JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hj eickhorn dagger etched blut und ehre?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there pre-1933 pictures of them in use or catalog descriptions? Why do some have the HJ motto and some the SS motto? Why couldn't someone take an ordinary pre-1933 dagger and add the motto post war? Is it because the workmanship is obviously original on the good ones?
    Last edited by BrianK; 01-31-2019, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
      Are there pre-1933 pictures of them in use or catalog descriptions? Why do some have the HJ motto and some the SS motto? Why couldn't someone take an ordinary pre-1933 dagger and add the motto post war? Is it because the workmanship is obviously original on the good ones?
      Maybe all of the Kriegsmarine dagger blades have been fabricated post war from original plain blade versions?
      Some with the ship motif and others with the anchor...

I have plenty of WWII edged weapons of which not any period "in wear" photograph exists, nor have I discovered a drawing in the maker's catalogue ... Actually, that counts for most of the rare items!

Any serious blade collector knows that when you always find typical features with one and the same maker, that you are dealing with good, period stuff.

This type of Carl Wüsthöf, heavy fighting knife, dating from the late 1920 and/or early 1930 is even more rare to find with a plain blade and pommel than with etches on it!

So far, I have found only one of this model! (see 2nd right on picture).

But maybe I got unlucky... anyone has a plain version to show?

Best regards,

Victorman
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your response and the posting of the photos. I didn't mean to call into question the authenticity of your examples. It's just that I had never seen a "HJ honor bayonet" before this thread, and with the controversy concerning DJ knives, HJ Olympic knives, and HJ Party Day knives, questions could be raised concerning altered HJ knives.

Comment

Here are some pictures of an HJ "honor bayonet" I owned at one time. There was no evidence of paint on the pommel etch although I have seen some with paint.

The overall quality was really superb as was the etch, the item was much heavier in hand than it appears. I purchased the item from an auction many years ago of an old collection that was being liquidated. I have seen fakes but never one with the SS motto.

This was only the 2nd example I've observed with a stag grip and SS motto. The other, which has been pictured in a number of old reference books, belongs to Ron Weinand. Ron's has a type of frog hanging device, mine only had a belt loop.
          Attached Files

Comment

A view of the grip plates.
            Attached Files

Comment

Reverse blade with trade name for Carl Wüsthof.
              Attached Files

Comment

Maker's mark
                Attached Files

Comment

Obverse blade with SS motto. I can't answer why an early HJ knife would sport an SS motto, some also have Blut und Ehre, like Victorman's examples.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Victorman and Billy G are correct. I have bee fighting this war about these Wusthof & Eickhorn pieces for decades. I believe they were prototypes produced in 1933 or early 34., hence different mottos and designs and all were not HJ related, especially the one with the swastika in a red circle. All are rare and MOST are in used condition. Heavy quality.

Comment

Here is my favorite one of this type
                      Attached Files

Comment

There is zero evidence that the Hitler Youth ever knew of this so-called "honour dagger". This should be remembered I think. These knives remind me of other items like the HJ leader rings and the "DJ" knife for which there is also zero period evidence confirming that the HJ would have known about them and that the terms are even correct. Despite that, some will continue to remain stubbornly unimpressed. This "HJ honour dagger" moniker is nothing more than a made-up term - until someone can prove otherwise.

Comment

Again, as these were sample or prototype run in my opinion there would be no catalog, photos or other documentation. Early in development as with other items, there was no standardization.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
                            Again, as these were sample or prototype run in my opinion there would be no catalog, photos or other documentation. Early in development as with other items, there was no standardization.
                            All I read was... "there's no proof, but it's real".... My opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Almost Samurai View Post
                              All I read was... "there's no proof, but it's real".... My opinion.
                              Yup. That's exactly how I read it too. "There's no period evidence to deny it so these knives are what we say they are"

Comment

Yes, I am glad both of you can realize that what the true facts are

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X