No announcement yet.

DAK Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just came across this thread and would like to pose a question regarding the wearing of the "Afrikakorps" cuffband by those authorized to receive it. If I have followed this correctly, some believe only the very first into Africa would have been considered DAK and therefore would have been the only personnel authorized to wear it, which would seem to indicate it should only be seen on 1st pattern tunics. But there are period photos of 2nd pattern tunics in wear having the "Afrikakorps" cuffband which I think would place them later into 1941 at a minimum and could even be well into 1942 when they were issued their 2nd pattern tunics and subsequently attached the cuffband in place. To me this would indicate that it was not necessarily only worn by the very first to enter Africa, and the soldbuch mentioned by DAKcollector1 ---- I had a soldbuch to recipient of the "Afrikakorps" armelband ~ although he did not arrive in North Afrika until late 1942, but was posted to a unit formerly comprised under "Aufklarungsstab Rommel" ---- also suggests they could most likely have been attached and worn in the later part of 1942.

I hope I have written this in a manner which accurately conveys the information I would like to determine and I'd be very interested in further discussion of my thoughts toward this topic.

Comment

Hello

The AKCT was authorised in July '41, awarded to anyone serving for two months in Afrika including the DAK and all the other units from Feb '41 to late '42 when it was discontinued and replaced in '43 by the Afrika Ct that was a campaign Ct (which was not in time to be worn in Afrika).

Here on the Forum who exactly were the DAK and who were not never has been nailed down. Some think it is just about any unit in Afrika, while others will tell you its just the first original units before it was expanded to Pz Army Afrika etc. The 5th Lt & 15Pz Div and maybe the 90th Lt too.

Most 2nd patterns with AKCT's have been added postwar though there are some Wartime photos of them with the AKCT. Especially in Tunisia when the DAK was rebuilt with wounded cadre that had served in Afrika before.

The AKCT was awarded to some LW units as well so not only was it awarded to the DAK but many of the support units in Afrika. Around 300,000 were made. The early olive ones are the ones to look for...hope this helps.
      Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 07-11-2011, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X