Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

44 dot material, expert help please.

Hi,
    I wonder if someone can tell me if this 44 dot material is original or not. I am not an SS collector so please don't bash me for my ignorance

Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Files

Reverse:
    Attached Files

Comment

I have been reliably informed on numerous occasions that the eagle is good, but now I hear the 44 dot is suspect.
      I can supply other photos if required.

Thanks for you help,
      Steve
      Attached Files
      Last edited by SMP; 10-25-2006, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Need a pic of the whole piece to tell. Eagle looks pretty good, but a whole pic would help...

Comment

Pic:
          As I say, I am pretty confident about the eagle, it is the 44 material I am asking about.
          Thanks,
          Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

I personally beleive that the material is the correct one

Comment

Looks OK from what little I (think I) Know.

B. N. Singer

Comment

A picture of the full piece of material front and back would really help, looks promissing tho...
                Van

Comment

Here is the full front and Im sure SMP dont mind me posting it. Its a much debated thing to find a tropical BeVo on pea pattern camo. Most collectors say its a no-no and that there were only grey insignias applied on this kind of camo. Still we dont know for sure and rumours say there could have been tropical insignias for camo. My knowledge is mostly for the insignias itself and the eagle is ofcourse original and the stitching looks authentic as well. However when comparing with original pea pattern camo (which is really tricky since there are very good repro cloth of the HBT out there), I felt it might be a problem with this camo. I was not sure and therefore I have spoken to a few more advanced camo collectors about this and they have told me its not original camo. The pattern is simply not correct.

/"Felix" - N. Hansson
                  Attached Files

Comment

Bob;

I have followed many discussions about this topic and many advanced collectors have yet not seen an unquestionable real pea pattern jacket with originally applied tropical insignias. Nevertheless I think in some old reference litterature its mentioned that tropical insignias also could be for camo. Therefore we atleast have a rumor that say so.

Hopefully there will be comments from more knowledgeable collectors than myself on this topic.

Cheers,
                    "Felix" N. Hansson

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Thanks also to Felix for explaining why some have had trouble with this piece.
                      So, as I see it ....we have an original eagle on an original piece of material, sewn with what looks like original sewing. The problem is the "wrong" type of eagle for this material ? Yes ?
                      Whilst I can't comment on that, I can relate this from the FJ forum: For years advanced FJ collectors didn't believe that HBT eagles were ever applied to jump smocks - that is until an original smock turned-up with one , and then this piece recently showed up on the forum- direct from the Vet who took it. The beauty of cut-off insignia !

Please can we hear some more views ?

Regards,
                      Steve
                      Attached Files

Comment

This piece wouldn't be something for me. I don't like the print of the camo pattern and I don't like the tropical eagle on it. The first pieces I have heard of with tropical insignia were "found" about 30 years back.

I am still waiting for a piece that "surely" is untouched and has a tropical eagle. IMO all dot pattern items with tropical eagles are altered pieces or right out fakes. I can't remember that Mike Beaver has mentioned any tropical eagles on pieces other than tropical uniforms.

On "dot" items I personally like:
                        - no eagles
                        - RZM eagles
                        - and in fewer cases grey BeVo eagles, these were for some reason not so often used for dot tunics...so the majority is the RZM style or no eagle at all on the later pieces IMO.

Still, I am no dot pattern expert, so you might wait for opinions of such. But as you asked for opinions I thought that even I could go for it.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                          ...So, as I see it ....we have an original eagle on an original piece of material, Please can we hear some more views ?
                          Regards,
                          Steve

Quite Interesting.

The eagles originality to the cloth is (for me) secondary, I would certainly like to know if the camouflage material is reproduction or not.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
                            Quite Interesting.

The eagles originality to the cloth is (for me) secondary, I would certainly like to know if the camouflage material is reproduction or not.

B. N. Singer

Perhaps my wording was not correct...so let me try again.

"I could entertain doubts" as for the authenticy of the fabric.

But there may very well be experts that disagree with me.

So....

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                              Perhaps my wording was not correct...so let me try again.

"I could entertain doubts" as for the authenticy of the fabric.

But there may very well be experts that disagree with me.

Cheers

Fritz
                              Oh Fritz, No, please do not say that!!

I am not taking exception with your opinion! Fact is, I would like to know myself!!!

B. N. Singer

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X