No announcement yet.

heer flak badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First thing I noticed is that we have two identical badges with two completely different hinge and catch setups. This bothers me greatly.

Craig, you say that the acorns have crosshatching, but I see a series of little bumps.

The box looks OK, I suppose....dont let it draw you in though.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

thanks

Mark - first off, I forgot to some up what I like & what I didnt.

Like - the level of detail on the cannon with the rivets etc, the bubbling under the finish which is what is suppossed to be unfakeable ??, the level of detail on the leaves & the pebbling in the background

Dislike - the Eagles head doesnt seem to match the detail of the gun etc, the catch I have never seen it soldered directly to the badge most have a catchplate etc.

I weighed it it is 29.7 gms, & as I said at the start also die struck there is a lot of shear marks around the inside.

What still hasnt been explained is why the main site states "Any die struck badges should be looked upon with suspicion", it doesnt say who wrote the article can someone explain this is a pretty definative comment I think it needs some back up as many pics I have saved seem also to be die struck.

Mark I agree that Phillipe's looks similar to mine but not that his badge has the wing touching the barrell whereas mine does not. Also his seems to have more detail on the eagles head compared to mine. Regarding the cross hatching on the acorns your right I'll have to look at it again when I get home.

Also the rivits on the breach of mine seem more defined, but then the smaller tubes down the barrell ( 3 of them ) Phillipe has more detail at the ends ??

I dunno I looked at other pics that are suppossedly genuine & they didnt have the same detail as mine if it didnt have the bodgey head I would have a better feeling, maybe Frank, Yuri & Mike Pinkus could jump in or any others for that matter I think this could turn into a good thread ??
      Strong wind-magic mist, to Asgard the Valkries fly
      High overhead-they carry the dead, Where the blood of my enemies lies - MANOWAR - Hail to England

Comment

Hi Graig,

First of all I like your badge and I could feel comfortable with it in my collection. Altough it show a lot of resemblance with my badge it isn't a 100% match if we just focuse on the front.

I highlighted the biggest difference in your Pic in attachment. Since my English isn't so good I can't describe those circle's But you probably can see what I mean.

When you compare it to my badge you will see only round imprints instead of circles like on most juncker badges. If I'm not mistaken I think you can find the circles also on some late Juncker badges but I'm not realy sure. I will look that up tonight.

Overall I think it show a little less detail than the one I posted but it could well be made by the same maker

Kind Regards
        Philippe
        Attached Files

Comment

Flak box

Hi Craig,

As far as i can tell the spelling is correct,it says Army Flak Battle Badge.Mine is in a black box with a black flocking base and a late war badge (i'll post a pic at the weekend).With no designation on box.I see no reason not to assume it's a period box,surplus jewellery boxes,plain card board etc.All used,i like it anyway there's a nice army flak in it's cellophane packet on the site.

Kind regards

Marcus

Comment

Hi Craig. Based on the scans of your heer, I think the badge has a couple of things that concern me. As already said, the eagle's head and the acorns don't appear as well designed as on others . The whole look of the badge appears "soft". Although there are many details in the design, it is not as sharply struck or defined as other badges I've seen. The weight seems correct for a zinc badge, but the catch appears to be soldered directly onto the badge without a plate. Based on the scans, I would pass on this one unless I got it in-hand for closer inspection.
            Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Dear Graig,

Thought I post these detailed scan for you to make comparing more easy.

Hope it helps

Philippe
              Attached Files

Comment

Eagle
                Attached Files

Comment

Eagles head
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Mark - I had a look yes it has "bubbly" acorns BTW here is a pic from Mike Pinkus' site also with bubbly acorns ?? If mike has a problem with me posting this pick of course I will remove it, I added it for educational purposes
                    Regards
                    Attached Files
                    Strong wind-magic mist, to Asgard the Valkries fly
                    High overhead-they carry the dead, Where the blood of my enemies lies - MANOWAR - Hail to England

Comment

Here is a badge from the collection of Michael Kenny. Please note the following details:

1. the rotation angle at which the top right adjustment wheel is rotated, it looks like a perfect "X"

2. The crude and uneven cross-hatching on the acorns.

3. The rounded edges of the hinge-plate and the round wire catch welded to the rectangular plate.

Yuri
                      Attached Files

Comment

reverse. Notice the rounded edges to the catch-plate.

Yuri
                        Attached Files

Comment

This badge is from the collection of Allan Ross. Notice the similar details this badge has to the badge above.

Comment

This badge is from the collection of Allan Ross. Notice the similar details this badge has to the badge above.

Comment

and the reverse
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here is the same badge but in better condition from the collection of Allan Ross. Notice there is no nipples in the rivets below and to the right of the breech like there are on Craig's.

Yuri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X