• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thx Sgt Bilko
    well done, and absolutely right.
    Greetings .

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

Although it has to be said that some just scream out to you - such as SS-Obersturmführer Karl Orf's binocular on this site;

http://www.defendingarnhem.com/Orfbinos.html

Obviously post war Russian binos messed up by some dodgy character
      This bino is great. Thanks for showing / linking.
      I know that the left side is marked "beh", "KF" and "O".

Comment

Bino fakes

there are no Germany made WW2 binos with only one screw on the plates.
        They must all have 3 screws on the top and bottom plates...
        Russian binos have only one screw.
        Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Bilko View Post
          Although it has to be said that some just scream out to you - such as SS-Obersturmführer Karl Orf's binocular on this site;

http://www.defendingarnhem.com/Orfbinos.html

Obviously post war Russian binos messed up by some dodgy character
          This is a fantasy fake. Nothing like original binoculars SS.
          It is a converted Soviet binoculars KOMZ.
          There are fakes much better!)))
          http://postimg.org/image/siofgym9p/

Comment

Thanks Russman

Thanks Russman
            you are absolutely right.!
            Thanks for your great input.
            Rgds.

Comment

Originally posted by HJ-Marseille View Post
              Sorry to pop in like that...
              I collect binos since 1975 and my father since 1949...
              These "funny" markings only appeared all of a sudden with Ebay and hence Internet.
              Besides, many experts are formal on the fact that the SS had no special dedicated markings on their binos and serveral other items, ( they had on some).
              Also, all ww2 German binos marked with "Dienstglas" and most of the other WW2 Germans are having 3 screws on the top and bottom plates.
              These dont...so IMO...another joke or like already mentioned...done by a money starving "artist".
              Prove (many others and ) me wrong.
              Rgds to all in this great forum.
              HJ-M,

Perhaps they have only appeared on binoculars in Europe since Ebay but they have appeared here in the US on Ruka-Rathenow 6x and 8x binoculars found in the late '60's and early 1970's. That's well before the Internet and Ebay. Not suggesting that all SS marked binoculars are legitimate. Most IMO are not.

That said here's a couple follow up questions for you:

First - as an optics expert do you believe SS deaths head marked Ajack 4x sniper optics are all fake?

Second - if you feel that SS deaths head markings on Ajack 4x sniper optics are period original how can you believe it is impossible that the SS could/would not have marked R-R binoculars in a similar fashion?

Am curious to hear answers to these questions.

Scott
              Last edited by sszza2; 12-19-2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Hi Scott
                these SS with sculls bring $$$$$$.this is why they appeared, also in the 70ies
                BTW anybody here already collecting already in the 60ies??? How can we be sure these sculls on binos and scope were already on the market in this time?
                I started in 1976... travelled a lot into the East block.for my work as an Embassy security..bought a lot there ...
                Same in the West ...never saw a single scull on binos in that time...
                They came up with the first militaria shows and now Ebay...and others...
                I am 1000 % sure and many are the same opinion that the SS used standard binos and scopes... all the rest is pure $$$$ printing... also photoshop makes a lot of things possible pe showing photos with SS showing this stuff.
                Sorry about my opinion...but just check by yourself how crude these sculls are made...compare with real markings...
                Even the SS Polizei only used standard Pol. Dienstglas and no scull.
                Merry X-Mas

Comment

Typo: started in 1975 my bino and militaria collection... but quit little by little... sold most of it...disgusted by all the scams and fakes all over.
                  Sorry about that.

Comment

I wonder if we'll ever see a British "SS" binocular with the skull on?

This guy used a British Ross No5 Bino

http://www.quikmaneuvers.com/waffen_..._training.html

And this guy too;

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=99832

Comment

Thanks Sgt Bilko
                      have a very nice Merry Xmas

Comment

Thanks Sgt Bilko
                        have a very nice Merry Xmas

You too - and all fellow optics collectors!

Comment

Same from my side to all optic and other collectors... you need guts and all best wishes to go on...
                          Seasons Greetings
                          FJW

Comment

Hi Scott
                            these SS with sculls bring $$$$$$.this is why they appeared, also in the 70ies
                            BTW anybody here already collecting already in the 60ies??? How can we be sure these sculls on binos and scope were already on the market in this time?
                            I started in 1976... travelled a lot into the East block.for my work as an Embassy security..bought a lot there ...
                            Same in the West ...never saw a single scull on binos in that time...
                            They came up with the first militaria shows and now Ebay...and others...
                            I am 1000 % sure and many are the same opinion that the SS used standard binos and scopes... all the rest is pure $$$$ printing... also photoshop makes a lot of things possible pe showing photos with SS showing this stuff.
                            Sorry about my opinion...but just check by yourself how crude these sculls are made...compare with real markings...
                            Even the SS Polizei only used standard Pol. Dienstglas and no scull.
                            Merry X-Mas
                            HJ-M,

With all due respect - just because you haven't encountered a marking on binoculars during your long collecting career is evidence of nothing more than that. While interesting it is a relatively meaningless data point unless you can prove you have seen them all. The same rules apply to each of us.

Who was collecting in the 1960's? To answer that question all one needs to do is look at pictures of GI's in the ETO during and immediately after the war. Collecting started as we soon as we landed in Europe and likely before when facing the AK.

SS marked sniper rifles and SS marked Ajack 4x sniper scopes have been well documented and captured examples appeared in US Government (Aberdeen Proving Ground) records just after the end of WW2. So to dispute that none legitimately existed during WW2 is absurd. This is not to say that all sniper rifle variations utilized by the SS were SS marked and had SS marked scopes. Except for a few specific types marked examples were the exception rather than the rule. Same applies to the majority of their equipment. Police arms and equipment are another story.

The bottom line is that some period original SS marked rifles and sniper scopes were produced during the Nazi period. SS marked R-R binoculars surfaced as early as the '60's and early '70's prior to the Internet and Ebay. While the legitimacy of the rilfes/scopes does not guarantee the legitimacy of the binoculars - given the single maker R-R, serial ranges and marking consistencies first observed, for me at least it is not a stretch.

Merry Christmas!

Scott
                            Last edited by sszza2; 12-20-2013, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Hi Scott,
                              up to you to believe in it...most here dont.
                              cheers and seasons greetings

Comment

HJ-M,

Just want to be clear on this. Are you saying that SS marked weapons and scopes selected from battlefields, depots and factories in the ETO and documented to have been added to our US Army Ordnance Museum (Aberdeen Proving Grounds) collection prior to or immediately following the war are fraudulent and cannot be trusted by collectors/researchers?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X