Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interesting thread and I hope it continues.

My numbered SS partial Rohm is documented in Johnson's Volume VII. Although it had a very low number (4403), the original owner was a farm boy and only an Untersturmfuhrer. What's most interesting about it though is at the time I did the research, he was still alive in his early 80s and I wrote to him and actually got a reply. So the provenance for this dagger also contains a letter from the SS officer that owned it. Not something you see every day.

With respect to low SS numbers not being in The Key and hence not belonging to officers, I have a theory about that.

At the time, many young men without jobs and the depression looming would have joined the SS. These strapping youths in their mid 20s would have been tough street fighters used by Hitler as bodyguards at his early speaking rallies as well as the bully boys who fought the Communists and other "agitators" in the bloody and often deadly street battles of pre-war Germany.

Most would have had low or no education, would not have been promoted up through the ranks and would have remained enlisted men and most would eventually end up in the Waffen-SS.

If you look at the Dienstalterslistes, most high ranking officers were either intellectuals (many doctors) or ex-Army officers (aristocrats, etc), but all having higher education. There are obvious exceptions in the Waffen-SS where good soldiers and tacticians would progress up through the ranks.

Again, just a theory of mine.

Comment

I have two Rohm daggers, both numbered.

The first was given to an enlisted who graduated from Bad Tolz in 1937 and was assigned to Thuringen division. Became a Captain and never heard from again.

The other one was a lieutenant in the allgemeine SS when he received the dagger. Served in the Deutchland division as a pioneer. Also attended Bad Tolz. Ended up a colonel before getting killed in late 1944.

Comment

Wizzard... you can't tell us all that and not show any pictures...

You too Mr Brule...

Comment

Revisiting this one, some pics please Wizard & Bernie.

Any more come up lately ?

Comment

Not trying to be rude.

I no longer have the second SS dagger.

Am too lazy to take pics of the first.

Comment

Nice thread! Here is mine. An early model 33 with serial number. The research is currently being done but it belonged to Obersturmfuhrer Karl Winterhoff. He is also an Honor Ring recipient. He was listed in one of the earlier SS rank lists-'34 or '35. Anyway here are a few pics...Cheers...Jeff
              Attached Files

Comment

pic 2
                Attached Files

Comment

pic 3
                  Attached Files

Comment

pic 4
                    Attached Files

Comment

pic 5
                      Attached Files

Comment

unable to post [im thick anyway] but ive got a dagger numbered 2181 belonging to an untersturmfurher of the 31 standarte. partei no. 338,612. name of ferdinand herzig. anyone got a lower numbered one? im quite proud of mine, although the grip seen better days. phil

Comment

Hi Phil, if you have got some pics of it, I would be happy to post them for you. I would really like to see it

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by PHILBROWN View Post
                            unable to post [im thick anyway] but ive got a dagger numbered 2181 belonging to an untersturmfurher of the 31 standarte. partei no. 338,612. name of ferdinand herzig. anyone got a lower numbered one? im quite proud of mine, although the grip seen better days. phil

Phil-

Like Ade, I would very much like to see this dagger!

Rob

Comment

Ground Roehm M33 Boker

HI Guys:

Here's mine. #46315 Richard Heib. I've got the research on him up to 1943 when he joined the WSS. At one time this dagger had either a chain or set of Army Daggers affixed to it (see original post at: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=186227).

Dagger purchased from Craig Gottlieb years ago.

NOTE: This dagger is on E-Stand for sale if interested.

Larry
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Larry Foley; 01-21-2007, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Shot 2

Shot 2
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X