GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric,

I think Bill is correct, is this a grave marker for someone from Gebirgsjaeger Regiment who went through an accelerated course and jumped in the Akenes area of Norway in support of 1./FJR1 in late May of 1940?

John

Comment

That's right John. I believe the men killed in the Akenes area all died on May 28, 1940, the same date as this grave marker. I have seen very little material from these men ( Geb.Jg. who jumped in Norway ) over the years. I posted a portrait photo earlier from one of these men ( who obviously survived operation Yellow ) Eric

Comment

One last one for today. I have this guys whole album.
        Attached Files

Comment

Eric,

Great last pic for the night!! It's nice to have whole albums which gives us a much larger picture of what these FJ's went through during those times. Yes and in most cases their familiies are also portrayed in the albums as well. It's time to

Comment

Giday Bill,

I believe your photograph, which is the subject of your post No. 238, shows Oberst Brauer conducting an inspection of Fallschirmjäger who presumably belong to Fallschirmjäger Regiment 1. What I found most interesting is that Brauer appears to be wearing a regimental cuff title on his right sleeve.

My guess is that the photograph was probably taken during late 1940. Photographs showing Fallschirmjäger wearing regimental cuff titles during the war years are quite rare.

Thank you Bill for sharing this photo with us.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Hi all,
              another one from my small collection...
              Herlé
              Attached Files

Comment

Morning Ian,

Thank you for the information about Oberst Brauer...I didn't realize regimental cufftitles were that rare during that time period. Now I know why Eric was interested in my cuffittle photos!!

Herle,

Fantastic photo on highly decorated FJ . Normally you see these types of shots before or after parades. Thanks for sharing your photo on this thread Bill

Here is nice close up shot of RK FJ Officer giving a briefing during a Training exercise

Comment

Heres another

Comment

and yet one more

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz
                      Eric,

I think you have convinced me that it is Kreta after all. Yannis will be happy to see this photo....some of the civilians in the photos may look Greek to him
                      Bill... they do!

What wonderfull photos everybody!!

This has got to be one of the best threads on the entire forum.
                      educational and lots of fun at the same time!

All the best
                      Yannis

Comment

Originally posted by Yannis
                        This has got to be one of the best threads on the entire forum.
                        educational and lots of fun at the same time!
                        Well Yannis, I cannot but totally agree with you! I'm not a FJ collector at all, but I'm interested in this formation anyway. This thread, along with the many great and rare (never before published) photos and ditto background information, learned me a lot about the German FJ troops during WW II ... and it is even more interesting to see how the FJ buffs on this forum go bananas when looking at each other's photos Just got to love it! But hey, just keep them comming !

Kind regards
                        Geert

Comment

Herlé, NCO straps being worn on a jumpsmock! Very fine, and rare photo!

Bill, those training photos are beautifully sharp and clear Do you have any history on them?

Eric, as I said, you need to do another book!... or two.
                          Thanks all,
                          John
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Yannis,

That is what these threads and the forum are all about. We have our discussions, disagreements...share and learn a great deal but it can be fun as well. Yet we must remind ourselves that War can be pretty ugly at times. What we collect are items that come out of War! One reason why I'm interested in photos is that they capture what the soldier sees....you are looking through his eyes and a seeing what he saw in the war. A Pictorial history has always fascinated me. Bill

Here are a couple of FJ Graves on Kreta

Comment

John,

Unfortunately no history or writing on the back of those training photos just the standard agfa-brovida print logo. I'm glad you like them - Bill

Geert,

I'm glad you can join us in this thread. Many enjoy looking but very few post their thoughts...I enjoy sharing what I have after all the years I've been collecting. I finally have the means to show others and share what little I know about one of my favorite areas of collecting.

Here is is an interesting photo comparison (I didn't take the photo out of a Soldbuch ) of the same man

Comment

Fj In Brittany

Here is some FJ picture taken in Brittany (second FJD not far from Brest...)

Herlé
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by H BABERT; 05-08-2004, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X