No announcement yet.

DKiS -- Opinions, Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom; you need to borrow or buy a set of more accurate digital scales and accurate digital callipers. It is really pointless to second guess with these pieces, the fakes are very good. I would consider the $100 investment in these items well worth the money considering the outlay and risk in these pieces. <O</O

Comment

Originally posted by Dez H
      Tom; you need to borrow or buy a set of more accurate digital scales and accurate digital callipers. It is really pointless to second guess with these pieces, the fakes are very good. I would consider the $100 investment in these items well worth the money considering the outlay and risk in these pieces. <O</O
      Dez-
      I think you misunderstood me. I have an accurate scale and calipers. Curtiss, the owner of the cross, does not. He has a weight watchers scale and a ruler. My scale is accurate to .05 gram.

The point I am making here is that a common standard, a modern state type US qaurter, 8 of which weigh 45.3 grams, measures 44 grams on his weight watchers scale. His DKiS weighs 37g on the same scale. Therefore the cross is about 38 grams. It cannot be real at this weight.

Comment

Let's not bury this,as it has nice features consistent with an original zimmerman, yet the weight is way off. I think if a fake is this close in appearance, it is somewhat frightening.

Comment

Originally posted by tom hansen
          Let's not bury this,as it has nice features consistent with an original zimmerman, yet the weight is way off. I think if a fake is this close in appearance, it is somewhat frightening.
          Good morning Tom,
          This came from the elderly son of the Vet, who served with Bradly in Italy. He claims he has had it in his possession from his father for over fifty years. My biggest fear was that date banner, and the base plate edges looking bubbly? The seller was going to send me more documentation concerning his father's military history. Was there suppossed to be a heavey and a light version of this Zimmerman?
          Thank you,
          Curtiss

Comment

Originally posted by nonameno
            Good morning Tom,
            This came from the elderly son of the Vet, who served with Bradly in Italy. He claims he has had it in his possession from his father for over fifty years. My biggest fear was that date banner, and the base plate edges looking bubbly? The seller was going to send me more documentation concerning his father's military history. Was there suppossed to be a heavey and a light version of this Zimmerman?
            Thank you,
            Curtiss
            Yes, the light version is 44.5-45.2 grams. That is why I am suprised that everyone is letting this thread die, as the features of the cross look good, but it cannot be real if it is that light. If it is a fake, it is a very good one that everyone should be aware of. Let me be clear that I understood you- those 8 US quarters weighed 44g and yet the cross weighs 37? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tom hansen
              Yes, the light version is 44.5-45.2 grams. That is why I am suprised that everyone is letting this thread die, as the features of the cross look good, but it cannot be real if it is that light. If it is a fake, it is a very good one that everyone should be aware of. Let me be clear that I understood you- those 8 US quarters weighed 44g and yet the cross weighs 37? Thanks.
              Hello Tom,
              Yes, the 8 quarters were 44g and the cross was 37. I don't have the cross in my hands any longer, so I cannot weigh it again. I returned it to the son of the Vet, as there seemed to be enough concern about it's originality, that I was uncomfortable with keeping it. I could contact the seller and ask him to weigh it?
              Thanks,
              Curtiss

Comment

Curtis,

can go to a jeweler for measure it.

Ivan Bombardieri

Comment

Originally posted by IVAN
                  Curtis,

can go to a jeweler for measure it.
                  Hello Ivan,
                  I do not have it in my possession any longer. I returned it to the seller. But, maybe I could contact him after he receives it, and see if he would be willing to get it properly weighed and measured.
                  Thank you,
                  Curtiss

Comment

With all due respect to the seller, you have to take any "vet bring-back" stories with a grain of salt. There have been many times when I heard this story and found it to be absolutely believable, and absolutely true. But this is the same story used by fakers to hawk their products, so unless it can be corroborated by documentation, or unless the piece can be verified by detailed examination, the story is meaningless.

Tim
                    "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X