Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the first time that I have been able to identify two consecutively numbered daggers as well. Here is SS No. 139 453 to follow 139 452 on the previous page. The numbers appear to be very similar in style.

Enjoy!

Ross Kelbaugh
    Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic work Ross.

Any details on these officers careers you can post ?

Comment

Hi Slayer:

All of these daggers I have posted so far belonged to non-commissioned officers or enlisted men. Consequently, the Dienstalterslistes and the information it gives on those SS officers did not help in the identification of these daggers or research of the lives of their SS owners. This is why they remained unidentified until this past year after I commenced my research. Most, but surprisingly, not all SS officers have a personnel file in the National Archives making their military careers easier to research. For the NCO's and enlisted men, you have to rely on other records such as the very incomplete grouping of Enlisted Men Files, Race & Settlement Files (SS men and their mates had to apply for permission to marry to insure the purity of the bloodline) and NSDAP membership (also surprising that not all SS members were members of the party) to research these men. When a NCO or enlisted man is identified, I hope to not only find their photographs (those of the SS Mann in his uniform are most desirable but least common), but his SS-Stammkarte or personnel card which gives a snapshot of his SS career. Attached is an example of one found in U'Scharf. Ludwig Biermann's Race & Settlement File. I have also added a brief guide that I created for my Documentation Portfolios to interpret this information since this is essential knowledge if you are going to collect and research identified SS daggers. At the end of war when all of the captured SS records were processed, the Race & Settlement file for a SS Mann, if one existed, often became a repository for many of his military documents in addition to those required by the marriage application process. This holds true for SS officers as well as NCO's and enlisted men.

Enjoy!

Ross Kelbaugh
        Attached Files
        Last edited by RossK; 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Here is a guide I created for the interpretation of one of the most common formats for the SS-Stammkarte. These come in several variations, but the information contained is similar to this one. One variation allows for making note of attendance at important NSDAP rallies as well.

Ross Kelbaugh
          Attached Files

Comment

Several of the forms required for the Race & Settlement marriage application can give invaluable information about the SS Mann as well. Biermann's file contained his Fragebogen or personal questionnaire which adds some information about his SA membership and even his phone number. It often takes many scattered pieces of information to assemble a picture of these people and hence breath life into the objects we collect.

Ross Kelbaugh
            Attached Files

Comment

Ross, Fantastic Research (!)

Ross,

What additional Fantastic Research & helpful documentation (!)

Your tenacious research efforts have opened the doors to a TR knowledge base, which we were told did not exist.

The hobby is very fortunate that you, as a Collector and as an Historian, have taken the time & the interest to search through all of this fantastic information and then make it available to us, as Collectors.

The numbered SS Daggers which you have researched for me have an even greater historical perspective - since there is a name, rank, photo and information regarding the original SS Mann.

Keep up your great work!! ... ... ... Txs, Dave/dblmed

Comment

hallo, need help!!!! ss nr. 132158

Comment

Hi

The owner of your dagger (132158) was Hstuf. Georg Urabl.

In 1940, he was an Untersturmführer in LSSAH.

Nice find

Raymond

Comment

hallo, wow, thank you!! hafe you pictures or any dokuments from this man?

best regarts

Comment

Hi

Sadly, no documents or pictures, just some general information.

The best person to contact to get the SS file for your man is John P. Moore. It would be well worth the small investment to get the file and add some history to your dagger.

He is a member of the forum and here is a link to his profile where you will be able to contact him.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...er.php?u=11458

Good luck and perhaps you can let us know of any progress you make

Raymond

Comment

Hi All:

Thought I would post some more examples of the research that can be found to interpret the numbered daggers. Thsi is an example of another format used for the SS Mann's personnel record card. This one was for Thomas Schieben, SS No. 49 791, whose dagger I posted previously.

Ross Kelbaugh
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is close-up of the left portion of the document. Note that this form had a box in column 2 for noting attendance at the major NSDAP rallies. Evidently Schieben did not attend any of these events. If he had, the rally would have been underlined. Note in the box just below that he had received his Ehrendolch. It is the ground Röhm Boker that is illustrated here and in Wittman's SS tome on p. 149. I was excited to find the documentation for the existing dagger.

Ross Kelbaugh

Comment

Trying the image post again.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by RossK; 03-09-2008, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Here is a close-up of the right side of the card. Note that column 4 records that Schienben had seen service in WWI in the Field Artillery along with his awards. His current assignment was with the Music in SS-Standarte 5.

Ross Kelbaugh

Comment

Posting the image again.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by RossK; 03-09-2008, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X