SandeBoetik

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20th of July Wound Badge holders gallery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chen View Post
    Just wondering which type and how many July 20 was/ were awarded to the officer whom Hitler was talking to ?
    That's Heinz Assmann, who got the Silver grade badge.

Only Konteradmiral Hans-Erich Voss eventually had the 20 July Wound Badge in all three grades, earning it in black on 20 July 1944, and having it upgraded twice for subsequent battles.

Comment

Thread " 20 July 1944 WB question " by Sergey.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chen
        What a model!
        One question: what's the remote connection of this photo with the thread???

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
          That's Heinz Assmann, who got the Silver grade badge.

Only Konteradmiral Hans-Erich Voss eventually had the 20 July Wound Badge in all three grades, earning it in black on 20 July 1944, and having it upgraded twice for subsequent battles.
          Sepp, he got the black one. It came straight out of the family, from his daughter I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by rob NL View Post
            Sepp, he got the black one. It came straight out of the family, from his daughter I believe.
            Yes, you are right Rob. My bad

Comment

Originally posted by rob NL View Post
              It came straight out of the family, from his daughter I believe.
              Yes, from the family state directly. Did you got it from H. Historica?

Congrats Rob
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting to notice that while Assmann was getting his badge, another had been awarded next to him. I can't recognize him..
                Attached Files

Comment

A little zoom on the badge.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Interesting to notice that while Assmann was getting his badge, another had been awarded next to him. I can't recognize him..
                    Walter Scherff

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                      Walter Scherff
                      Attached Files

Comment

Otto Günsche's 20 July 1944 Wound Badge

During one of my visits to Otto Günsche's home, I photographed his 20 July wound badge. I took the photo during the pre-digital era with a 35 mm film camera; unfortunately, the photo isn't that sharp. A friend, who is a photographer and graphic artist, told me it's better than nothing, a credo I follow to this day. I brought a print of the photo to Günsche during my next visit to his home and asked him to sign it, which he did.

The explosion on 20 July 1944 ruptured Günsche's left air drum. Günsche told me that after the explosion, he carried Hitler out of the conference room, a little known fact. Before visiting Günsche, I always wrote to him beforehand. Responding to my letter I sent to him a month or so before, he told me it was okay for me and my friend to visit him on 5 October 2003. That day, from Köln (Cologne), my friend called Günsche. Günsche's son answered the phone, informing us that his father had passed away three days before.

I'm happy to have one of the last letters Günsche ever wrote. Through Günsche, I was able to meet Traudl Junge, one of Hitler's secretaries, in München (Munich), and a female employee, who Günsche had known during the war, of the hotel Zum Türken on the Obersalzberg.

Barry
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Stormfighter; 12-13-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormfighter View Post
                          During one of my visits to Otto Günsche's home, I photographed his 20 July wound badge.
                          Barry, this is pure gold! I don't have enough words to thank you! A great photo of a very unknown badge.

Is this medal still in the hands of the family? Did Günsche retained most of his wartime awards?

Thanks once more

Regards,
                          Sepp.

Comment

Barry, this is pure gold! I don't have enough words to thank you! A great photo of a very unknown badge.

Is this medal still in the hands of the family? Did Günsche retained most of his wartime awards?

Thanks once more

Regards,
                            Sepp.

Yes, the badge is still in the hands of Günsche's family. It was the only medal he retained.

Barry

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Dana Thies's offer.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X