Gerd Von Rundstedt tunic for sale at HH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great man ?

And to think he was incarcerated 12 miles from me !!!!!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...wales-12721544

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Harrington View Post

Great link!
      I wonder what happened to his interim baton that he gave to Topham. It went to the Grenadiers Guard museum and then it disappeared.
      The family von Rundstedt had a agreement with Topham that they would get it back. They never did......

Comment

Sold via HH in 90 era!?

Comment

Originally posted by werner p. View Post
          HH tunic , von weichs tunic ( I know the lower pockets are completely different and the number of buttons as well..but compare the upper ones and then compare the previous post)

And yes I am aware of the fact that field marshals had several uniforms.

Would love to see a contemporary picture which is a perfect match with the HH uniforms pockets.

I still keep an open mind
          Position of Collar tabs and cut of collar is different.

Comment

Gentlemen, I do not understand why we are considering if Von Weichs tunic is Like the Von Rundstedt one, he clearly is wearing a Gesellschaftsrock der Officiere
            and Weichs is wearing I think a M35 or 36 type. Rundstedt was a Prussian Gentleman and always went for the Imperialist look.

I 've heard no body mention the different type of stickerei On the tunic collar....

The tunic has allegedly come direct from the family. The Rundstedt family have sold many items to the general public and also have given a Mantel to a German museum, so it is possible this could be one of the items sold by them. In the old days people were not concerned with provenance, not sure if this is actually the case here tho. The tunic and breeches are in a good condition bur there a few little holes scattered on them.

Here is what I have found out....

Elegantly tailored field tunic, complete with all insignia. Manufactured of stone grey worsted fabric (gabardine), the dark green collar set with the special tabs for Generalfeldmarschälle (field marshals) with hand-embroidered gold metal threads on red base, inside white protective collar, the hand-embroidered golden breast eagle hand-sewn on dark green cloth. Sewn-in shoulder boards made of triple golden, heavy general's strip with applied silver crossed marshal's batons (design as from 1942), gilded grained buttons. On left side of breast are loops for ribbon bar and medals.The left hip pocket with slit for bearing officer's dagger. In left breast pocket sewn-in tailor label "Alfred Knuth - Berlin C. 2. Spittelmarkt 15 - von Rundstedt - 27.4.38", below collar "Alfred Knuth - Berlin C2". Back vent with special gilt buttons for securing the belt.
            The breeches with wide red stripes, laced legs and leather trim.
            The field tunic is worn, in good condition, with very few inconspicuous holes, the same goes for the trousers. It was also in an exhipt somewhere in the US, I'm lead to be leave.

In addition a promotion certificate for von Rundstedt (patent) as captain in the general staff, original signature of Wilhelm II, dated 24th March, 1909. Also a framed photograph with Knight's Cross as commander of the Infantry Regiment 18 in Bielefeld and an invitation note "Der FĂĽhrer und Reichskanzler bittet Herrn General der Infanterie von Rundstedt und Frau Gemahlin" (The FĂĽhrer and Reich Chancellor is asking General d. I. von Rundstedt and his wife) to join the evening dinner with the Hungarian Prime Minister Dr. von Daranyi, 25th November, 1937. Also two text lines of an exhibition in English: "Field Marshal von Rundstedt, captured May 1945 by the 7th U.S. Army - von Rundstedt only German General who would not salute Hitler - captured 1945".

Comment

I, too, was wondering why this thread was discussing at length von Weichs jacket. Apples and oranges. His jacket has nothing to do with von Rundstedt's .

Steve
              ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

[QUOTE=Silberkreuz;7939894]Gentlemen, I do not understand why we are considering if Von Weichs tunic is Like the Von Rundstedt one, he clearly is wearing a Gesellschaftsrock der Officiere
                and Weichs is wearing I think a M35 or 36 type. Rundstedt was a Prussian Gentleman and always went for the Imperialist look.

Hi,

I posted the von Weichs tunic to show a comparaison of the pocket flaps. The tips of the flaps of the von Weichs uniform is very much consistent with the pocket flaps of the HH Von Rundstedt uniform. These pocket flaps are much more pointed and curved than the pocket flaps of the uniform he was wearing in the pictures of december 1943- january 1944 when he met with Rommel.

The caption of HH says that this particular uniform was his 1943 uniform.

So I merely pointed out a fact that caught my attention.
                The HH uniforms upper pocket flaps are very pointed, and are similar to the upper pocket flaps of the Von Weichs tunic and differ from the 1943 - 1944 Von Rundstedt uniform when we look at the pictures.

but like you say, it is likely a GFM had more than just one uniform.

All I'd like to see is a contemporary picture of him wearing this HH tunic, where we can clearly see that the pocket flaps are an exact match.

PW
                Interested in all E. Reitz Uniformwerke items.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
                  I, too, was wondering why this thread was discussing at length von Weichs jacket. Apples and oranges. His jacket has nothing to do with von Rundstedt's .

Steve
                  I never said it had anything to do with the VR tunic, I posted it to compare the upper pocket flaps, as I mentioned in the text with the pictures...

If you look at the pocket flap of the HH VR tunic and the pictures of VR with Rommel, then you see apples and oranges.... if you compare the flaps on the HH VR tunic and the picture of the Von Weichs tunic...then you see apples and apples ...

That's my point.

WP

Comment

Hi, now the Von Rundstedt set is now on line with "zoom in "
                    Any comments?

SK

Comment

nice

The whole set looks nice and original to me. But I am no expert in high ranking officers' tunics.
                      I'd really like to see a contemporary picture where he is actually wearing this tunic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Harrington View Post

Difficult one to prove but stuff is out there, you'd be surprised what folk have stashed away I picked up this board in Shrewsbury England not that far from wales in antique shop 2001, I believe came from that camp or another, lots of shoulder boards & material came from POW camps / intelligence officers in UK & Field Marshalls had many variants or tunics available to them. its not all in America.
                        So why not this tunic
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by werner p. View Post
                          The whole set looks nice and original to me. But I am no expert in high ranking officers' tunics.
                          I'd really like to see a contemporary picture where he is actually wearing this tunic.
                          Werner, VR must have had many uniforms, for the office, field, meetings with AH and ceremonial etc. He was always smartly dressed as a Prussian should be.
                          The chance of you finding a pic of him wearing that tunic with the Crimson strip will be very difficult as I don't think the red would stand out in a B/W photo... Someone pls prove me wrong and quickly

All the insignia looks good..
                          What as happened to the collar insignia, the unterlagen seems to have moved forward on both sides ??

Not to get away from this thread, but Goring had over 50 uniforms, most were burnt on his boat by the Americans.

At the end of the day there is no provenance that this set belonged to VR.
                          The typed name tag...... never a good way of proving it either. Even a written name tag does not prove it either, there is 2 high ranking tunic sets for sale by a German dealer... Wonder who that can be..... With written name tags and Holtlers tags..
                          Without provenance it's a waste of money.
                          I am very disappointed myself would love to own it, such a prominent figure of history but no provenance.
                          Sk

Comment

Arthur, that is a beautiful looking device, congrats on your find.
                            I had a silver Baton single device that came from that camp.
                            The English Officers/soldiers treated many of the SS General's really badly and confiscated most of their belongings. Demel Huber was treated extremely badly and stripped of everything he owned... So yes these guards/officers had plenty of war booty.
                            Sk

Comment

One more Von Rundstedt uniform for sale at HH now

collar tabs are that of a general, shoulder boards are those of a field marshal
                              Attached Files

Comment

This one also wasn’t his.
                                IMHO.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X