Development of Panzer throat mikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Development of Panzer throat mikes

For a collector of Panzer uniforms, the headset and throat mike are essentials to complete a setup. However, even those collectors that can explain the differences between first type, second type and third type wrappers, stitch by stitch, almost never extend that level of attention to detail to the headset and throat mike, I suppose, due to the absence of information on the evolution and variety of these accessories.

I was aware that early Panzer headsets had orange-brown ear pads instead of black as these stand out even in black & white photos, but otherwise I naively thought that one set of headset and throat mike would go with all my wrappers. That was until my interest started to expand into Panzer radio systems, and I got hold of the book “Die deutschen Funknachrichtenanlagen bis 1945 Band 3”, dedicated to the subject.

This book also briefly covers the development of the headsets and throat mikes, which despite its brevity, I found to be a huge eye opener. Having owned more than 50 throat mikes over the years, I thought I’d never need to buy another, but I realize now that most of the ones I kept are Kmf. b and I don’t have a single Kmf. a. On the other hand, I also found out that I have some interesting variations that well illustrate the development of these items.

Unfortunately, the enlightenment I got from the book is not so accessible to other collectors. First, it’s in German, and if that’s not an issue, the fact that the book has long been out of print and difficult/ expensive to get certainly makes it scarce knowledge.

So as a service to fellow Panzer collectors, here’s an illustrated development history, particularly of the Panzer throat mike.

Back in 1937, the radio throat mike looked like the photo below. This unit is called the Kehlkopfmikrofon 4 (Kmf.4). The switch box is mounted onto a strip of leather, and this provides the means of fixing the switch box on the uniform by a button hole at the lower end and a clip at the top end. Unlike the later throat mikes, on/off is done through the black and white buttons on the side, while the ribbed push button seen on the side in later models is located at the front on this model.
    Attached Files

There was actually one earlier model throat mike called the Kmf.2, which had the same switch box, but a 2-prong plug and a more primitive way of attaching the microphone capsules onto the neck band, which according to the aforementioned book, hung from eyelets provided on the neck band and had the cord soldered to the terminals on the capsules rather than having them screwed into Bakelite housings equipped with spring contact points for connection to the cords as with the later models.

These Kmf.2 units were all recalled during 1937/38 and had their microphone capsule attachments upgraded to the type with the capsule housing, and some were also fitted with a new relay box. Newly manufactured throat mikes from 1938 combined the new capsule housing system with the new switch box to become the Kmf.a and Kmf. b, throat mikes that remained the standard until the end of the war, though a economy model called the Kmf. c was further added to the line-up in 1944. The difference between the “a” and “b” designations is that the former had a 2-prong plug and the latter a 3-prong with corresponding circuit differences within the switch box.

Here’s an early Kmf. b that exhibits transitional features. Notice the same cloth covering as the Kmf.4 and the way the cords come out of the capsule housing directly whereas later housings have a cord guide molded onto the housing. Also, the capsule in this model is marked on the back “Kmf.2, 36”.
    Attached Files

Comment

Early style of capsule housing
      Attached Files

Comment

Late style Kmf. b capsule housing for comparison. See how the housing now has a cord guide.
        Attached Files

Comment

And here is the economy model, Kmf. c that came out in 1944, which did away with the side button of the Kmf. b, only leaving the sliding on/off switch in front of the switch box that has shrunk to approx. half of the volume.
          Attached Files

Comment

Simplified switch box for the c model
            Attached Files

Comment

Lastly, I thought it would be of interest to show an example of an early style headset with the orange-brown ear pads, because I’ve never seen one anywhere else.
              Attached Files

Comment

Though the book had proved to be a treasure trove of new information for me, it is short on illustrations. So though I’m really curious to see how the Kmf. 2 had accommodated the microphone capsules onto the neck band, I have no visuals that make sense of the book’s descriptions on this point. If anyone has photos of these early throat mikes in collections or in war-time photos, I’d really love to see them to learn more about these overlooked items.
                There was also a variation headset Dfh.d, which was virtually the same as the Dfh.b, except the plug was supposed to be smaller in size with prongs that are shorter (10mm).I've also never had a chance to see one of these, so please post a photo if anyone has one.
                I hope this provided some new discoveries as it did to me. Some conclusions had been drawn by reading between the lines of the book, so I may be wrong in some cases, where I would be grateful for any corrections that fellow collectors may be able to provide.

Comment

Nick,

Wow...I knew absolutely nothing about the headsets...and now I feel like an expert after your well written and illustrated posts. This section should be added to the next book on panzer uniforms coming out and attribute it to you of course. You are very right...I've been too wrapped up in the wrappers to get into the necessary components for a full mannequin. Now I'm ready to start on a bunch, but I am woefully lacking in knowledge and parts and pieces.

Thanks for a well written and easily understood thread. Can you do one on shirts and boots next? Seriously...thank you very much. You have done me and I'm sure many others a huge favor.

Richard

Comment

Thanks Richard, for the compliments. I'm back home again in Canada for my summer holidays.
                    I wrote this hoping that I might get to see photos of some rare equipment, but I'm afraid that's not to be. I suppose I've waded into a very obscure area of a very mainstream (Pz) branch of collecting.

Comment

Nick,

Very, very interesting pictures. I own kmf.a , b and c, but never saw the 2 and 4 models.

Do you also have info on the early headphones for the fusprech a , the ones with a 52 ohm resistance instead of the standard 2000 ohm ?

You can also post in the comms forums. There will be interested people there too.

Cheers

Comment

Dufleuve,

Thanks for your comments. You're the one who recommended me the book a couple of years ago, so here are some more detail photos of the Kmf. 4 by way of thanking you. Can't help you, though, with any info on the earlier headset.
                        As the Kmf 2s were all supposed to get the capsule arrangement upgraded to the Kmf a/b types, chances of the original configuration surviving is nil, I suppose. I'll put a link in the Comms forum as you suggest and see whether anyone has war-time photos of it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
                          Attached Files

Comment

Side profile
                            Attached Files

Comment

On and off switches marked as "E" and "A".
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X