No announcement yet.

Development of Panzer throat mikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For good measure, let's cover the plug as well, as otherwise I see that someone is about to make a bad choice.
    Note how the prongs are split in the post war conversion.
    Attached Files

Comment

Kmfc, M44 Throat mike variant

Today, when I picked up a Kmfc throat mike at a show, I realized for the first time that there were manufacturing variations in this last 1944 model throat mike as well. It struck me as having a smaller than usual switch unit, and indeed when I compared it at home with my other Kmfcs it was smaller. I've never seen this variation before, and because it came out as late as 1944, I thought it was all made by one company without variations, but this new discovery proved otherwise. The smaller variation is shown on the left.
      Attached Files

Comment

I had the luck to find another pre-war Kmf4 throat mike, but interestingly this one is modified with war-time updated parts and seemed to have been in use as late as 1944. The switching unit is from the Kmf4, but the cord and mike unit have been updated and the carbon mike capsule carries 1944 markings.
        In the comparison photo, the left one is in the pre 1938 configuration and the right, the recycled switch unit. The switch unit casing shows variation, as one has screws showing on the obverse side, while the other is screwed from the back.
        Attached Files

Comment

Rear shows modification to the recycled unit.
          Attached Files

Comment

Great Thread...I have four pairs of headphones/throat mike sets..looks like one of four of the hadphones are the ground up fakes..wow..spot on to your comparison.the other three are good..and the throat mikes are all good..at least that something! Thanks for the head up..the bad pair of "headphones" came from a VERY reputable dealer..with ties to Czech boys....guess I need to "trust but verify"...good lesson to learn.

P.S. The fakers are learning too..the "fake" set I have do NOT have the black braid in the cording...but the other indicators are there.
            Last edited by Scott A. Hess; 05-22-2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Scott, thank you for your comment. It's good to know that I am able to help prevent the spread of those fakes that almost every reputable dealer has been selling recently, knowingly or out of complacency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                Scott, thank you for your comment. It's good to know that I am able to help prevent the spread of those fakes that almost every reputable dealer has been selling recently, knowingly or out of complacency.

Thanks to you Nick..guess now I need to find another "real" pair...i have one of the pair (real I belive) that lacks the metal/leather handband...and is only leather..one of the Kopfhoerer sets came in its original box 20 years ago..still apart..before these fakes...
                I should have realized something was up when these sets kept popping up "everywhere" and cheap..I knew they were doing the plastic ear cups..but total ground up..didn't know the extent to which they were being fabricated..these dealers I'm sure know better..however..its still my fault for not keeping up to date on the new stuff, (was told by at least one dealer the fabricated plastic ear cups were "just" being put on real hardware...ooops!)...and that's where the forum and individual such as yourself play a very important role

Comment

This is very good and helpful thread Nick

thank you very much for your time and research in this field,i just purchased late war 1944 model and wore confused as they looked different in every way from the other pair i have,i only knew so little about and now with your help i feel much more confident about what i am buying,also the most important thing is i can help others,thanks to you !!!

best wishes,

Eddie

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. It's good to know that I could help. These items were somehow not so easy to find back in the 70s when I started collecting, so I developed a craving for them until, in the 90s, the supply increased quite dramatically, making them not that special anymore. But still the early memory of a sense of deprivation draws me to them even now.

Comment

Hello Nick,

I was revising my Panzer headsets and realised that 2 out of 8 didn't have the leather cover for the headband. Neither of them had the 'DFH.b' on either side frame, nor maker stamp to be seen BUT once I dismounted the earphones I found that BOTH headsets were stamped 'dnz' inside (dnz=Schwarzwaelder Apparate-Bauanstalt, August Schwek Schwer u. Soehne, Villingen). As both are dated 44 it makes me think that perhaps this maker stopped providing the leather cover for the headband in that date. It would be good if other members could confirm my suspicion, so we could make clear that those headsets have not lost the leather but were made just like that.

Carles
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by me6_130; 11-12-2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Interesting discovery, Carles. Let's hope we get enough people with headsets lacking the leather cover on the band to chip in and confirm your theory (the Bald August Theory).
                        Some background for people who don't know what we are talking about. I have seen several headsets on sale this year that were dated 1945 that came with no leather covering. At first, I dismissed them as ones that for some reason had the leather removed after manufacture, but when you see some nice conditioned ones in succession having no leather, you begin to suspect perhaps they were made that way to conserve material. When I asked Carles what he thought, he replied that he'd seem them like that already from 1944. I have a SABA manufactured 44 at hand、but that is leather covered. Carles point is that this feature or the lack thereof must be associated with the manufacturer dnz and he is saying that they exhibit another uniqueness of not having the "Dfbh" stamping on the bridge band showing just above the ball bearing. Normally the band on either side will have that stamping, but he says dnz has none. dnz owners and owners in general of "Bald" headsets please let us hear from you.

Comment

Headphones

Nick,
                          I for some reason cannot post pictures on this site, and have a question to ask. I purchased a set of headphones from a collector, that was still in its original...so I've been told...box. The headphones do show features that you state are indications of the original...ie, round screws, brown cord, but upon closer inspection today, I unscrewed the earpiece and see that it has "SABA" inscribed, and as the brown cord exits the earpiece, there is no leather, (or spring) reinforcement surrounding the cords connection with the metal earpiece cup?? If you need it, I can email pics to you..just PM me your email address.....many thanks.

Jack

Comment

Minty boxed ones surfaced in the early 90s in large quantities. Yours sounds like one of them.
                            I have several of those back home and not here, but I can't remember whether they had the leather covering at the exist. I wouldn't get too alarmed about it not having that feature.

Comment

Headphones

Nick,
                              Thank you, yes, he did state that they were purchased about 20 years ago, and other than the rubber earcups, as one is a little dissfigured, they are mint. Is there any place that one can purchase either original, or newly made rubber earcups to give the set a more "Correct" appearance look?

Jack

Comment

The repros are naturally sold as originals and loose originals are unlikely, so if you want a good replacement you have to be ready to pay about 80 Euros for a repro pair or scavenge from a relic,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X