No announcement yet.

Show us your German POW photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that great photo,Im sure if this will be taken in USA you can no more see this nice awards

Comment

The white sign behind the POW's is in French and at least one POW is still wearing a badge on his uniform.

Originally posted by besslein View Post
      that great photo,Im sure if this will be taken in USA you can no more see this nice awards

Comment

Whatever you name is......Very Nice!!! Thanks for posting - Bill

Originally posted by MisterX View Post
        details

Comment

I suppose it depends on who was running the POW Camp (not all camps were run by Americans) and whether certain rules were being enforced. Not everything became souvenirs.

Originally posted by FestungSpanien View Post
          I can't believe they are still wearing their insignias and awards
          Why was that? I thought american people were keen on souvenir hunting
          Ace

Comment

Hi

Here is one of mine that was loose in the back of an SS photo album I have, with the chaps gathered outside the canteen in a POW camp (dated 1947).

I have another showing the camp and both look rather like offical press shots given the size and quality of the prints.

Raymond
            Attached Files

Comment

Index Card.
              Attached Files

Comment

Raymond and Karl-Heinz,

Thanks for sharing your photos!
                Bill

Comment

No picture, but realted question.

In ' To the Bitter End ' Victor Klemperer relates :

" Came across a military vehicle being repaired, soldier watching (SS)
                  had only one hand, lost the other in Normandy. Taken prisoner there,
                  shipped to the USA, and then exchanged,aged 18 big and strong."

Did prisoner exchanges takeplace on a regular basis? I presume only
                  unfit for combat types, limb loss,blindness etc. Not sure the allies would
                  want to put ANY SS back in circulation. Exchanged by Red Cross? where?.

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

John,

I have heard of very ill prisoners being exchanged but not prisoners as described by Victor Klemperer...especially SS prisoners given their reputation. Does the book cite a date this meeting took place?

Originally posted by JOHN JONES View Post
                    No picture, but realted question.

In ' To the Bitter End ' Victor Klemperer relates :

" Came across a military vehicle being repaired, soldier watching (SS)
                    had only one hand, lost the other in Normandy. Taken prisoner there,
                    shipped to the USA, and then exchanged,aged 18 big and strong."

Did prisoner exchanges takeplace on a regular basis? I presume only
                    unfit for combat types, limb loss,blindness etc. Not sure the allies would
                    want to put ANY SS back in circulation. Exchanged by Red Cross? where?.

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Hi Bill,
                      I have scanned the relevant chapter, VK kept a precise diary
                      and has this down as 19th April 45.

Seems strange, obviously the trooper was on rear line duties but he
                      mentions possibility of front line again.

Cheers.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Very Strange indeed....I would have thought the exchange of SS prisoners would be out of the question especially after the Battle of the Bulge. Fortunately the end of the war was very close at hand during this encounter but I cannot help but think that this young lad was probably thrown into some useless battle because he was SS. It makes you think whether he made it through the rest of the war or not. Cheers! - Bill

Originally posted by JOHN JONES View Post
                          Hi Bill,
                          I have scanned the relevant chapter, VK kept a precise diary
                          and has this down as 19th April 45.

Seems strange, obviously the trooper was on rear line duties but he
                          mentions possibility of front line again.

Cheers.

Comment

Got this postcard size photo of a German POW Camp somewhere in Afrika
                            Attached Files

Comment

Recently picked up some POW photos.
                              Attached Files

Comment

#2 POW's in England
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X