AlsacDirect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS High Leader Prototype Dagger - Anyone Ever Encountered One Before? Oldtimers?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS High Leader Prototype Dagger - Anyone Ever Encountered One Before? Oldtimers?

There are not many times that I say buying a repro is advisable, this is one of those times. I did actually get this from the family of a Vet. He went to gun shows as I understand and collect up until approx. the 70's.

There is a nice shadow over the scabbard where the eagle covered it. This is the first dagger I have ever seen or or heard of like this. I posted it over at Germandaggers.com, in the repro section but it has gotten little traffic.

http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums...3/m/9450095445

Based on comments and my suspicisions, it's an early Atwood SS High Leader prototype. The quality is excellent. It appears to have original parts, modified in the case of the scabbard married up with nice SS crossguard and pommel.

Anyone run across one? I don't have Stephen's Book, is this like the one in there?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Colorado; 03-29-2008, 07:56 AM.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Jeff,

Wow, you've been busy! Wild looking piece, can't say I've ever seen one of those in hand. First glance leads me to think you're right on with your Atwood suspicions though, still a valuable piece if so IMO. If you've noticed, even well made reproductions are developing a niche of collectors in their own right.

Comment

The 'prototypes' usually have black grips. Never seen a white one.

I think John Pepera has one that is generally accepted as being an original.

Comment

Good point Robin, I also think the few I've seen pictures of had a ferrule with a filigree or swaz motif.

Comment

Jeff, while Fred's books( both editions!) show the same pic of the white gripped SS proto. It looks just like what you show here. He does not show the blade only from the 1st hanging ring upwards. It looks like your with the "grinnin chicken" as I call it. me thinks it a bit funny to make up names I can remember for stuff, sorry. He also shows in edition #2 the black gripped piece that is mentioned above also. The black and white photos do no real good to anyone but they do show the basics. The blacked griped piece exhibits the swaz ferrels mentioned. also looks like leather covered scabbard. the crossguard is much more defined on the black gripped piece.The pommel runes are also or look to be more squared off and not as "soft" as the examples shown with white grips.
                        On the blacked griped pieces: Fred states that as of the 1981 printing of vol. #2 3 black griped pieces were to have been produced by Muller but as we all know never taken to the full term of making them for wear. so far 5 of the 3 pieces have surfaced. Take that for what it is. A neat piece you have no matter. take a ton of great close ups and other types of documentation and post it all. it would be much more info than exists to date on the white gripped pieces. And it would be a great reference tool!!!
                        Bret

Comment

Thanks for the replies. This one will make a good research project. I will take to MAX with me and let some the old hands look it over.

It's quite stunning in person, other than being out of balance (top heavy), it has a good feel and the blade moves in and out of the scabbard like it should.

Comment

Bret - You and I posted at the same time. Thanks for the additional info, I appreciate that. I like the grinning chicken

Comment

1939 SS Dagger

Here's a period picture of the prototype 1939 SS Dagger. Not a leader dagger but a replacement for the Model 1933 according to the picture info that dates from 1939.

Caption:

'SS-Dolch von 1939
                              SS-Dolch von 1939; der von Reichsführer SS Heinrich Himmler ausgewählte Entwurf sollte das Modell von 1933 ersetzen, kam aber infolge des Krieges nicht mehr zur Ausführung'

Roughly translates to :
                              SS dagger of 1939; The prototype chosen by leader SS Heinrich Himmler to replace the model of 1933, however, as a result of the war not introduced.

I much prefer the M1933 myself. Good decision not to introduce it Mr. Himmler
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X