Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve wanted me to post this eagle. The eagle is on a smock that belongs to a friend of Steve's. The smock is obviously good and rare. I've already given my opinion of the eagle directly to Steve. Other opinions please.

Regards,
    John
    Attached Files
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

disconnectedmoremad
      Attached Files
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I am sure you and I agree on this without consulting.....not an original eagle.

Willi
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Here's one eagle that I have and believe to be from a smock. What do you think?
          Terry K.
          Attached Files
          Terry Keller
          "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
          Rammstein

Comment

Hi Terry,

Yes, these were used on jump smocks. If you look back through this thread you will see one like it that I posted....it may be on the Luft. breast eagle thread instead, but again, they were used on smocks.

Best,
            John
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Here is a grey twill on tan/water. I'm going to post more here later, talk about cut insignia, and why many value it so much.
              Attached Files
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Here is an eagle similar to the one above, only carefully removed from a uniform. IMHO, the eagle still on the tan/water material is far more interesting and educational.....and rare.
                Attached Files
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Here is a splinter/greunmeliert backed eagle that was also carefully removed from a jump smock.
                  Attached Files
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

The same type eagle as above, but on a piece of tan-water smock. More interesting? Willi stated on another thread that cut insignia was often "hacked" from a uniform in haste; this eagle illustrates this act well.
                    Attached Files
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Here is another splinter/greun eagle just like above, but this time cut from a splinter smock. Thanks to Steve for allowing me to photograph this one.
                      Attached Files
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

This one is greunmeliert backed, sewn on splinter material. It is extremely scarce, but not because it is a greunmeliert eagle on splinter material.....
                        Attached Files
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John,
                          That last (green ) one is stitched on to a piece of tight-weave cotton splinter, which is one of the rarer splinter fabrics. Or am I wrong?
                          Regards
                          Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

It is the fabric, the base color of it. This eagle is from a splinter on tan. I'd sure love to have the smock this is from, with the eagle still in place.
                            Attached Files
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Very interesting John !
                              I always assumed that splinter camo was made by printing green and brown splinters ( and green raindrops ) over a base fabric of whatever colour. This would suggest that the green base colour of the camo side was also printed. Is this how you see it ?

Regards
                              Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

I think both of your assumptions are correct. Early splinter patterns were made by printing green and brown over the the more olive green base fabric. But in the case of this last eagle both greens were printed with the brown so that the background color was not tan; very unusual. It's documented that green and brown splinter pattern was also printed on tan base fabric without the second green so the result is a "tan" splinter smock.
                                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X