New book about the battle of Crete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Page of the book

Here is the link for the page of the book with pictures and additional information on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Battle-...3046831352696/

Comment

Hi Gents

It took a while to finally get my hands on a copy of this book and without a doubt it was worth the wait! It has to be the finest book I have ever read on the battle of Crete. Its 1st hand accounts from so many soldiers from all sides really captures your imagination and puts you in the centre of what these men actually went through and what happened in and around Heraklion during the battle. The maps and photos really bring the battle to life and it is written in a way that is very easy for one to understand what happened there. Yannis really has done a fantastic job and his passion for this battle comes out in the book. I visited Crete for the 70th anniversary and most of my time was spent in the Maleme area. I will definetely return to the island one day to tour Heraklion again with this book in my hand, it is a must read for anyone who has an interest in airborne warfare and this battle. Well done Yannis!! it really is a special book

Comment

New Then and Now pictures from my research for the book.

Comment

Hi guys, I am actually right now at Heraklion, met with Yannis and Oliver who also is a collector and a very nice guy. It was great to finally meet Yannis and by all means bought his book, have not had the time to read it yet in one day, but taking into account the hard work implied by Yannis to put it all together it s a must that everyone interested in this area should have

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Great work Juan.
                I see that you already have spotted the buildings where the streetfighting took place as I describe in the book. Well done mate. I'm looking forward for your comments for the book.
                All the best.
                Yannis

Comment

Attached Files
                  Last edited by jlga; 08-14-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Yannis, it was great today, with my girlfriend s assistance and good help managed to get most of the pictures together from chapter 5 which I have already read and simply have to say it s amazing, the long walk I have had today together with those pictures will now help me to get a much better idea of the fighting s different stages. I will by all means read the book and so far I just can t wait to get time to read it all. Once again I thank you not only for having met with Oliver for a nice beer and nice chat but also for having written this superb book to honour those soldiers involved at Heraklion s battle

Comment

Thank you very much Juan for your good words.
                          I really enjoyed meeting you and Oliver in Heraklion. It was great that we had a few beers and a very nice conversstion about history. I'm really glad that you managed to find many places described in the book and your pictures are very nice. I would like to see pictures and posts like this aldo from other members visiting Heraklion with the help of my book.
                          Have a great stay in Crete.
                          Yannis

Comment

Can't wait to get into this one Yannis, looking to order one this week.
                            cheers
                            NCO

Comment

The day in Heraklion with Yannis and Juan was the holiday's highlight. Seeing the battlefield in real with Yannis guidance was like seeing the ghosts of the paratroopers pass by. Incredible in what small areas these dramatic events took place and how close they were together. Seeing the killing fields in which the paratroopers landed explain how little the chances of survival were as hundreds literally just jumped into certain death. It really is sobering to see places where so many young lives were wasted. Yannis explanation about the Cretan warrior mentality and the effects the Turkish wars had on the islands men help to understand the incredible fighting spirit. The more it is almost unbelievable that those ragged survivors had the will to fight on and win despite also tactical mistakes like wasting men and resources by f.e. trying to take Heraklion city. My thanks to Yannis for this unforgettable history lesson and the nice other conversations we had with a cold Freddo in the hand..: )

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X