Opinions on U Boat badge--possible S&L Type 2 zinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John,
    I have managed to take the following pictures, which I thought I would post tonight.
    Attached Files

Comment

Some more pictures.
      Attached Files

Comment

A few more pictures.
        Attached Files

Comment

That was a good deal.

Comment

Thanks John
            Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting those photos. Your badge has a lot of character and has the less common Lüdenscheid-type catch, also used by S&L on their zinc minesweeper. In my opinion your badge is a mid-zinc production S&L from the type 2 die.

Here is an example of a badge from Flanders Militaria website with the same catch but from the type 1 die which I believe is earlier since this is the die used in the tombak version. This zincer has the same catch as yours.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

more views
                Attached Files

Comment

note the catch
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's a comparison detail of the Flanders Militaria badge (type1) with your type 2 badge. Notice the "squished laurel leaf" of the type 1. It was Gordon Williamson who first pointed out these die differences in what otherwise look like the identical obverse design.
                    Attached Files

Comment

And here's one of these U-boat catches next to a zinc S&L minesweeper catch from a minesweeper badge Marcus Hatton posted previously.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You can see the tombak version with the "squished laurel leaf" in this thread.

And here's a nice minty late zinc type 2 with the the standard flat wire catch previously posted by "Kommandir RKKA" in this thread.

Also the Lüdenscheid sample boards show the type 2, and the "100" stamped W&L shown in Gordon's "Torpedo Los" is also the type 2, which is why it's still hard to know who supplied whom for these badges.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Last edited by Norm F; 01-12-2011, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Here's another type 2 from a previous posting, this one with the same catch as Peter's but a pin reminiscent of Deumer's setups - again suggestive of Lüdenscheid. Probably from the same time period as Peter's badge.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                            I said start with $100. The potential buyer put it at something less than 400 pounds due to its condition.
                            Well it where sold cheap... but think the buyer made a good deal on this one

Best
                            Nicolai
                            Last edited by John R.; 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Hi guys Now thats are really good price even for a one in worn condition. Here's mine was surprised to come across one in this condition
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by mrg; 01-13-2011, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg View Post
                                Hi guys Now thats are really good price even for a one in worn condition. Here's mine was surprised to come across one in this condition
                                Hi Gary,

Beautiful badge. Is that a groove running along the length of the midline of the flat wire catch? I ask because that jogs in my memory as a feature of late war S&L as well. In fact it's seen on '57 awards as well. I'll have to look around some more to confirm.

Best regards,
                                ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X