This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbuch Urlaub Entries.

Is there a defintive list of the Urlaub 'types' entered and subsequently authorised within Soldbucher? (similar to the Wounds/Sickness codes in the Hospitalisation pages)

I would be interested to learn if there is such a thing, especially as an aid in the field of research.

I have seen Genesung Urlaub (Convalescence leave) and Erholungs Urlaub (Recovery leave) however, can anyone expand on the myriad of other Urlaub types granted to the original holders?

As always, all help will be very well received indeed.

Regards Richard.
    Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

There were 5 primary ones:

1) Erholungsurlaub (R & R)
    2) Sonderurlaub (Special)
    3) Wochenendurlaub-Festtagsurlaub (Weekend holiday)
    4) Nachturlaub (Overnight)
    5) Arbeitsurlaub (Work)

For the Sonderurlaub entry there were a few variations:

i) Bombenbeschaedigter for those whose homes were bombed
    ii) z. Verwandtenbesuch im Anschluss an Lazarettenbehandlung for those visiting relatives in conjunction with a hospital stay in the same region
    iii) Genesungsurlaub for after hospital stay outside of home region
    iv) Wiederherstellung d. Gesundheit for recuperation from serious injuries
    v) Dienstuntauglich-Verfahrens for those unfit for further military service up to the point of release (medical, criminal etc)

Source: German Third Reich Era Documents Vol 2 by Jeffrey F. Young & Daniel W. Meinz.
    Last edited by hucks216; 02-14-2011, 09:02 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
      There were 5 primary ones:

1) Erholungsurlaub (R & R)
      2) Sonderurlaub (Special)
      3) Wochenendurlaub-Festtagsurlaub (Weekend holiday)
      4) Nachturlaub (Overnight)
      5) Arbeitsurlaub (Work)

For the Sonderurlaub entry there were a few variations:

i) Bombenbeschaedigter for those whose homes were bombed
      ii) z. Verwandtenbesuch im Anschluss an Lazarettenbehandlung for those visiting relatives in conjunction with a hospital stay in the same region
      iii) Genesungsurlaub for after hospital stay outside of home region
      iv) Wiederherstellung d. Gesundheit for recuperation from serious injuries
      v) Dienstuntauglich-Verfahrens for those unfit for further military service up to the point of release (medical, crminal etc)

Source: German Third Reich Era Documents Vol 2 by Jeffrey F. Young & Daniel W. Meinz.

That is excellent! Many thanks indeed for putting this up.

This will be very useful indeed in the research of Soldbucher in the future.

Regards Richard.
      Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Kevin,

Thank you for the list.

But what about Einsatzurlaub ?

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

From: German Third Reich Era Documents Vol 2 by Jeffrey F. Young & Daniel W. Meinz.

Pages 23-24 listed authorized leaves taken. These were the primary types of leaves:
          • Erholungsurlaub (rest and relaxation)
          • Sonderurlaub (special)
          • Wochenendurlaub-Festtagsurlaub (weekend-holiday)
          • Nachturlaub (overnight)
          • Arbeitsurlaub (work)

As in any military force, leave from duties, whether on the battle-front or not, was looked forward to with great joy. The destination was not specified in both the Soldbuch and leave chit. Those returning to Germany could only visit their home of residence (spousal address listed on page 5) or, for unmarried soldier, their parents of next-of-kin, listed on the same page. However, entire units could not go on leave at the same time, therefore priorities for those first to get such leave were set as follows:
          • Bad situation at home
          • Married, especially those with children
          • WWI veterans
          • Those who haven’t had leave in a long time

Specifics of the official leaves authorized are as follows:

1.) Erholungsurlaub
          • Normal earned leave
          • 14 days, plus 2 travel days
          • Could not exceed 15% of unit strength

2.) Sonderurlaub
          • 10-14 days, plus 2 travel days:
          • Bombed out at home: up to 20 days (entry will read “Bombenbeschädigter”)
          • Visit relatives in conjunction with a hospital stay in the same region; 3 days (entry will read “z. Verwandtenbesuch im Anschluß an Lazarettenbehandlung”)
          • After hospital stay outside of home region; 14 days (entry will read “Genesungsurlaub”) [convalescent leave]
          • Recuperation from serious wounds/illness; 28 days (entry will read “Wiederherstellung d. Gesundheit”)
          • Unfit for duty; up to release from active duty (entry will read “Dienstuntauglich-Verfahrens”) [medical unfitness-criminal violators, or homosexual]
          • Outstanding athletes returning for national competitions.

3.) Wochenesurlaub-Festtagsurlaub
          • In basic training: Married; two weeks per training period Single; one weekend per training period
          • If not in basic training, and stationed in Germany; Married; twice monthly Single; once monthly

Weekend and holiday leaves could be taken from 1100 on Saturday to 0900 on Monday, and personnel were required to remain within 100 KM of their base. Only 10% of unit strength could be on weekend/holiday leave at any time.

4.) Nachturlaub
          • A special endorsement was needed for simply being absent after taps. The “Nachturlaub” allowed the holder a Saturday night (Nacht) out, namely from 1100 on Saturday to 0900 on Sunday. One night could result in a great deal of fun and relaxation.

Swayne Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Eric-Jan Bakker View Post
            Kevin,

Thank you for the list.

But what about Einsatzurlaub ?

yours friendly

Eric-Jan
            Hello Eric-Jan,
            I'm afraid I have no information on that one. I expect that there are a few others in addition to those I originally listed, such as Weihnachten for Christmas Leave.
            Last edited by hucks216; 02-14-2011, 01:30 PM. Reason: Additional Information.

Comment

An interesting one that was in one of my soldbuchs was "Prothesenurlaub"

The man in the soldbuch had his arm amputated, and therefore, he had prostheses leaves.

Swayne

Comment

Einsatzurlaub is another name for Erholungurlaub but can be called this when a man is transfered to a field unit.
                Jeff

Comment

I remember to have seen "Ernteurlaub" - leave for harvest

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by JUNGCO View Post
                    Einsatzurlaub is another name for Erholungurlaub but can be called this when a man is transfered to a field unit.
                    Jeff
                    Hi Jeff,

No idea how that works with the names they used.

But I have a Soldbuch from a soldier who served with the same unit the entire war, and Einsatzurlaub and Erholungsurlaub are both used.

I did find some others:

- Landwirtschafts Hilfe.

- Heimatsurlaub.

- S.-Url.z.W.d.Gesundh ( Sonder Urlaub zu Wohlstand der Gesundheid ?)

- Fronturlaub.

- Weihnachtsurlaub.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

Eric-Jan,

S.-Url. z. W. d. Gesundheit - Sonderurlaub zur Wahrung der Gesundheit

Cheers
                      Gerdan

Comment

I'd imagine alot of them are the same and would just depend on how the person writing in the details decided to enter the information, so that Landwirtschafts Hilfe could also be the same as Ernteurlaub for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
                          Eric-Jan,

S.-Url. z. W. d. Gesundheit - Sonderurlaub zur Wahrung der Gesundheit

Cheers
                          Gerdan
                          Thank you very much for the correction Gerdan, I really appreciate that as I didn't have a clue what to make of it.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

Very good idea for a thread. Thanks for the interesting info ... all quite complicated of course

I found three more which were not listed yet:
                            - Tapferkeitsurlaub
                            - Hitlerfreiplatzspende (I believe it was something like a free bed in a sanatorium or something alike)
                            - Gefährdung der bürgerlichen Existenz (?)

Does anyone of the experts happen to know what the last two were for?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Tapferkeitsurlaub - Is that a reward for an act of bravery ?

Cheers
                              Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X