MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Askold's WH foreign volunteer collection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to see you picked up some rare insignia. Thanks for showing!

Comment

very interesting insignia

Comment

Thank you guys!

Comment

Really nice Askold, especially the cockades!

I've lost most of my foreign vol. collection to flooding [SS Sandy].. Riker cases full of arm shields, cockades, medals,badges from all countries [specializing in Ukraine] . Stacks of documents, ID books, photos, tunics, ID tags etc.... Seeing Askolds pieces like these in this topic warms my heart. These items are better than most museums have!

Please remember guys,,WE are the ones preserving history. Make sure your collection is safe. I'm not talking about collectors insurance,,,that insurance can't get your items [many one of a kind] back!
          Safe from thieves, fire, water, poor conservation etc. Once its gone,,its gone for good.. Its a pleasure to see this stuff, really is. Keep hunting it up guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
            Really nice Askold, especially the cockades!

I've lost most of my foreign vol. collection to flooding [SS Sandy].. Riker cases full of arm shields, cockades, medals,badges from all countries [specializing in Ukraine] . Stacks of documents, ID books, photos, tunics, ID tags etc.... Seeing Askolds pieces like these in this topic warms my heart. These items are better than most museums have!

Please remember guys,,WE are the ones preserving history. Make sure your collection is safe. I'm not talking about collectors insurance,,,that insurance can't get your items [many one of a kind] back!
            Safe from thieves, fire, water, poor conservation etc. Once its gone,,its gone for good.. Its a pleasure to see this stuff, really is. Keep hunting it up guys!!
            Sad to hear of the fate of your collection Gaspare, you have given sound advice for all collectors to consider no matter the focus of their collections!

Askold you have a great collection! I enjoyed looking this thread over and all the great foreign vol. items you and others have posted. glad to see the thread has popped back up and hope others have some items to add.

Kevin

Comment

Thank you for the kind words Weissner! I am hoping that others who collect volunteers would also share their finds, this is such an interesting field to study.

Gaspare - I am very sorry to hear about your loss! I remember seeing some photos of your collection, its very sad to know that it got destroyed. Did you manage to salvage anything?

I completely agree that it is us who preserve history and it is important to document all our findings. Few weeks ago, I spent couple of hours and scanned most of my collection in hi res scans. That way a digital copy of everything is preserved and can be used in future publications.

Comment

,, managed to save a YBB jacket and 2 POA jackets. My ring collection, some Wolchowstocks, a few other odd items.

Photographing your collection is a great idea! Some guys keep a inventory book with the item, quantity ,condition and even where they got the piece from. Paperwork, documents, IDs etc. got to go in Mylar bags with acid free backings. Jackets etc. in some sort of protective garment bag. There's all sorts of things to do.
                Askold, your collection rivals [or better than] some museums I've seen. Do whatever you got to do to keep it yours and safe for future generations.

Comment

Is it just me or are all of Askolds pictures coming up as broken links?

Comment

Gaspare, thank you again for your comments! The rarest items I keep in the bank, while the rest is in the frames. I am very happy that you managed to salvege the YBB jacket, that is great and rare item.

Nutmeg:

The other forum where I host the photos has been having some problems recently - as result, the links come up broken. Hopefuly the service would be restored soon.

P.S. Just checked right now - everything is showing.

Comment

Вітаю Аскольде,

Фантастична колекція
                      Я свою, нажаль, колись розпродав... Залишилась тільки кокарда, що на аватарі

Слава Україні!

OST.

Comment

Дякую друже!

Шкода чути що ти свою розпродав, а кокарду з тризубом тепер хіба на військову кепку

Смерть Ворогам!

Comment

Hello nakta,
                          Please what it is for a badge on image # 10
                          that with the eagle and the Latvis sign in metal in the center of the photo?
                          Würdes you imagine it to be?
                          Thank you very much

Comment

Hello,
                            please someone has information about this badge
                            of the Latvia Night Battle Group 12 (NSG 12) in the Luftwaffe?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kurt,

This is a veteran's badge, commemorating Latvian volunteers in Luftwaffe - mainly members of Latvian Air Legion, that formed the Night Battle Group 12 (Nachtschlagtgruppe 12). Number 50 is for the 50th anniversary from the creation of the Legion, the badge was produced in 1993 or 1994. The silver finish is for the officers, there is also a bronze one for the enlisted men. A rare item in my opinion, I only seen about 4 or 5 of such badges around.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X