70 years ago: a Fallschirmjäger and a Roman bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironcrown View Post
    Sorry you didn't get the deathcard Oriano.
    But never say never! These small piece of papers were made in several copies (not like the Sb and Wp, that are nearly one-of a-kind) so maybe one day you'll be able to get another one

Comment

Originally posted by kabulguy View Post
      Thank God Willi saved the bridge! A great narrative and terrific bit of research, Thank You Oriano.
      many thanks Kabulguy!!

ciao Oriano

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa View Post
        candian soldiers of the 48th Higlanders of Canada on the Tiberio Bridge the 21 september 1944!!
        Hi mufasa,

This is one magnificent thread on this bridge in Rimini, thanks for sharing.

However in pic 7 posted these are Greek Soldiers going over the bridge, members of the 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade who fought under the 1st Canadian Corps.

I have zoomed in clearly into one of the faces showing this Greek soldier lighting up a dart. Its a well known photo and I suspect the Bren Gunner also is Greek.

cheers
        NCO
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NCO View Post
          Hi mufasa,

This is one magnificent thread on this bridge in Rimini, thanks for sharing.

However in pic 7 posted these are Greek Soldiers going over the bridge, members of the 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade who fought under the 1st Canadian Corps.

I have zoomed in clearly into one of the faces showing this Greek soldier lighting up a dart. Its a well known photo and I suspect the Bren Gunner also is Greek.

cheers
          NCO

I think more than likely it is very possible ..... in all the sources especially the Canadians from which get the other, it is indicated men of the 48 Highlanders of Canada because they were the first to cross the Tiberius Bridge, but with the Germans them before I do not think he bothered to take pictures ...

while the Greeks arrive (with the New Zaeland Sherman) almost 12 hours after on the Marecchia River (the river of the Tiberius Bridge) and have all time, to pose in the famous video (and photos, enclose below) of the "conquest" of Rimini, to which you refer...

Congratulation NCO for your attention to detail!

ciao Oriano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgpWWyF8NvE

Comment

Thanks mufasa,

Yes, the Canadians were the first to cross this bridge securing the area which is why we see these Greeks walking across at ease soon after.

Most of the footage in the video link, 1 minute in from the begin are also Greeks making their advancements , storming forward at the ready of any resistance.

Great video to watch, great victory.

cheers
            NCO

Comment

Thanks mufasa,

Yes, the Canadians were the first to cross this bridge securing the area which is why we see these Greeks walking across at ease soon after.

Most of the footage in the video link, 1 minute in from the begin are also Greeks making their advancements , storming forward at the ready of any resistance.

Great video to watch, great victory.

cheers
              NCO

In the morning of 21 September, h 6,30, the first allies to enter in Piazza Cavour (the square of the video) are two New Zealand officiciers to seek a non-mined open way to their Tank. At 7.00 the NZ Sherman arrive in the square Sherman supported by the Greek soldiers.
              Shortly after the Greeks are in Piazza Cavour and hoisted on the town tower, the Greek and Canadian flag (unfortunately I have never found a picture).
              Around twelve o'clock the Bren carriers of captain Anastossios Korinas arrive in front to the Tiberius Bridge, and they will stop for waiting the 48 Hightlander who has the task of chasing the Germans, that from the Celles (see map and post on Celle Pantherturm here, a few pages back) they keep under fire the bridge

and in memory of German, Greek and Candian soldiers, on Tiberio Bridge September 21, 1944 ....
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mufasa; 08-22-2016, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Nice work mufasa,

Thank you for the detailed timing explanation on events at Rimini.

I like that Greek Crown for a side cap.

cheers
                NCO

Comment

Must agree with others, this is a most excellent thread, thanks!

Hope to visit your area again sometime.
                  Regards,
                  John
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                    Must agree with others, this is a most excellent thread, thanks!

Hope to visit your area again sometime.
                    Regards,
                    John

many thanks John!
                    ciao Oriano

Comment

Nice work mufasa,

Thank you for the detailed timing explanation on events at Rimini.

I like that Greek Crown for a side cap.

cheers
                      NCO
                      I realized only in this moment Greek flag in your avatar Nco !!

and for you a special tribute to Greek soldiers that from 13/14 September (to mid-November 1944) joined by Canadians against German paratroopers, from Riccione to Cervia on the adriatic coast..

the greek badge because I saw that here in Rimini, although in British uniforms greeks used their "old" badges ....

this photo (by George Kaye) is dated , Rimini 21 September 1944!!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

the cemetery of the Greek soldiers fallen, right in Riccione
                        Attached Files

Comment

Rimini and the Evzones on the Presidential Palace in Athens
                          Attached Files

Comment

and even today the Greek soldiers carry Rimini on their uniforms or the veterans in their badges ...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Rimini in the Greek commemorative stamps of War II (see the mistake in last stamp : Rimini is positioned 3/400 km more south!
                              Attached Files

Comment

and finally my favorite souvenir of the Greeks in Rimini ... a commemorative booklet on their battle against the paratroopers in their two months here....
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X