This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are mentioned ....

I do not believe in putting names next to the badge itself. It serves no purpose and more often than not the badge has changed ownership at the time of print. Every collector can identify a badge by the pictures and by listing the names in front we honor all help in an equal way. We all know that without the help of each of them the books would not be possible.

Regarding the add-on: we plan to print a magazine style add-on in the same size of the book for a comparable low price. Style and quality will be the same, just not hard-bound. We envision something like 60-100 pages. Not all of it add-on's, some maybe also articles and such. In this way we can keep the publication on track with the on-going research which is so diligently done by John and Norm. We all want this to be the best (and living) compendium for the nicest looking badges the Third Reich produced

Dietrich
    Last edited by Dietrich Maerz; 01-13-2012, 04:03 PM.
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
      Regarding the add-on: we plan to print a magazine style add-on in the same size of the book for a comparable low price. Style and quality will be the same, just not hard-bound. We envision something like 60-100 pages. Not all of it add-on's, some maybe also articles and such. In this way we can keep the publication on track with the on-going research which is so diligently done by John and Norm. We all want this to be the best (and living) compendium for the nicest looking badges the Third Reich produced

Dietrich

Interesting. I like this idea. I know John and Norm have contributed alot to the research on the KM badges, and this would be a great way to update any new information or changes to the existing work

Count me in for a copy when it's done.

Comment

You are mentioned ....I do not believe in putting names next to the badge itself. It serves no purpose and more often than not the badge has changed ownership at the time of print.
        I agree, it is very reasonable approach

Regarding the add-on: we plan to print a magazine style add-on in the same size of the book for a comparable low price. Style and quality will be the same, just not hard-bound.
        It is very good idea, it is easier, cheaper and gives more flexibility Count me in too for a copy when it's done!

I have gone through the Book once again and have several more detailed comments.
        So please consider if there could be a chance to:

U-boats
        - expand u-boats variants to include forum timelines of Schwerin, S&L and Juncker u-boats;
        - add early solid tombak Deumer with variant reverse hardware (atypical for Deumer);
        - show more ‘Five feather’ variations;

Destroyers
        - add Juncker variants;
        - add zinc unmarked Deumer with horizontal setup;
        - add unmarked Schickle/Mayer tombak with Pforzheim-P catch;
        - add zinc Mayer L/18 marked variant with narrow flat wire catch;
        - explain Dekora die issue in relation to Shuco variation 3 (2.23) indicating post war production;

Minesweepers
        - add description of 9 RK variants related to makers marks – ‘Levels’ by Tony and expanded by Norm;
        - add tombak Schwerin variant with flat hinge pin head and later flat leg catch (you did it for HSF - 6.02);
        - mention tombak Schwerin variant with dots in maker’s mark;
        - add Juncker tombak with flat wire catch;
        - add zinc Meybauer with narrow flat wire catch and round base plate;
        - add transitional zinc Mayers with two different catches;
        - add zinc Deumer with horizontal setup and round wire catch;
        - add tombak Mayers with block hinge setup and two different catches;
        - show differences in AS makers marks and crimping methods;

Blockade Runner
        - add a comment that for Agmuk BB ball hinge was also crimped and not always soldered to the badge?;

Auxiliary Cruisers
        - add a comment about different wartime and postwar rivets and globes for S&L;

S-boots
        - add concave variation of AS in triangle;
        - mention different indent variation of flatback;

CABs
        - add second die variation for zinc Schwerin (tombak-like die);
        - add Juncker tombak with flat wire catch;

Other
        - show all flatback reverse hardware variations combined with badge types;
        - show all RS reverse hardware variations combined with badge types;
        - show strange unmarked Schwerin HSF and Destroyer.

Forgive me my wishfull thinking (I have no idea about your limitations) and if some comments are irrelevant or unmotivated.

Cheers,
        Hubert

Comment

Thank you very much for your input. We will for sure have a serious look!

Dietrich
          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Just got my copies, was looking through 'my' stuff and noticed a couple of typos.

P.763, the date of award of this bronze U-boots frontspange is 9. Jan 1945 not 9. May

P.751 and 759, As signing officers are mentioned elsewhere perhaps it should be mentioned that the Führer Unterseeboote Nordmeer was Swords winner Reinhard 'Teddy' Suhren.

P.1013, Ruprecht Rössger commanded the 21 Räumbootsflottille, not the 2.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
              Just got my copies, was looking through 'my' stuff and noticed a couple of typos.

P.763, the date of award of this bronze U-boots frontspange is 9. Jan 1945 not 9. May

P.751 and 759, As signing officers are mentioned elsewhere perhaps it should be mentioned that the Führer Unterseeboote Nordmeer was Swords winner Reinhard 'Teddy' Suhren.

P.1013, Ruprecht Rössger commanded the 21 Räumbootsflottille, not the 2.
              Thanks Simon.

John

Comment

Thanks Simon!

Mistakes have been corrected in the original manuscript. We will include this of course also in the Errata section.

Dietrich
                B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Oh and good job on both volumes guys

There's a few things i'd like to see added in any future editions, and if the Narvikschild could be included then these certainly could.

Dockyard service badges. As they were KM awarded, they definitely come under the umbrella of KM badges.

Traditions badges. A very neglected subject other than those of the U-bootwaffe. Many were considered as awards and would include an award document.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon,

why don't you put something together and we include it in the update magazine? A reprint of the two volumes if way, way in the future.
                    I really like your idea and I like the idea of an add-on booklet!

Dietrich
                    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Had my copies a few days ago. Very nice books, it'll take some time to get through all the pages.

Comment

My books arrived today,even having a quick look,well, WOW!,I wish these books had been around when I first started collecting.John

Comment

I would also consider adding:
                          - S&L (attributed) Blockade Runner in zinc, at least the one with wartime toolmarks on the pin;
                          - 1st pattern RS S-boot in zinc (? as only one example is known and we heard of the second).
                          Cheers,
                          Hubert

Comment

Volume 3 is in proof reading and will be available in late January 2013. The page count is 214 and I am sure that everything mentioned here has been thoroughly looked at and incorporated.

Please check out the website for the soon starting pre-publication sale.

Dietrich
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by John R.; 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM.
                            B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

Hi Dietrich,
                                Great news! Cannot wait to have it in my hands
                                Cheers,
                                Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X