EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hj eickhorn dagger etched blut und ehre?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the other known one Billy G. is referring to in his post
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is another one you won't find in a catalog or in pictures being worn
      Attached Files

Comment

There's (Provenance) collectors and there are (Close Enough) collectors.
        -Provenance being historically documented and proven items.
        -Close Enough being excuses as to why there is no historical data and instant comparisons to a Provenance item...

Personally I enjoy having items I can see in photos or read exact descriptions of.

You'll notice with (Provenance) collectors there's a point where they collect multiples of a high end item because they've expended the known collections of a source as with (Close Enough) collectors they always seem to find something "Super Rare" out of nowhere, many times in great numbers and an amazing story... huh...

To each his own. This is just how I view items that turn up with no historical data. I look forward to information surfacing validating said items. I will exclaim with great surprise... "well I be damned!!!" I truly expect this to happen as I am constantly trying to expand my knowledge in these areas.

Look at it this way, More super rares available for those that find these items without question authentic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
          Yes, I am glad both of you can realize that what the true facts are
          You're missing the point but if we are talking about facts here's one: you have called the type with HJ diamond on the handle "HJ honour dagger" in the past and it doesn't matter how many times you say it, it is never going to be a fact until you can prove it - which to date you have not. Are they HJ honour daggers or not? If they are, where is the evidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Cracked View Post
            You're missing the point but if we are talking about facts here's one: you have called the type with HJ diamond on the handle "HJ honour dagger" in the past and it doesn't matter how many times you say it, it is never going to be a fact until you can prove it - which to date you have not. Are they HJ honour daggers or not? If they are, where is the evidence?
            I believe the term "HJ Honor Bayonet" is something not based in period documentation but probably more attributed to dealers &/or collectors and their somewhat deficient understanding of an item or it's intended use.

These blades are more than likely private purchase items constructed from parts available at the time and finished for the purchaser. I would love to see documentation from a Carl Wüsthof catalogue that attributes these items to a purpose but this info hasn't seen the light of day yet.

These items are not for everyone. Some believe they never existed, some believe they did, whatever suits people is fine by me. But to equate the fact that an item merely exists as proof of its presumed or speculated purpose (some honor or achievement) seems foolhardy. They simply appear to be some type of fighting knife embellished with HJ & occasionally SS motifs. The mere absence of a catalogue entry doesn't completely refute that the item wasn't produced during the period because they do not seem to have been produced to any specific standard. It's also trying to prove a negative.

Comment

It doesn't matter what they are called. It doesn't matter what the vet's story is. It does matter what the seller's theory is. What matters is whether they were made pre 1945 or not. And no one has explained how you can tell that.

Comment

So am I reading this thread right ??.....there is no period photos of this type of knife in wear?
                Cheers
                Gary
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wood View Post
                  So am I reading this thread right ??.....there is no period photos of this type of knife in wear?
                  Cheers
                  Gary
                  Not that I have seen with the etched hilt.
                  That said, the etchings are deep on these examples and I have no doubt that they were period produced.

-Serge

Comment

Originally posted by Serge M. View Post
                    Not that I have seen with the etched hilt.
                    That said, the etchings are deep on these examples and I have no doubt that they were period produced.

-Serge
                    Serge,
                    I have no doubt either the one pictured above was shown to me at a show...his uncle had brought it back ....wasn’t for sale he just wanted to know more about it....but I read that there are no surfaced regulations or photos ....and that puts doubt on them in some circles ....there are of course many things with out either that are excepted as period.....but I can put this to rest ....just wondered is anyone wanted to see a photo of this in wear?
                    Cheers
                    Gary

Comment

Yes plase!!

Comment

Ron here is a clipped part of the photo
                        Attached Files

Comment

The full photo ...one of two where the individual is wearing the same knife the other photo he is wearing a brown shirt...but that belongs to a friend so I cannot post
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wonderful. Notice the two early tinnies in the HJ member. Where are all the naysayers now?

Comment

Can anyone make out the triangle?

Comment

Great photo , thanks Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X