Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Execution

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
    Dennis...I don't believe I was being rude just addressing the facts based on what little information that you had previously provided. I must concede that there is a possibility that these portraits were taken after capture. The reason I now say this is due to the Canadians being those who initiated and won the battle for the Delfzijl pocket from 23 April to 2 May 45. The Canadians were known to be very lenient towards German POW's especially after the end of hostilities where they even allowed a court-martial and execution to take place at one of the POW Camps in Holland.
    That's interesting. Do you know what the charges in that case were? I recall a similar incident in the Civil War at Andersonville. They hung six men who had led a gang of thugs.

Comment

Apparently they deserted prior to the end of hostilities therefore they were court-martialed and sentenced to death. The ranking German officer requested weapons be provided and they carried out the sentence by firiing squad. There was a movie made about this as well.

Here is a link to a discussion about this on the Axis forum

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=111663

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
      That's interesting. Do you know what the charges in that case were? I recall a similar incident in the Civil War at Andersonville. They hung six men who had led a gang of thugs.

Comment

Dennis...I don't believe I was being rude just addressing the facts based on what little information that you had previously provided. I must concede that there is a possibility that these portraits were taken after capture. The reason I now say this is due to the Canadians being those who initiated and won the battle for the Delfzijl pocket from 23 April to 2 May 45. The Canadians were known to be very lenient towards German POW's especially after the end of hostilities where they even allowed a court-martial and execution to take place at one of the POW Camps in Holland.
        I have to admit, at first I too found it strange that such portrait photos were taken after capture. I can not recall any sources, but I have read somewhere that in Holland after the capitulation German officers could either keep their handgun or dagger out some sort of respect.

Comment

Very different treatment given by the Canadians versus the American, British, French forces who made sure those they captured were disarmed and in many cases stripped of their awards and other valuables by souvenir hunters..except in certain cases as previously mentioned that very high ranking officers sometimes were allowed to keep their sidearms. Not so in the case of the bigger fish...like Goering and others slated to go before the courts. I guess the situation in Holland was quite different from anywhere else as all they wanted was to get the German troops out of the Country and back to Germany as fast as possible. I remember reading that some of the German troops were allowed to be armed for a short time to ward off hostile attacks by the population/Partisans at large. I think that happened in Italy as well.

Originally posted by dennisb View Post
          I have to admit, at first I too found it strange that such portrait photos were taken after capture. I can not recall any sources, but I have read somewhere that in Holland after the capitulation German officers could either keep their handgun or dagger out some sort of respect.

Comment

Nov-14 - POW Portrait - 1 - Camp Unknown USA - I did not win this portrait off ebay and I am only posting this to show that some of these POWs were SS and I did however win two other portraits out of the same group.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by W Petz; 11-01-2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Nov-14 - POW Portrait - 2 - Camp Unknown USA - Some of these POWs may possibly be SS
              Attached Files

Comment

Nov-14 - POW Portrait - 3 - Camp Unknown USA - some of these POWs may possibly be SS
                Attached Files

Comment

Nov-14 - POW Portrait - 4
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dec14 - DAK POW Portrait - 1 - You will notice that he previously had Deathheads on his collar and wearing a Italian/German Africa ribbon. Panzer Crewman captured in Africa.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Jan15 - POW Camp Unknown
                      Attached Files

Comment

not mine but intresting photo. german soldier rebuilding Stalingrad 1947
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sad to see that photo as he was probably worked to death in clearing up the rubble of Stalingrad.

Jan15 - Here is a W-SS POW..Camp unknown.

Originally posted by Aqu View Post
                          not mine but intresting photo. german soldier rebuilding Stalingrad 1947
                          Attached Files

Comment

Jan15 - Here is a W-SS POW..Camp unknown.
                            He was evidently eating well in captivity!

Comment

Drew...German POW's in the US and UK were treated very well.

Feb15 - POW Sani Portrait...Camp Unknown

Originally posted by Drew Wright View Post
                              He was evidently eating well in captivity!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Group of POW's. Postcard sent by UFFZ Hans Bickel from 124 POW Camp Ashton Gate, Bedminster Camp, Bristol 3
                                Hans Bickel was a Wehrmacht Oberstleutnant. He served directly under Generalleutnant Wilhelm Falley in the 91st Infanterie Division, in France during the Allied invasion. Gen. Falley was the first "General" to be killed during the Allied invasion.

[Hans Bickel (deceased) was my relative. He and I met multiple times commencing in 1986, and we discussed WWII.]

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X