UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luft flight equipment and all that's related.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brightning

hi, fran.
    are you sure about the brick red? I think that is the same story for the 'no yellow' one...
    maybe you have seen a life vest in a colour photo with the colour more bright than the original. I remember that I have seen lots of colour pics where the yellow tabs appears red instead the original colours...
    Do you have the book 'Luftwaffe Aces of the Western Front' ?

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/htmy/1853674869.html

On the cover there's a famous photo of a pilot that straps in his parachute. He is clarely a pilot, but his farbe appear to be red.
    The old colour photos, that you have certanly see, have often the colour that goes towards the brighter tone of itself... and this should be happened to the pics of the brick red life vest. Maybe.
    cheers, frank

Comment

a doubt

...now I have a doubt: and if the photo were coloured?

I have to check the book...as I take it on my hands...this evening at home!

HORRIDO!

Comment

Orthochromatic film is Black and White film sensitive to the green-blue-violet end of the spectrum. The result is some yellows and reds will show up as a darker than true tone. I also understand it that this was more an issue with US films, and less an issue with German films. In any case, this is not an issue with color film.

Further to the issue of the red life LW vest, I believe this is correct, based on a color photo of a bomber crew in a life raft practicing bailout procedure. The vests are clearly a red color. Working from memory only, I think the photo was originally published in a book of color LW photos, titled "Fliegender Front". I think the raft the red-vested men are sitting in, is yellow in the photo, which should settle the issue.

I'm sure somebody can find the photo, its not rare.

Comment

orthochromatic colours

hi 'collectrussia',
          I know perfectly that doesn't exist an orthochromatic colour film.

when I talk about the colours that goes towards other tone, I mean that some old colour photo have often not correctly shade of colour. I have seen in some pilots pics that the hot tone of the yellow in the collar tabs appears to be more bright (towards the orange) than the correct gold/yellow...
          You say that the raft in the picture is still in his correct yellow. Maybe is another shade of yellow, or maybe the life vest is really brick red.

My words wouldn't be the rule, only a supposion...for talk about it!
          If some forum raider should post the pics you say, will be great!

ciao to all!
          frank

Comment

I've checked and there's no such color picture in the -Fliegende Front-book..
            Anyway,here's a era pic where you can clearly see the difference in color in one and the same picture..

Jos.
            Attached Files

Comment

That´s an awesome photo Jos . Clearly showing that both types existed.

Andreas
              Looking for luftwaffe pilot/aircrew portrait photos with flight equipment.

Comment

my fault

oppsssss...
                there are both, dark and light in the same pic...
                So, this is the proof of the existence of both type, is not only the fault of orthochromatic film!
                I'd like to see one, for finally know wich is the right colour of the early 10-30 type.

thanks to jos
                P.s. to jos: any ReVi gunsight to show us?

Comment

Hello all there,
                  I wonder if anyone has ever seen this beauty. This is the only one I ever saw and I was lucky enough to buy it.

It's a personal related piece of equipment, especially for Nachtjager. It is a lamp that can be attached to the Schwimmveste. FL. 32270.

Jos, I am also looking for a wartime picture, where this piece is in wear. Might you have one and share it with us?

Erich
                  Attached Files

Comment

The other picture was one of the backside. Here comes one of the front with the electric on it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Picture of the clip
                      Attached Files

Comment

Frontside
                        Attached Files

Comment

And I am going to close this thread with the lamp in wear on the uniform of a pilot of a Nachtjagdgeschwader.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice lamp,nice mannequin..
                            Will see if I can find some info about the lamp..

About the different colored swimvests..
                            Here's another shot.

Jos.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi all,

I have a question regarding two pairs of LW goggles in my collection. I am not an expert but am trying to become more knowledgeable!

Both have olive green rubber surrounds to the lenses.

The first has a single screw adjuster and is stamped 'OW 43'. Does this stamp indicate manufacturers Wagener & Co ?

The second also has a single screw adjuster and is stamped 'MW 41'. What does MW relate to? Also,it has air vent sliding adjusters below each lens whereas the 'OW 43' does not.

Many thanks for reading this
                              Robert

Comment

Robert,

Your OW goggles are Wagener & Rathenow, and your others sound like (by having the air vents) Leitz-made goggles, which was a feature of theirs.

Gene
                                WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X