Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some very sharp eagles John! I also enjoyed that heavy gray cotton backed one.

Interesting about the camo printed completely on the tan base. Have you seen a smock like that? I have seen splinter smocks (including early step-ins) that seem to be on a more tan base. But, I have yet to see a smock that had all the colors printed over tan fabric. Your eagle is clearly from a smock like that. I feel base colors can go from olive to an olive-tan (like many splinter hook covers) to a tan. Then there is that very unusual tan splinter, that we have discussed before.

The smock pictured in my emblem on the left has a tan base to it. John, I think I sent you photos of that one a few years ago.

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi,

I've seen the early splinters on what I considered a grey-green instead of the usual olive-green, but none on a tan-green; we need to get together and compare notes sometime.

No, I've never seen a complete smock where all the colors were printed as the fabric from the eagle above illustrates, there has to be some examples "out there" though!

John
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Interesting & Informative Thread!

I know zip about cloth, I haven't handled any in years. This thread has been a learning experience for me. Great stuff! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Rick,

In addition to good information on smock eagles, I wanted to make a point on this thread about cut insignia. Many members seem to think collecting cut insignia is over rated. For students of paratrooper uniforms, this last posted breast eagle illustrates how very important information gleaned from cut insignia can be. This last eagle represents a lost chapter of jump smock production; splinter smocks that were produced by completely covering the base fabric color with dye, two shades of green and one of brown.

Between us, Willi and I have seen many jump smocks over the years, yet neither of us has ever seen another smock printed in this way. Cut insignia can be very important!
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John/Willi
            On the first page of this thread there is a wool eagle from Jos le Conte which exactly matches the green eagle we have been discussing. Is there anyway of getting them side-by-side ?

Regards
            Steve

Comment

inside stitching
              Attached Files
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

another
                Attached Files
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Willi,

Didn't notice that Steve had brought up another thread. These are details from his smock.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by John Hodgin; 12-18-2003, 10:17 AM.
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

From Jos
                    Attached Files
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Jos' rear
                      Attached Files
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Jos's eagle looks like a blue-grey wool eagle. That other one, unless I am seeing it wrongly, looks like a green cotton backed eagle. Am I correct? Or am I suffering from eagle overdose??

Willi
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn
                          Jos's eagle looks like a blue-grey wool eagle. That other one, unless I am seeing it wrongly, looks like a green cotton backed eagle. Am I correct? Or am I suffering from eagle overdose??

Willi
                          Too much rumcake? It is that time of year..

Steve is saying the eagles are the same design, though on different backings.
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin
                            Too much rumcake? It is that time of year..

Steve is saying the eagles are the same design, though on different backings.
                            ...That's right John . Try and keep up Willi !!
                            My point was that this style of eagle is seen in several known fakes but is copied from an original ( like Jos's ). The area of the neck and where the wings join the shoulders is quite distinctive. At this moment in time I am prepared to give it the benefit of doubt and am not willing to remove it from the smock until I am 100% convinced it is wrong. If anyone can show me an identical green/cotton eagle of exactly the same type being sold as a repro then I would be convinced . Until then I will hold on and take the flak. Anyone with a vet acquired eagle ???

Regards
                            Steve

Comment

Hi All,
                              Thought you would like to see this eagle, even though it didn't come from a smock.
                              Attached Files
                              Terry Keller
                              "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
                              Rammstein

Comment

Nice eagle Terry! Blue-grey HBT on a green HBT jacket. Have yet to see that combination. Very cool.

Steve, I am trying to keep up.... I count smock eagles in my head when I try to go to sleep, so I get them mixed up at times.... We are though, still trying to figure your eagle out. Usually seeing the back (of the eagle but also of the smock area) breaks the code on these. I still don't have a good feeling, but I can't be abolsute with my bad feeling.

Willi
                                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X