Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markus View Post
    I remember Remy Schrijnen saying that his KC and other awards
    are all replacements and that nothing survived the war.
    Maybe someone can varify this?
    That is correct.

Best regards

Comment

Hello, perharps a silly question .were the criteria to obtain a Knight's Cross superior to the criteria to obtain a medal of honor in the us army?

Comment

You can't get a Medal of Honor for commanding troops or prevailing in battle - Germans could be awarded the RK for that I believe...

Comment

Sepp45 !

You make nice thread of RK's and RK holders. but please save all pics You take it from net to your computer and than paste it to forum.
          Thats the best way to keep photos. If you paste it directly ,sometimes photos disappeared.
          Thank You !
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by borodinenko View Post
            Hello, perharps a silly question .were the criteria to obtain a Knight's Cross superior to the criteria to obtain a medal of honor in the us army?
            464 Medal(s) of Honor were awarded during WWII verus 7500+ Knight's Crosses. They are not really a comparable award.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Donovan View Post
              464 Medal(s) of Honor were awarded during WWII verus 7500+ Knight's Crosses. They are not really a comparable award.

John
              Is it possible to find one? Medal of Honor. I want one! If not an original, a VERY good copy!
              Gee, John, I really regret I sold the very nice Infantry Colonel tunic, that I bought from you some years ago!

Comment

I believe it's a Federal offense to sell a MOH. Rather significant jail time if bagged.

Seem to recall someone had 'access' to fakes here on the forum but, of course, wasn't openly selling them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
                  Is it possible to find one? Medal of Honor. I want one! If not an original, a VERY good copy!
                  Gee, John, I really regret I sold the very nice Infantry Colonel tunic, that I bought from you some years ago!
                  Hi Ludwig,

I've never collected American medals, so I couldn't really say - strange I guess, since I am an American. There was a new Federal law enacted here last year that made it illegal to sell or possess the Medal of Honor. Perhaps others could comment further.

I remember that tunic - it was a nice one. A few months ago I sold the Nietert KC group that I had originally bought from you. That was a nice one too! I have a new KC group in it's place though.

Best,
                  John

Comment

John
                    ok, many thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
                      You can't get a Medal of Honor for commanding troops or prevailing in battle - Germans could be awarded the RK for that I believe...
                      thanks for your response too

Comment

The MOH & the Law

I've heard one can still purchase a MOH "Under the table" by some dealers. All I can say is They best not get caught ! BIG fines & jail time !! After the law was passed several dealers found themselves "Stuck" with a big buck item they could not legaly sell or trade or eve own. Of course any dealer outside the US can do anything they wish - Except sell to an American. I believe Emedals in Canada has one on thier list. Tom

Comment

John
                          Lets compare military casualties for Germany versus USA during the war.

Germany KIA 5,533,000, WIA 6,035,000.

USA KIA 416,837, WIA 683,846.

More combat - more RK!

/ Daniel

Comment

I still feel you can't compare a MOH with an RK due to the fact that the MOH was ONLY awarded for significant bravery while the RK was awarded (in some cases) to Generals & commanders of successful actions (essentially organizational skills and luck). I've always felt that awarding to commanders who were not taking part in close combat watered down the medal's significance.

I can't think of a US General who was awarded a MOH. Marine General Smedley Butler I believe, earned his two (2) MOH when he was in the lower ranks....

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
                              I still feel you can't compare a MOH with an RK due to the fact that the MOH was ONLY awarded for significant bravery while the RK was awarded (in some cases) to Generals & commanders of successful actions (essentially organizational skills and luck). I've always felt that awarding to commanders who were not taking part in close combat watered down the medal's significance.

I can't think of a US General who was awarded a MOH. Marine General Smedley Butler I believe, earned his two (2) MOH when he was in the lower ranks....

Douglas MacArthur saus hello

Comment

Originally posted by jul208 View Post
                                Lets compare military casualties for Germany versus USA during the war.

Germany KIA 5,533,000, WIA 6,035,000.

USA KIA 416,837, WIA 683,846.

More combat - more RK!

/ Daniel
                                Daniel,

Won't argue with you on that point - you are indeed correct!

That said, the KC could be awarded for successful leadership a during a battle, for example a Battalion or Regimental commander could receive the KC for leading his unit during an engagement. The KC would be predicated on success of the engagement and not necessarily the personal bravery of the officer.

The Medal of Honor requires an act(s) of extreme personal bravery, the wording is "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his or her life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States."

The standards for two awards were simply different.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X