Opinions on U Boat badge--possible S&L Type 2 zinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on U Boat badge--possible S&L Type 2 zinc

I have seen this U Boat badge which I will have the opportunity to purchase tommorrow. Can anyone tell me if it is genuine and an idea of value?
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John R.; 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM.

Another picture of the reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

looks like a real zincer but very heavily worn, wouldn't pay too much for it

Comment

Nice and salty...when really worn they look this way.

Comment

Thanks Patrick and juoneen. I think good condition badges go for about £400, so this one should be worth somewhat less than that.
          Peter.

Comment

I normally do not offer pricing opinions but this is worth far less than 400 pounds. I would offer $100 and see what happens. Others please voice an opinion of valuation, this is just mine for this badge.

John

Comment

£400? not for a zinc badge- I would value this one at £120 tops

Comment

An original, worn badge. $150 tops for me, but I would start at $100 like John.
                Cheers,
                Brian

Comment

If this thread shows anything; it shows what the valuation and the difficulty, if ever the time should come to have to sell this badge.
                  I am curious if Patrick and John are truly suggesting 100 USD or 100 GBP?

Either way, this is a zinc badge and would be a nice "affordable" model for your personal collection.

Also, just goes to show how inflated some dealers have thier items listed.

Best,
                  JustinG

Comment

100 US dollars as a starting point for the buyer. Blurry photos of a worn badge with some kind of glue on the front is all I can see right now. With photos like this, you cannot give valuations that are very high for another thing. Too blurry.

Comment

Additionally, nobody has even asked what the badge maker might be. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
                        Also, just goes to show how inflated some dealers have thier items listed.

Best,
                        JustinG
                        Of course, dealers have to make a living and have overhead, staff, travel, expenses, taxes, you name it.

Amateur collectors have very little overhead but want the same price as a dealer. So there you go.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                          Additionally, nobody has even asked what the badge maker might be. Any ideas?
                          Statistically speaking considering KM badge output by maker and this particular design, it's likely an unmarked S&L, but could possibly also be an unmarked W&L or unmarked K&Q since all 3 producers exhibit the same obverse design and hardware. S&L are never marked but appear on the Lüdenscheid sample boards, whereas the W&L and K&Q PK-number stamped examples are rare and can be counted on one hand.

It's unknown with whom the dies originated, but there are two obverse die variants - the earlier type 1 with the "squished laurel leaf" found in both tombak and zinc, all examples of which show hardware typical to Lüdenscheid, and this later more common type 2 occuring only in zinc. This 2nd type mostly have this common setup which is not maker-specific but are seen with two different pin lengths - the long one like this one (and like the example in Justin's collection) and the shorter one of the same style.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm

Comment

Thank you Norm.

John

Comment

Peter,

In the end, the call is yours. However, there is no shortage of this kind of badge in this condition.

Once you have decided, since this is just a forum with ideas and opinions offered, please let us know what the final buying price ended up being.

Justin has made a critical observation and I think you should mull it over a bit. That is the concept of resale. Yes, it is a hobby, etc, etc, etc. However, it factors in when it comes to valuations and purchase prices.

My rule of the thumb is to be able to resell an item for 60-70% less than what I paid, no matter a dealer or not. Sure, I have made exceptions for pieces I really wanted, we all have. So in that case it might be a 50% loss on sale. Or, the collector gets mad nobody will pay him what he wants so it stays in his sock drawer for the rest of his life.

I think you see the point without going on and on about collecting concepts and financial prudence.

Note, I am not putting down the badge at all. I am just trying to put a measure of worth on it at this point in time.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X