No announcement yet.

Development of Panzer throat mikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was neither for tanks nor aircraft, but for field telepfones and general radio usage depending on the plug.

Comment

Hi Nick,

Thnx for the reply. The plug is gone.
      This is the set

Comment

Here's one with a plug for a phone, which I see often these days with Luft markings (Ln) or they could also have the same plug as a Pz throat mike, which would make it one for a radio.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
          Here's one with a plug for a phone, which I see often these days with Luft markings (Ln) or they could also have the same plug as a Pz throat mike, which would make it one for a radio.
          thnx Nick,

Do you have any idea how much the one I showed is worth?

Comment

In that condition, 40 to 50 euros. Complete ones in mint condition are about 90.

Comment

Hello,,, I am looking to buy one of these cases if one turns up. Thanks
              Michael

Rob, I'm glad I could be of help.

As this thread grew in scope to include the headset, perhaps it’s natural to include the cases that the headsets and throat mikes were kept in within the tank.
              Here’s what they looked like. They would be fixed to the wall or the floor of tanks Stugs, etc. In this group photo the rusty one in the left of the middle row is in Elfenbein, an ivory interior color for early tanks that modelers often mistake as white, and equally often mistaken for dark yellow, the later standard ordnance color when you don’t have a dark yellow example to compare against, because it is quite yellow.
              The inside of this earlier case shows felt padding throughout.

Comment

Development of Panzer throat

Is this guy possibly wearing a pair of the orange headphones?
                MIchael

Lastly, I thought it would be of interest to show an example of an early style headset with the orange-brown ear pads, because I’ve never seen one anywhere else.
                Attached Files

Comment

It's not the Pz type headset, but yes it looks like pads are in the same orange rubber.

Comment

Hello, Does anyone know what the padding material is made from? Thank you Michael

However, by 1944 padding was limited to the lid only.

And in what I consider to be a late model the padding is completely eliminated and the inside shows the primer color.

Comment

It's the standard mixed fiber dirty looking felt material that the Germans used for padding in optics cases, etc.

Comment

Here is mine salty Panzer headset,the plug on the throatmike is a different
                        type.

J.S
                        Attached Files

Comment

That plug is one of the 3 variations of the 25mm plug used on the kmfb, so spec-wise it is correct. However, I don't know whether they were made like that or had the plug swapped at some point, because this is only the second time I see it on a throat mike.
                          Changing the topic, a set of headsets I sold this week I noticed had some elaborate markings.
                          I am familiar with these markings from boxed and mint headsets found in quantity about 20 years ago, but those are all in Canada and I don't have them with me here for comparison. This heavily marked example has the 2000 ohm marking and was produced in 42, but others I have produced in 41 and 43 don't mention the resistance at all. So I am wondering whether this was simply a manufacturer's variation or an extra precautionary measure for 42. Remember that before 42, tanks didn't have the amplifier, so most crew except the radio man used the 54 ohm low resistance dfhd headsets. From 42, everyone switched to the 2000 ohm model, so I am wondering whether the 2000 ohm markings was added for that transitional year to prevent mix-ups between dfhb and dfhd. Does anyone have dfhb headsets with 2000 ohm markings produced before or after 42?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here the 41 produced dfhb has no ohm markings, but the 42 produced
                            dfhd has the 54 ohm clearly marked.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I thought this would be helpful for people who want to find untouched Pz headsets.
                              Attached Files

Comment

One more hint
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X