• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad I could help Yannis

Comment

Thank you for letting me help you

Regards

Comment

On the morning of 22 May, a Matilda tank moved from the airfield to the East Beach (the coast
        of Karteros) and conducted a reconnaissance of the German positions so that the British could
        make an assessment of the German strength. Reaching the river, the tank turned right and moved
        along the road towards the FschJgRgt.1 command post. The positioning of the anti-tank gun on
        the hill next to the road saved the command post from total destruction. A duel began between
        the anti-tank gun and the tank; finally, the tank was forced to retreat under constant fire from the
        anti-tank gun. Paratrooper Wilhelm Eiting from the 2./FschJgRgt.1 was decapitated by one shot
        from the tank and he was buried next to the Karteros Road.
        Paratrooper Gerhard Broder recalled the duel:
        The noise of a tank again: a tank is approaching through the ravine and continues on a rough
        track. It is firing and stops at a distance of about 20 metres from our position. The vineyard
        is hiding us from sight but the shallow hole does not protect us physically. I am lying on my
        back-side and have pulled all my belongings which might attract attention into my shallow
        hole. From time to time Jacobs looks for the tank to see in which direction its gun-barrel is
        pointing. Feldwebel Eiting, a reservist, married and the father of children, loses his nerve. He
        leaves his cover and rushes towards a brickwork well, in order to find cover behind it. A shell
        tears off his head

In the period picture can be seen the grave of Feldwebel Wilhelm Eiting at the vineyard next to the road. The same spot today with the characteristic water / irrigation reservoir still at the background but without the wind mille used to pump water. Also today can be seen the well / reservoir rigth at the side of the road and this was the one where Eiting tried to take cover, exactly as discribed by Gerhard Broder. This was the road used by the Matilda to attack the command post on 22
        May killing some more paratroopers on its way.

Comment

THE LAST SURVIVOR. ERNST AUGUST MEYER.
          It is with a sad heart to announce the passing of Ernst August Meyer on 5 October 2018. Meyer was the last survivor of this specific drop pictured in the period pictures from the battle for Heraklion airfield. Commanded by Leutnant Otto Schamberger, the III. Zug of 14 Kompanie of Fallschirmjaeger Regiment 1 had a strenght of 33 men and was equiped with Pak 35/36 anti-tank guns. Four Ju 52s transport aircraft were assigned to carry this platoon and drop it on Heraklion airfield. The fourth one with the Zundapp KS600 also carried the three-man crew. Ernst August Meyer was the driver of the platoon’s KS600 motorcycle. His aircraft arrived at the drop zone some 25 minutes after the other three Ju 52s of his platoon and dropped its stick west of the airfield. Meyer was one of only three men of the III. Zug to survive the Crete battle. RIP old Fallschirmjaeger.

https://i.lensdump.com/i/AneX7c.jpg

https://i.lensdump.com/i/AneFyH.jpg

https://i.lensdump.com/i/AnebUK.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by KRETAKAMPFER View Post
            THE LAST SURVIVOR. ERNST AUGUST MEYER.
            It is with a sad heart to announce the passing of Ernst August Meyer on 5 October 2018. Meyer was the last survivor of this specific drop pictured in the period pictures from the battle for Heraklion airfield. Commanded by Leutnant Otto Schamberger, the III. Zug of 14 Kompanie of Fallschirmjaeger Regiment 1 had a strenght of 33 men and was equiped with Pak 35/36 anti-tank guns. Four Ju 52s transport aircraft were assigned to carry this platoon and drop it on Heraklion airfield. The fourth one with the Zundapp KS600 also carried the three-man crew. Ernst August Meyer was the driver of the platoon’s KS600 motorcycle. His aircraft arrived at the drop zone some 25 minutes after the other three Ju 52s of his platoon and dropped its stick west of the airfield. Meyer was one of only three men of the III. Zug to survive the Crete battle. RIP old Fallschirmjaeger.

https://i.lensdump.com/i/AneX7c.jpg

https://i.lensdump.com/i/AneFyH.jpg

https://i.lensdump.com/i/AnebUK.jpg
            Well done Yannis bringing this sad news to our attention ! There is no question that this young FJ survived utter carnage in and around the airfield all those years ago to live a life most of his comrades lost ! Leutnant Otto Schamberger in particular ! All those battle scarred veterans are slowly disappearing , but you are keeping them very much alive with your book, and your in depth knowledge of the battle ! keep up the good work Yannis !

Comment

Bizare twists of fate in Heraklion Crete 1941

After researching for many years the story of the battle for Heraklion in Crete 1941 it was only recently that I realised some strange facts and twists of fate in this battle. During the battle of Waterloo the Black Watch regiment fought under the Duke of Wellington as allies with Field Marsal Blucher. It was the men of the 2nd Battalion of the Black Watch that Killed the Blucher brothers during the battle for Heraklion in 1941. So allies in 1815 then enemies in 1941. During the WW2 two of the german battleships were the Blucher and Bismark. Both of these families had members killed in Heraklion as well.

Comment

Yannis, your posts are always very informative!
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                  Yannis, your posts are always very informative!
                  Many thanks Wlli.
                  I try to focus on personal stories and unknown facts.
                  All the best.
                  Yannis

Comment

Superb book.

Hi, I read the book this week and couldn't put it down, what an incredible amount of detail and what a tragic waste of lives, one can only imagine the carnage, jumping without weopens into an almost certain death. Only trouble now is trying to find another book that is quite so readable!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Zeug View Post
                      Hi, I read the book this week and couldn't put it down, what an incredible amount of detail and what a tragic waste of lives, one can only imagine the carnage, jumping without weopens into an almost certain death. Only trouble now is trying to find another book that is quite so readable!
                      Many thanks for your good words. I keep researching the battle for Heraklion and some new discoveries and evidences come to light from time to time. You can see some posts I make in book's page
                      https://m.facebook.com/The-Battle-fo...?ref=bookmarks

Best regards.
                      Yannis

Comment

Hello all.
                        The book is noe available on Amazon in Kindle edition in a much lower price.
                        All the best
                        Yannis

Comment

Originally posted by KRETAKAMPFER View Post
                          Hello all.
                          The book is noe available on Amazon in Kindle edition in a much lower price.
                          All the best
                          Yannis
                          Just ordered the Kindle version and will order the hard copy for my trip.

Comment

Hi guys hope you are all ok, good day to bring this thread up

Comment

G6+EK going down in flames near Heraklion airfield. The Gun crew who shot it down and the gun on top of Koules at the port oF Heraklion
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hello everybody.
                                Here is a link for my presentation about the Battle for Heraklion according to my research for my book with some new information. The video is in Greek with English subtitles. Enjoy guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhkIm5eoieM

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X