No announcement yet.

Panzermänner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or another simple explanation as I know from other soldiers.. They fled out of captivity and tried to reach their hometown to find their family (if still there). Some were murdered upon their way (due partisans etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by HouweTrouwe View Post
      or another simple explanation as I know from other soldiers.. They fled out of captivity and tried to reach their hometown to find their family (if still there). Some were murdered upon their way (due partisans etc.)
      I would say this is a very reasonable explanation given the time. Him being found so far away is still a mystery, but alot of men did indeed travel great lengths to reach home....so it is definitely a huge possibility.

BTW- great photos

Comment

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
        Hi that's so interesting that you're taking such an interest in him. Could there have been a field hospital at the location he was killed? If not, it sounds like he deserted and the chain dogs got him. Is that a possibility, given the time period and all.
        Yes I am very interested in his life, the grouping also included some quite emotional letters written by him to his girlfriend and mother and one of his comrades wrote his family a letter a year after the war that the body of Hans-Otto was ID'ed as the unknown buried soldier. I always try to research soldiers from whom I have something in my collection but that he was so young at his death makes it a bit more sad for me. I have tried to find out something of a field hospital in the area where he was MIA but have not been able to find it.

Originally posted by HouweTrouwe View Post
        Might me possible, but he fled from Vienna and ended up somewhere in the Western part of Germany while his hometown was more in the Eastern part. Maybe he was able to flee from his unit after surrender and joined another unit? I shall create a seperate thread here regarding the grouping.

With kind regards,

Koen.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Dutch View Post
          Might me possible, but he fled from Vienna and ended up somewhere in the Western part of Germany while his hometown was more in the Eastern part. Maybe he was able to flee from his unit after surrender and joined another unit? I shall create a seperate thread here regarding the grouping.

With kind regards,

Koen.
          They traveled far. But you should indeed make a thread. Sounds very interesting. As I perform myself research I really like such things.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Dutch View Post

With kind regards,

Koen.
            Hmmm. Maybe he was wounded and left behind after his unit surrendered, and like you said....he linked up w/ another unit? This is an awesome research opportunity, but very sad too. So young
            Look forward to the thread!

Comment

Feldwebel from Panzer Regiment 36

He was killed just North of Mariupol, Ukraine on October 4, 1941.
              4 days later on October 8th, the Wehrmacht took Mariupol. Sad photo

(does anyone have any info on the route taken by Pz Reg 36 before entering Ukraine?)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 12thPanzer; 12-17-2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Panzer Regiment 1
                (taken in Langebrucke)
                Attached Files

Comment

Panzer Regiment 11 Unteroffizier
                  (taken in the West, Feb 1940)
                  Attached Files

Comment

one of mine...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that is oakswinner Georg Grüner and I have never seen this pic before.

Cheers, Lado

Comment

Originally posted by LadislavS69 View Post
                        Wow, that is oakswinner Georg Grüner and I have never seen this pic before.

Cheers, Lado
                        I second that, as I have never seen this one either!! Thank You for sharing this. This man served as an Oberleutnant in Panzer Regiment 33

Comment

Comment

Interesting that his PAB is clearly sewn on. First time I can recall seeing photographic proof of that.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by 12thPanzer View Post
                              Panzer Regiment 11 Unteroffizier
                              (taken in the West, Feb 1940)
                              Bill,

All three are superb early panzer photos, thank you for taking the time to post and share.

Richard

Comment

Looks like Totenkopf I think
                                Originally posted by D. Löwenhamn View Post
                                Wonderful images! Do you know which units these men served with?

Best regards/ Daniel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X