SS-Dienstglas RUKA Rathenow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rutka

Rutka-Rathenow IS the only know factory produced SS binoculars. In addition to the SS contract, they also produced Pol. - Dienstglas binoculars during the same time frame. A long time collector years ago told me that there is a confirmed serial range for these binoculars. Unfortunately, he must of passed away as I no longer saw him at the militaria shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
      Rutka-Rathenow IS the only know factory produced SS binoculars. In addition to the SS contract, they also produced Pol. - Dienstglas binoculars during the same time frame..

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
        Rutka-Rathenow IS the only know factory produced SS binoculars. In addition to the SS contract, they also produced Pol. - Dienstglas binoculars during the same time frame. A long time collector years ago told me that there is a confirmed serial range for these binoculars. Unfortunately, he must of passed away as I no longer saw him at the militaria shows.

Bill,

Benutzer has explained at length why he takes the view that Ruka was the only bino manufacturer who officially made binoculars which were issued with the SS skull and bones. Could you share with forum members the basis on which you share his views. Let me make one thing clear. I have no particular view one way or the other.

Thank you.

mjd

Comment

Ss-dienstglas binoculars

Hi i was doing a search and i came across a set that Dr Strangelove had a picture of in the post for the ss- entfernungsmesser post number 14. it show the same maker as the ones posted in thread 28,they look exact as the ones he posted except they were a different pair. i have to say they dont show any wear on the screws for them to have been removed on neither pair . they are also early binoculars as they didn't have the war time codes on them . the skulls also look the same.i think there is room to say there might be another maker of these binoculars . as far as any other factory papers i have not seen any . i just wondering how many of these with the same maker are out there .

Comment

SS-Dienstglas Vilaba Roma

I am aware of the Runge & Kaulfuss SS contract for binoculars, but I know nothing of the Vilaba Roma contract. I have a Hensoldt 7X50 roof prism marked this way but the are no SS markings on it. Serial number is 500103 which makes me think it is a separate serial block. There is however an SA emblem embossed on the case lid. Can you please tell me more about the Vilaba Roma SS connection? Thanks

Comment

I'm not a native speaker but I will try to do my best.

Villaba is the name of an optical dealer in Rom (Italy) which still exist. A "special" of hiw was /is that all stuff he sell is additionally to the brand he sell marked with VILLABA ROMA. The same we know from an dealer in Germany RODENSTOCK MUNICH.

Hensoldt sold binoculars to the dealer and marked them with VILLABA ROMA and as the SS was in Italy they take the binos from the shope /store and marked them with SS-Dienstglas.

I was in contact with the new owner of the shop in Rom and I bought a ground found SS-Dienstglas Villaba Roma and so I can promise that this is true !!

Comment

ss marked item

hi..
                while i cant comment on the SS binos..
                i have an original ground dug relic spade cover
                with the tk stamp on leather..
                so they are 100 % genuine..
                cheers
                fraser

Comment

Wow !

Originally posted by cobra-2001 View Post
                  Hi i was doing a search and i came across a set that Dr Strangelove had a picture of in the post for the ss- entfernungsmesser post number 14. it show the same maker as the ones posted in thread 28,they look exact as the ones he posted except they were a different pair. i have to say they dont show any wear on the screws for them to have been removed on neither pair . they are also early binoculars as they didn't have the war time codes on them . the skulls also look the same.i think there is room to say there might be another maker of these binoculars . as far as any other factory papers i have not seen any . i just wondering how many of these with the same maker are out there .
                  And I thought my Binoculars were alone in the World !
                  Attached Files

Comment

Maker

Maker, do I need to add how close they are to the previous Binos? No comments about the excessive dust please, the Maid refuses to get near anything with a Skull.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Others

Others
                      Attached Files

Comment

binos

not sure on how to comment..the ss had a very strong presence in Prag so there is a connection there. Also commercial procurement makes sence.
                        But, all you need is a good engraver to pull off those markings. The job was well done..

Comment

Hi Folks,

After reading this thread, I have a feeling the key question remains unanswered: are some RUKA / SS- Dienstglas marked binoculars authentic or are they all fakes?
                          What does the majority think?
                          Messed screws and marking variations, as well as lack of official documentation do not seem to me very strong evidence that a bino must be fake.
                          On the other hand, I would like to see more "bino-only" collectors coming forward to tell their opinion.
                          Thanks.

Comment

well I believe the Ruka binos have a chance...for some time I have wanted to add one to the collection....

Comment

Originally posted by cris2006 View Post
                              After reading this thread, I have a feeling the key question remains unanswered: are some RUKA / SS- Dienstglas marked binoculars authentic or are they all fakes?
                              What does the majority think?
                              Thanks.
                              Binoculars RUKA SS actually existed!
                              In Russia, they are sometimes found during excavations on battlefields:
                              http://hostingkartinok.com/show-imag...e26bf0c3d70779
                              http://hostingkartinok.com/show-imag...a5415ef842bba4
                              http://hostingkartinok.com/show-imag...86261941eeccb6

Comment

Hi All,

Thank you Rusmann and Spanish Freiwillige for your inputs.
                                Back to the Benutzer's original posts on this thread dating 08/09/2009, I noticed that the pictures he put together with marking variations showed not only differences in the skulls, but also very subtle differences in the general alignment of Skull / SS-Dienstglas / 6 X 30 markings.

SRB & STYS PRAG binos appear to have further differences in font and skull.

Rusmann, your first link shows an example with still one more variation: regular "SS" instead of the usual runes of other examples.

I am indeed intrigued / puzzled by the fact that so many variations may have existed.

And all the more because if the SS markings may display many small differences, the same does not seem to apply to the "RUKA Rathenow" logos on the same binos. These logos seem to be a lot more standardized and consistent in terms of alignment, font, etc.

Still, I am a bit reluctant to admit that these facts necessarily mean that these SS marked binos are fakes.

Focusing only on the RUKA examples shown in this thread (SRB & STYS PRAG examples seem to be a different animal altogether), given the level of detail and perfection of the markings shown here (something expensive to reproduce) I would be inclined to think that at least 6 out of the 8 marking variations submitted by Benuzter are good candidates for being considered originals, despite the general aligment and skull variations.

Not sure how many people would agree with this view, I would like more of you to give your opinions.

In the case that actually so many variations of the Skull / SS-Dienstglas / 6 X 30 markings on RUKA binos existed, my next question would be why less variations are encontered on the RUKA logo than on the SS markings.

Many possibilities here, assuming most variations are genuine, I will make up three explanations:

1) SS inspectors required that new SS markings be approved for each production batch (member eisenbahn90 informed in another thread that SS binos by RUKA usually take serial numbers 40xxx, 70xxx, 90xxx and 10xxxx)

2) RUKA subcontracted SS markings from different suppliers, all approved by the SS

3) The SS itself ordered the markings at different suppliers and then supplied RUKA

Obviously, all above assuming most of the RUKA SS marking variations are genuine, not fakes.
                                Let me know your opinions.
                                Thank you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X