X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Controlman

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
      Thanks John. From that article I see the Fire Controlman occupational rating in the USN was created in 1941 when it split off from Gunner's Mate, and whose specialty included range finding and ballistic calculations.

That being the case, m16283's assumption of the German equivalent have the Range Finder's specialty badge makes good sense.

I'd assume therefore to see some variation of the following insignia: rating patch for a Feuerwerksmaat or Oberfeuerwerksmaat, along with the Sonderausbildung Abzeichen (specialty badge) for Entfernungsmesser.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

The FC/FT rating would have operated this type of computer during WW2. It was developed in the 1930s.

It was called the MK 1A and was a very good gear driven computer. Lots of dials with handles to match up and it was extremely accurate. Naturally, as the gears wore out, you had to to rely on the skill of the FT to introduce corrections to known errors. The Weapons Officer and Gunnery Officer, along with the leading FT, would sit down and apply pen and paper corrections for all kinds of variables prior to actually firing the guns which would then be introduced into the 1A.

Once the gun fired, the gunnery officer, normally in a fire control director, would apply visual corrections to the fall of shot. FT's would also be in the director as well as the fire control rooms within the ship. They also had the responsibility of repairing all this equipment while the gunner's mates had the responsibility of the weapon itself.

Usually a ship preferred firing a drop ranging ladder, which was 3 rounds in the air with the first round the furthest away, the middle round hopefully on target, then the next short. Then you would correct with one shot, then fire for effect. When I say all three rounds would be in the air at the same time, that is what I mean and you trained the gun crews and FT's to do this.

I understood from Army officers that some liked to fire the first round on target, correct, then fire for effect. Different circumstances of course for the Army in the field since you are not moving. A ship is.

I think this computer was the best one of any Navy in WW2--at least that is what I heard. If you look at a photo of the fire control system of HMS Hood, you will readily see the difference in concept remembering that the IA was used for guns up to 8 inch only. Other computers were used for the bigger guns.

John
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John R.; 08-27-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Well, here is HMS Hood's system. The German system in Bismarck and Prinz Eugen was far more advanced.

John
          Attached Files

Comment

John, Norm,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I have tried to find info on KM fire control personnel and the rank/career/specialty badges & insignia with not much luck. To me this is especially frustrating since KM's reputation for accurate gunnery. Someone had to point the guns and I know they must have had a system with trained personnel similar to the US. I guess there has not been anything translated yet that would shed more light on it. But I do appreciate you help!

My dad was a FC in Fire Contol Main for the USS Missouri. He was on her from commissioning through the surrender and left her in early 1946. His training in the navy led to a career as a Electronics Technician for over 35 years. The computer you showed and the MK8 range keepers were still in use when the Iowa's were last in service and the navy said they could not improve on them or make them any more accurate. He was very proud of that!

I am really getting hooked on the KM specialty insgnia. Thanks again for your help!
            Last edited by m16287; 08-30-2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by m16287 View Post
              John, Norm,

thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I have tried to find info on KM fire control personnel and the rank/career/specialty badges & insignia. To me this is especially so since KM's reputation for accurate gunnery. Someone had to point the guns and I know they must have had a system with trained personnel similar to the US. I guess there has not been anything translated that would shed more light on it. But I do appreciate you help!

My dad was a FC in Fire Contol Main for the USS Missouri. He was on her from commissioning through the surrender and left her in early 1946. His training in the navy led to a career as a Electronics Technician for over 35 years. The computer you showed was still in use when the Iowa's were last in service and the navy said they could not improve on them or make them any more accurate. He was very proud of that!

Thanks again for your help!
              That is great about your Dad. Yes, that good old MK 1A was around a long time. At least into the mid to late 1970s on destroyers and much later due to the secondary batteries on the battleships (the 5" 38 for both).

It was a reliable and very accurate device but it still needed men who could operate the thing and fix it. Not always such an easy task.

John

Comment

This is an interesting thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=sailor

Comment

Neat. Always knew the KM could shoot!

Comment

John, Norm,

I have another question for you! What career insignia would an Electricians Mate come under? My son is an Electricians Mate PO2 in the US Navy and I would like to show him what his KM counterpart would have worn.

Thanks!

Comment

I do not know without my references around. John

Comment

I think that electricians could come under more than one career, as electrician is a specialty as per KM system.

Here is the photo from a book showing Obermachinenmaat career insignia on top and two specialty insignias of which the lower one is electric technician grade II.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!

If anyone has any info or pics I'd appreciate knowing!

Comment

Did RonR remove his pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by m16287 View Post
                              Did RonR remove his pictures?
                              I did not remove any pictures.

Must be a problem with the move of the forum to a different server.

Hopefully this problem will be fixed along with the other problems.
                              RonR

Comment

Looks like Ron's photos are back!

Thanks to whoever fixed it!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X