• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of these do you now have?

Comment

Originally posted by K98_man View Post
      How many of these do you now have?
      At the moment, I have 125 such photos in my archive.
      Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
      All the best,
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Nico C View Post
        Any idea from which camp these photo's are?

Thanks.
        When I first saw them, I thought that it was probably Buchenwald because of some of the dackground details. However, I am not at all certain of that. When I get a chance, I will go through the Holocaust Museum's digital archive for comparison and I have always been able to pinpoint, often times right down to the sub-camp, where a photo has been taken.
        Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
        All the best,
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by EKman View Post
          When I first saw them, I thought that it was probably Buchenwald because of some of the dackground details. However, I am not at all certain of that. When I get a chance, I will go through the Holocaust Museum's digital archive for comparison and I have always been able to pinpoint, often times right down to the sub-camp, where a photo has been taken.
          Thanks.

Comment

Received today two additional photos to share here.
            Attached Files
            All the best,
            Chris

Comment

Second Photo.

I blew this one up to be sure, and it seems that there are ID numbers tatooed onto the leg (thigh region) of some of the bodies. Of course, we are familiar with the tatooing of numbers onto the arms, but I have never read of or seen evidence that this was also done on other parts of the body. Does anyone else know anything about this?
              Attached Files
              All the best,
              Chris

Comment

I read once that in November 1941, the Auschwitz campauthorities executed 151 prisoners.
                Prior to execution, the prisoner's number was written on either his chest (if he were to be shot at close range) or his leg (if he were to be shot by firing squad).
                When deathrates rose tattoos became a standard, on the inner upperarm.

Comment

Gardelegen

When I get a chance I will go through my father's photos from this camp in his scrapbook, I will send you copies. He has several and he told me that they developed them in the x-ray department of the evac hospital he was a member. His Evac Hospital unit was the first one in Berlin and it was for the Potsdam Conference.
                  Ron Weinand
                  Weinand Militaria

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
                    When I get a chance I will go through my father's photos from this camp in his scrapbook, I will send you copies. He has several and he told me that they developed them in the x-ray department of the evac hospital he was a member. His Evac Hospital unit was the first one in Berlin and it was for the Potsdam Conference.
                    Ron Weinand
                    Weinand Militaria
                    Thank you Ron, I would appreciate that very much.

Best Regards,

Chris
                    All the best,
                    Chris

Comment

Hello Chris,

Those numbers you see on the corpses are not really ID numbers.
                      They are not tattooed neither, it are numbers put on the corpses for the crematoriums administration.
                      In my liberary I have a reference-book with a picture in it taken by the US liberators, holocaust victims with the crematoriumnumber allready put on their chest while they stilly were alive!

As a descendent from a KL inmate I really enjoy your thread!

Keep on posting them, perhaps one day I'll see a picture of the camp (Khala) he was detained in.

Cheers,
                      Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter u View Post
                        Hello Chris,

Those numbers you see on the corpses are not really ID numbers.
                        They are not tattooed neither, it are numbers put on the corpses for the crematoriums administration.
                        In my liberary I have a reference-book with a picture in it taken by the US liberators, holocaust victims with the crematoriumnumber allready put on their chest while they stilly were alive!

As a descendent from a KL inmate I really enjoy your thread!

Keep on posting them, perhaps one day I'll see a picture of the camp (Khala) he was detained in.

Cheers,
                        Peter
                        Peter,

That is very interesting information to have, I am always learning something new, so thank you very much for your input. I am glad that you appreciate this thread, especially since you have a closer family connection to these events than I do--or many other members here I would assume. Perhaps you would be willing to share some more about your relative who was a camp inmate? Also, if I ever do come across a photo of the camp you mentioned, I will be sure to contact you.

Thank you,

Chris
                        All the best,
                        Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Every camp story is unique, this is a shortversion of the one of Cornelius Verbist my great-grandfather.

He was betrayed and arrested in May 1944 by Flemish collaborators, his crime: refusing to work in German war industry, but he was allready 38 years old that is normally to old to be drafted for compulsary service in the German war industry.
                          After a short stay in a temporary prison in Antwerp, his wife tried unsuccesfully to let him being relased (family wage-earner) it didn't help and he was put on a train to Germany (Thuringen area).
                          From May 1944 untill August 1944 he was kept in a low security camp to do all kinds of (unpaid) labor. From this camp he was allowed to sent and recieve mail and foodparcels, he even got very good & friendly contact with a German family (Elly Müller, Burgstrasse 49, Orlamunde).
                          In August 1944 things got worse: he was transfered to the forced labor camp of Khala (a plant under construction for the building of jet-fighters), this was not an official KL it was under luftwaffe control, but the regime was very harsh (15000 inmates - 6000 died from the bad working conditions and punishments).
                          On April 12th he escaped the camp with some comerades (the guards allready gone) to find the US liberators. They found them but the first Americans he saw (a sherman tank) opened fire upon them. In this case of friendly fire he lost his right leg.

Cheers,
                          Peter

Comment

Here are some new photos that arrived today, purchased from a Forum Member, I'm glad that people are looking at the "Wanted" section of the Estand.
                            Attached Files
                            All the best,
                            Chris

Comment

Attached Files
                              All the best,
                              Chris

Comment

Attached Files
                                All the best,
                                Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X