No announcement yet.

Opinions on U Boat badge--possible S&L Type 2 zinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same hinge block, wide pin and "4" mark seen on the S&L Destroyer badge.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice research Norm.

John

Comment

RE: Post #31

Going back to post #31 showing the Sub badge that started the thread, I find it interesting this version with regards to the eagles left wing. The main large feathers tapered off as does the small feathers as it makes it's arch.
        I have heard and followed Norm's wonderful explanations and been impressed with the database that he has collected. I have heard the "crushed leaf" being used as a reference for determining types. However, I don't recall that any of the previous discussed ever had this type of dye cast flaw.

I look forward to reading more.

Thanks,
        JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
          I have heard the "crushed leaf" being used as a reference for determining types. However, I don't recall that any of the previous discussed ever had this type of dye cast flaw.
          Hi Justin,

I wouldn't call the "squished leaf" a die "flaw" per se, really just a die feature that distinguishes between the Type 1 and Type 2 obverse die. All of the Tombak versions are the Type 1 (like the two in this other thread) and most of the zinc versions are Type 2 with the exception of the rare transitional zinc Type 1.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

S&L U-Boat Classification Timeline

I should add here the complete S&L U-Boat Classification Timeline that I posted on GCA last year:

Type 1: Tombak or zinc, Die 1 with the “squished laurel leaf”

1.1: Tombak, round wire “question mark” catch; slender, rounded and pointed coke bottle-shaped pin (like that seen on the unmarked S&L Destroyer badge)

1.2: Tombak, round wire “question mark” catch, wide flat coke bottle-shaped pin

1.3: Tombak, typical S&L metal catch, wide flat coke bottle-shaped pin (like that seen on the marked S&L Destroyer badge)

1.4: Zinc, slender sheet metal catch, short barrel hinge with long tapered pin

Type 2: Zinc only, Die 2 with the “open laurel leaf”

2.1: slender sheet metal catch, short barrel hinge with long tapered pin (same setup as 1.4)

2.2: “Deumer-like” setup with slender sheet metal catch, small block hinge and round wire pin

2.3: flat-wire catch, short barrel hinge with long tapered pin

2.4: flat-wire catch, short barrel hinge with short tapered pin
            2.4.1 solid swastika (the most prevalent of all the sub-types)
            2.4.2 cut out swastika (a variation of hand finishing)

2.5: flat-wire catch, block hinge and wide pin marked "4" (same pin used on the S&L EK1 and Tombak Destroyer badge)

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Norm F; 05-19-2012, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Hi Norm,
              Another piece of wonderful research. I really appreciate how you have illustrated your pionts with photographs so that even the extremely inexperienced such as myself can follow it without too much difficulty. Apologies for lateness of reply, but I have been away from the computer for a while.
              Thanks
              Peter.

Comment

Yes, good job Norm. John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X