Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting discussion guys, the leave pages are often over looked I think.

Comment

Many are different or similar names for the same thing. Most fit under one of the list.
      Jeff

Comment

In order to take this forward and first consolidate what we have thus far:

hucks216 & Lt. Martin, thank you for the information from 'German Third Reich Era Documents Vol 2' by Jeffrey F. Young & Daniel W. Meinz.

Pages 23-24 listed authorized leaves taken. These were the primary types of leaves:
        • Erholungsurlaub (rest and relaxation)
        • Sonderurlaub (special)
        • Wochenendurlaub-Festtagsurlaub (weekend-holiday)
        • Nachturlaub (overnight)
        • Arbeitsurlaub (work)

As in any military force, leave from duties, whether on the battle-front or not, was looked forward to with great joy. The destination was not specified in both the Soldbuch and leave chit. Those returning to Germany could only visit their home of residence (spousal address listed on page 5) or, for unmarried soldier, their parents of next-of-kin, listed on the same page. However, entire units could not go on leave at the same time, therefore priorities for those first to get such leave were set as follows:
        • Bad situation at home
        • Married, especially those with children
        • WWI veterans
        • Those who haven’t had leave in a long time

Specifics of the official leaves authorized are as follows:

1.) Erholungsurlaub
        • Normal earned leave
        • 14 days, plus 2 travel days
        • Could not exceed 15% of unit strength

2.) Sonderurlaub
        • 10-14 days, plus 2 travel days:
        • Bombed out at home: up to 20 days (entry will read “Bombenbeschädigter”)
        • Visit relatives in conjunction with a hospital stay in the same region; 3 days (entry will read “z. Verwandtenbesuch im Anschluß an Lazarettenbehandlung”)
        • After hospital stay outside of home region; 14 days (entry will read “Genesungsurlaub”) [convalescent leave]
        • Recuperation from serious wounds/illness; 28 days (entry will read “Wiederherstellung d. Gesundheit”)
        • Unfit for duty; up to release from active duty (entry will read “Dienstuntauglich-Verfahrens”) [medical unfitness-criminal violators, or homosexual]
        • Outstanding athletes returning for national competitions.

3.) Wochenesurlaub-Festtagsurlaub
        • In basic training: Married; two weeks per training period Single; one weekend per training period
        • If not in basic training, and stationed in Germany; Married; twice monthly Single; once monthly

Weekend and holiday leaves could be taken from 1100 on Saturday to 0900 on Monday, and personnel were required to remain within 100 KM of their base. Only 10% of unit strength could be on weekend/holiday leave at any time.

4.) Nachturlaub
        • A special endorsement was needed for simply being absent after taps. The “Nachturlaub” allowed the holder a Saturday night (Nacht) out, namely from 1100 on Saturday to 0900 on Sunday. One night could result in a great deal of fun and relaxation.

In addition to those listed above, the following entries and comments have been gleaned as a result of entries in Soldbucher from collections (thank you to all who have provided some input):

Einsatzurlaub - another name for Erholungurlaub but can be called this when a man is transfered to a field unit.

Prothesenurlaub - prostheses leave

Weihnachtenurlaub - Christmas leave

Ernteurlaub - Harvest leave

Landwirtschafts Hilfe

Heimatsurlaub

Sonderurlaub zur Wahrung der Gesundheit

Fronturlaub

Tapferkeitsurlaub

Hitlerfreiplatzspende

Gefährdung der bürgerlichen Existenz (?)

As this thread is now pinned, it is an opportunity to expand and further examine these entries in full. To that end, if anyone can add any information on the existing entries listed, or provide further examples, it will provide an excellent resource.

Regards Richard.
        Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Heimaturlaub-Home Leave

A few more that I have found in my soldbuchs:

Festtagurlaub-festive holiday
          Lehrgangs-Unterbrechung-???

Correct me if I am wrong,

Thanks,
          Swayne
          Last edited by Lt. Martin; 03-05-2011, 06:09 AM.

Comment

I found some more in my collection.
            One was "(Sonderurlaub) Sicherung d. bürgerl. Existenz". See Jochen's entry as well.
            Another one was coded: "A.H.M.43, Ziffer 867, 866 b", vacation for one week in June 1944.
            I also found one which is related to additional training: "Urlaub (Lehrgangsteilnahme)". See Swayne's last entry as well.
            And a last one should be the last leave before being sent back to the front unit: "14 Tg. Abstellurlaub".

Comment

thanks all for the terrific and scholarly thread. ausgezeichnet! again waf proves its great value; not only to collectors but researchers and military historians as well.

Comment

Looking at the entries on these pages for the various types of leave, one thing I have noticed is the appearance of the word 'Freifahrt', on the left side of the page, where the stamp is placed. The meaning of this is clear enough without requiring any translation, but there are a couple of things that I have noticed that make me curious.

Firstly, why is it only sometimes written in, but not always? Surely with the nature of things the travel cost would always have been free, so it seems strange to write it in.

Secondly, I see that it is not always written in by the same person that recorded the rest of the leave details. Some times it is, but other times it isn't. I've also noted that it is occassionally written in red ink in contrast to the rest of the relevant entry, again sometimes by the same person, but sometimes clearly by someone else.

Does anyone know the reasons for these?

Comment

Einsatz leave entry

I have added a scan to show a soldbuch with a einsatz leave entry. Does this mean that this soldier (in Rgt. HG) was granted normal leave from his field unit, and has nothing to do with any combat related action that earned him a special leave? I read the einsatz leave translation on this thread, but I just want to make sure of it's meaning, so any help is very appreciated. Thank you!

Best regards,

Tom
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think that Sonderurlaub also included Marriage leave and death of a close relative.
                    A.H.M. = Allgemeine Heeresmitteilungen

Comment

Another category that I've run across lately is "Kultururlaub" - Cultural Leave. I've seen it on two different sets of leave papers for soldiers on leave in Paris. I'm guessing it would be classified as Erholungsurlaub, but might fall under Sonderurlaub.

Great thread!

Mattski

Comment

very interesting discussion !!!

Comment

Hello,
                          some nice example in this soldbuch..

Herlé
                          Attached Files

Comment

One more :

- Kürzurlaub I found this mention in a Soldbuch for a 5 days leave.

Comment

here one entry, study holidays

Comment

one entry here, Christmas Holiday

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X