The Marshals Baton Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of Baton

According to the article referenced above - "The 19-inch ceremonial baton, once the property of Field Marshal Albert Kesselring of Nazi Germany's Luftwaffe, had been listed with an estimated value of between $10,000 and $15,000 by Alex Cooper before the auction."

- I'm sorry, but this estimate is laughably low. I would have given them $20K on the spot and ran off dancing at what a steal I just got! A personality item of such unique quality and rarity deserves top valuation IMO. I'm not surprised at all by the $731,600 final sale price. A plain old everyday knight's cross can bring $10-15K...

Comment

Originally posted by whatthecrunchyo View Post
      Wow! That is much more than I could have ever imagined. While it’s cool and all, that’s a ton of money for an object that really had no bearing on history! I am kind of curious what was the subject matter and the price of the most famous WWII German document ever sold.

Jordan
      …no bearing on history…. ?
      …Well yeah its how you look at it��

Hitler’s hat has also no influence on history… but Hitler himself DID …

Generalfeldmarschall Kesselring DID have an influence on history as he was one of the best commanders in the German army. His baton … only 3 of this type made , and one of them heavily damaged…and restored, this one is a real threasure piece of history.
      If there wasn't a black spot on everything related to the “swastica” …items like these offered eg.at Christies or Sothebys…
      …you would have to put a zero behind that price.

Pieter
      Last edited by Pieter Verbruggen; 03-01-2020, 06:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
      SUUM CUIQUE ...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DZR View Post
        According to the article referenced above - "The 19-inch ceremonial baton, once the property of Field Marshal Albert Kesselring of Nazi Germany's Luftwaffe, had been listed with an estimated value of between $10,000 and $15,000 by Alex Cooper before the auction."

- I'm sorry, but this estimate is laughably low. I would have given them $20K on the spot and ran off dancing at what a steal I just got! A personality item of such unique quality and rarity deserves top valuation IMO. I'm not surprised at all by the $731,600 final sale price. A plain old everyday knight's cross can bring $10-15K...
        Exactly…

Pieter
        SUUM CUIQUE ...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pieter Verbruggen View Post
          …no bearing on history…. ?
          …Well yeah its how you look at it��

Hitler’s hat has also no influence on history… but Hitler himself DID …

Generalfeldmarschall Kesselring DID have an influence on history as he was one of the best commanders in the German army. His baton … only 3 of this type made , and one of them heavily damaged…and restored, this one is a real threasure piece of history.
          If there wasn't a black spot on everything related to the “swastica” …items like these offered eg.at Christies or Sothebys…
          …you would have to put a zero behind that price.

Pieter

" only 3 of this type made" means the baton to Kesselring, Milch and Sperrle.
          BTW, coming Thies auction, one will see the Milch's baton.

Comment

A sight to behold everyone was treated to at this year's SOS
            Last edited by rkdek; 03-01-2020, 11:34 AM.
            "Wir Deutschen fürchten Gott und sonst nichts auf der Welt " BISMARCK

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
              " only 3 of this type made" means the baton to Kesselring, Milch and Sperrle.
              BTW, coming Thies auction, one will see the Milch's baton.
              Is that the same one that was fire damaged and auctioned by HH a few years ago? Do you know when the auction is?

DMS

Comment

Yes, the same one.
                See before and after restoration . It will be auction in coming Thies's auction in April 8, I believe.
                Visit Thies's web site to see better photos.
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The hardest thing about the restoration from the Milch baton was getting the correct velvet.
                    After sending multiple pieces to Mr. Burmeister for comparing with the Kesselring baton the correct velvet was found.
                    That took over 2 years.
                    I also visited a city in Germany that still own two museum copies made in 1941, one of them being the Kesselring one, to compare the velvet.
                    The resemblance is striking.

Many thanks to Jason for his help.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthecrunchyo View Post
                      Wow! That is much more than I could have ever imagined. While it’s cool and all, that’s a ton of money for an object that really had no bearing on history! I am kind of curious what was the subject matter and the price of the most famous WWII German document ever sold.

Jordan
                      I think such a baton is about one of the highest treasures what one could buy in Third Reich Militaria. Price is quite normal if you compare them with other antique objects or some modern art.

Regards, Wim
                      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Wim Vangossum View Post
                        I think such a baton is about one of the highest treasures what one could buy in Third Reich Militaria. Price is quite normal if you compare them with other antique objects or some modern art.

Regards, Wim
                        I agree.
                        The highest award also.

Comment

Thanks Chen! I do remember seeing that one when it was being auctioned. Wonder how the restoration will affect the price? I cannot remember off hand what it sold for at the last auction.

Comment

Originally posted by rob NL View Post
                            I agree.
                            The highest award also.
                            I agree too.May the highest is Sepp's Sword!

Comment

Originally posted by tobau View Post
                              I agree too.May the highest is Sepp's Sword!
                              While I agree that it’s a great sword, it was presented to him unofficially and no promotion was attached. I even believe that he was not allowed to wear on duty by Himmler.
                              Maybe a SS baton will surface in the future

Comment

Btw, great sword is an understatement.

It’s phenomenal.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 22 users online. 0 members and 22 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X