S&L RK Die Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
    To my mind, it looks like we have either impact damage to the male, or material loss to the male.
    Chris, an IMPACT to the die where the impact resulted in damage would leave a hole or dent in the die itself. This would result in a RAISED piece of silver on the frame NOT A HOLE!

The splatter spilled from the die repair, my theory, was entirely ignored by the die repair engineer because it is entirely not really visible to the eye. The result on the cross is entirely unnoticeable. It's very very small. After all the years of collecting Dietrich was the first person to notice it in 2005 (not Dr. Tom...)

To the point of the discovery in 2005, there was NO A type or B type in all the HUNDREDS of SL crosses sold by dealers over the years to say here's a B type to a recipient. There was no A/B distinction. Come on Dietrich, saying no B type was ever recorded by a recipient is a weak argument.

Now consider how small these holes with a raised crater really are and imagine some buffing of the frame and the crater edges can easily be buffed away or made less severe.

In the SL factory itself I would EXPECT some finishing of the frame and be suspect of unfinished frames except for those frames with period produced acid finishing or frosting.

This discussion is I think beyond us as the facts don't support either side. I only jumped in because the 'evidence' being presented bothered me as to the rush to judgement on supposition and innuendo. As it is, I'll now be accused of trying to prop up the multi-million dollar B type market. But whatever, the gutter forum will take any conversation here out of context as they already have.

We have NO good evidence of a B type to an awardee. Duh... What some of you purchasers of crosses from Detlev, et al, need to do is check your crosses. Did the provenance come with the cross? Not too often, eh? So that's a tough one, believe what you will, bye...
    Last edited by Brian S; 10-22-2006, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Splatter in yellow.
      Attached Files

Comment

Any new contributions

I believe this is the thread too which Dietrich refered. Any additional ideas?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X