the SS beret at the MAXX. It is currently for sale on the Oakleaf Militaria website along with beautiful close-up photos. I will post a few of the photos and hopefully we can get some discussion going.

There are some opinions posted on the other thread where I thought I was looking for an SS stug beret. It turned out to be this SS panzer beret instead.

I think the skull is a no brainer...but I will try and keep an open mind.

The eagle...WOW, I would have tossed that baby out as a movie prop eagle because of the cartoonish appearance, but...it may be perfectly legit. Bryon Singer has seen two of this exact type a number of years apart and from good sources. I am sure he will weigh in again and perhaps give more details if there are any more to be had.

Tom (tgn) has seen it in person and with a loop, and if I recall correctly, he is a very experienced long time collector, so I will give due weight to his first hand observations.

I will let others comment and then I will come back and no, I don't have any inside info that would give me an edge...so no surprises from me.

Richard
    I like the totenkopf, but quite frankly, the eagle makes me think of a chicken looking up in the air for any checken hawks that might be fying around. I wouldn't believe that bird ever graced a beret, untill post war applied.
    Last edited by Swan; 04-12-2009, 10:48 AM. Reason: corrected meaning.

Comment

Nice to see this pop back up once in a while. here is an SS beret photo I have not posted yet, so I will now.

Richard
      Attached Files

Comment

BenVK was kind enough to post this SS beret insignia for sale from a dealer in England. I thought it should be put with the rest of the insignia.
        Attached Files

Comment

2. Backside
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is a new photo recently posted by Robert H in another thread.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is an original beret eagle that came up on a dealer site recently. It is already gone I believe. Here are the photos front and back.

Richard
              Attached Files

Comment

2. Backside
                Attached Files

Comment

Made this larger print for him to sign from an original print Thaler gave me, with the the lab's tech junk actually making better detail than the original. Maybe of help, regardless a nice example view and borrowed from my German Cross volume 2 several times.

Comment

Photo of men of the original Sturmgeschütz Batterie (1941) of "Reich" (Eberhard Telkamp on right). Interesting uniform mix, but all wear "I want one" for collectors. The beret must have been a pain to wear in cramped vehicles and hot in summer.

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for your contribution of photos on this thread. Well known photo of Thaler...but it's one I never tire of seeing. The wool on his beret is so roughed up and the eagle looks like it is just balanced loosely on the beret...probably about the best SS beret shot there is.

I have not seen that second photo before, very nice side view shot. Too bad the sturmartillerie guys aren't wearing stug berets...now that would be a photo.

Considering the materials used in the crash helmet construction, leather, oil cloth, heavy felt, wool...sounds like the raw materials for a portable microwave on your head.

Thanks again,

Richard

Comment

Here is a fake, and probably the most current attempt to copy the ever so attractive SS panzer beret skull. It is worthy to be posted on here as we attempt to stay current on copies. Nice blue stitching to help it stand out even more.

Richard
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Yes........ the problems are obvious

Comment

Here is a close match to the hand embroidered skull and was for sale at the Kassel military show. It is well done, but still a product of the 4th Reich.

Richard
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here is a beret skull also from the Kassel show, and is probably the mate to the eagle. They were being sold separately. There is some family resemblance.

Richard
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X