This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Stimson
    This thread is getting a little off-topic with the discussion of "fake" vs. "not fake." Maybe a thread on this subject ("Fake or not?") could be started in the "Collector Community" Forum where more hobbyists could contribute their thoughts on the subject.
    I’m sorry George, you are absolutely correct, one more time I’m dragging this thread in to the wrong direction…I will try to stay really quiet this time…<o =""></o>

Comment

Robert

You don't have to stay quiet at all. Just try to remember to stay on the subject of the thread. Another thread on the "Fake or not?" topic would be just fine by me -- as long as it's somewhere else.
      George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
        You don't have to stay quiet at all. Just try to remember to stay on the subject of the thread. Another thread on the "Fake or not?" topic would be just fine by me -- as long as it's somewhere else.
        Point taken. Fake or not ( In the light of the recent Dietrich discovery (about S&L RK’s))?

Thanks George!

Comment

Thank you, Robert!
          George

Comment

George, any comment on my post 104?

Comment

Andy

My First Class S&L EKs are fairly lacking in frosting but my EK 2 has quite a bit. Let me check it and I'll get back to you.
              George

Comment

Here is my RK. It was scanned at 1200dpi so it is a big file! What doyou say Dietrich?
                Marc

http://garlasco.com/wmslrkob.jpg

http://garlasco.com/wmslrkrev.jpg

Comment

Hi Marc,

regular unflawed A-Type with he painted finish and the starting dimple. Fits absolutely perfect in the time line with the other (late) A-Types.

Dietrich
                  Attached Files
                  B&D PUBLISHING
                  Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hopkins
                    If there are in fact 2 die types, the issue then becomes sorting out which type Bs are wartime and which were assembled/struck post war. There may never be a way to definitively say which is which. I'm fairly certain that some postwar SLs were made from all original left over components. These components may very well have been stamped and maker marked during the war (look at the L/11 57 EK1s). I think the answer may lay in the beading finish. I have always been suspicious of the "painted" beading. This seems like something that would have been done as a postwar expedient. Very telling, I think, is the 935/4 RK owned by Jody Beltram. I have the pics somewhere, but as I remember it is a type B WITH the "pickled" beading finish. Perhaps Jody can post pics for us and confirm this fact?
                    Hi Andy,
                    Here is images of my RK. This example is hallmarked 4 935 (upside down). Unlike so many 4 935 RKs I have seen over the years, it is not mint or in an award case. As I have said before, it was veteran obbtained in the late 70's (I know it is a good war-time produced piece). To be honest, the finish does not look painted on to me. The Cross is in a safety deposit box so I can't scan it at the moment.
                    Regards,
                    Jody

Here is the front:

Comment

4 935 Rk

Here is the back:
                      Attached Files

Comment

4 935 Rk

Ohter images of it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

4 935 Rk

The reverse:
                          Attached Files

Comment

4 935 Rk

25 year old crappy picture of it's hallmark, that I had sent to Jack Angolia.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dietrich - awarded 6 March 1944

Comment

Jody,

thanks for posting. From what I can see, the frosting is painted on. The 'real' frosting (and I'm not judging here, just to point out the difference) has a very sharp borderline which stays like that. In post # 115 one can see some flaking.

Dietrich
                                B&D PUBLISHING
                                Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 23 users online. 0 members and 23 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X