S&L RK Die Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&L RK Die Repairs

I have read with great interest the article pinned by Dietrich, and the 50 (odd) page thread on the 2 dies debate as well. A big big thanks to Dietrich, Dave and the others who participated...(and to Skip for getting us all going) because by their collective participation knowledge of this fascinating topic has moved on significantly.

I'd like to pose a few comments, and invite debate.. Hope you are all up for it

What were S&L doing different from the other RK manufacturers that caused them problems that Juncker & K&Q who were probably as (if not more) prolific didnt experience (?). Original K&Q frames for example are all pretty much the same with little detectable difference between periods of manufacture

The possibility occurs to me that S&L used (1) a different production process causing material problems with the base metal of the dies, or that (2) the base metal was defective or incorreclty chosen for the die

I'd better point out now that I am in the "single die" camp. I am prepared to admit that the hub and working die scenario was possible, but that for some reason S&L and the other RK manufacturers did not use it.

That having been said and taking the two points mentioned above as the working hypothesis, I'd like to postulated that the different production process used by S&L could have been that the female die only had the fine details whereas the upper male part was more of a "plug" to force the silver material into the female. This process would be much more stressfull to the dies (particulary to the female) as considerably more pressure would be required than if both male and female were detailed. Do we have any evidence of this (?)....if we are seeing only flaw ridge features in the frame defects, as indeed we seem to be, then it might indicate this.

If both upper and lower parts of the die were detailed and of exactly the same material then it might reasonably be expected that eventually both parts would exhibit problems (although maybe the female much earlier) causing both ridges for female defects and flattening of beads for male flaws on the very heavily flawed "B" type.. Is there any evidence of this (?)...I'm unsure. But then maybe the stresses involved never reached critical levels for the male.

From a practical point of view, such a die arrangement would be much easier to make than one with detail on both sides that must exactly mesh, and I'm sure S&L were very economical (!)

OK...thats the different process scenario. It doesnt matter too much but could explain why S&L had die problems where the others did not, or certainly not to the same extent.

..now moving on to the defective material scenario as a theory for S&L's problems, which might or might not be linked to the production method;

If the base metal was defective in some way (by its inherent characteristics or of an unsuitable grade for the physical design of the die) the die might suffer excessive material fatique effects caused by the natural tendency of the female to flex when the frame was pressed. This could result in fatique defects appearing at the points of extreme cyclic stress, which would naturally be at the low points of the female die. This is in fact where we see most of the flaws

Such fatique failures would appear commonly as either cracks (splits) or by a loss of base material. If the former, then I would expect to see a proliferation of cracks that increased in length over time. Stresses are naturally concentrated at the extremeties of cracks...and there is a natural tendency for them to grow.

But the flaws we are seeing do not appear to grow substantially...they are either there or they are not.

Also, In the "crack" scenario there would be a tendency for the crack to close once pressure was released. (This would also tend to pinch any material squeezed into the flaw incidently). In this case the traditional repair would be to "block" the die, thereby reducing/illiminating flexing. But then if flexing was cured by this method, why did further flaws appear post 935/4 if the die couldn't flex (?) It just doesn't add up.

I favour the theory that base material began to be lost at the bottom of the female die due to fatique related problems. This would allow the flaws to be exposed even when the die was not under pressure, and repair to be effected by filling of the cavities, which to me is clearly what hapened....voila, the 800/4 frame !...from this point onwards further material failure/loss could logically still be expected, and 935 silver was tried to reduce the stress on the die...voila the 935/4. We might actually see signs of small repairs between 800/4 and 935/4 (I think we have only looked so far at 800 to 935/4 repair spider web pattern on the beads so far).

In light of the evidence we have, its not unreasonable to assume that the 935/4 were the last official 1939 S&L RK, and that anything with the post repair features that isnt a 935/4 and shows further deterioation is post war (maybe even post 1957).

It might well have been that post 935/4 regular runing repairs were required and that eventually they were such a "pain" that S&L made a new 1957 die and dumped the original. Alternatively, (maybe stretching a point) S&L didnt want to be associated with the post war "under the counter" production of 1939 RK's as it dawned on them that they were exposing themselves to that acusation if they continued to use the original pattern frames on the official 1957 cross (and thereby confirming that they had been the source of the post 1939 swastika versions).

Comments invited.

Regards
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Jenkins; 10-17-2006, 07:34 AM.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

S@Ls

I have always thought that the 800/4s came along before 935/4s based on the supposition that S@L had leftover 800 silver sheets from before the repairs were done and the were run off first just too get rid of them before they started on 935 silver sheets too ease stress on the die. The percieved loss of sharpness of the weld splatter on the three o'clock arm resulting from the harder 800 silver not flowing into or around the splatter as well as softer 935. The weld splatter itself was the result of the repair job....................Jimmy

Comment

Jimmy,

don't forget that the only 'evidence' of the use of the B-Type die before May 45 is the 'evidence' that 935-4's have been found at Klessheim. Not many, just a few! And no 800-4 that are known to come from there.

So far, no 935-4's or 800-4 or any other B-Type could be attributed to an actual awardee. But that is not to say that there are none.

If there would be no Klessheim 935-4 there would be no evidence at all for any B-Types being pre May 45! From the amount of 935 (and others) on the market, compared to 935-4, S&L used the B-Type die more often after the war than up to May 45.

We might never know.
      B&D PUBLISHING
      Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

I think that a difference between S&L and other makers which must be taken into account is the number of crosses made. I read somewhere that S&L were the producers of more RKs than anyone else, so supposedly the dies got a bit more use and therefore more wear and likelyhood of flaw development...

Comment

Is it possible that the 935s and 800-4s could be war time produced? Because shouldn't the production go in theory800-4, 935, and then 935-4, by the markings? And it is obvious that S&L had left over RKs from the war, so why make more? The swastika was outlawed. Just some things to think about.

Comment

Here's the problem:

There are a multitude of B-Types: 935-4, 935, 800, 800-4, unmarked.

There are owners of those type of crosses and dealers selling such crosses. The owners want them to be real and some dealers want them to be real or believe them to be real. Naturally.

So what can you do? Nothing other than what has been done with the legitimate crosses: get some from a dead solid source (first hand recipient), get the features of such a cross and compare to crosses w/o solid provenance.

Then you end up with what we have as proven pre may 45 suppliers. Everything else is 'believe' and in the famous case of the Rounder is became clear that the believe of some (including me) was wrong.

So what makes you think that the production sequence should have been: 800-4 , 935, 935-4?
            B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Timeline

Clearly, any RK post the initial die repair (a "B" type) that shows less definition to the flaw row on the lower 3 o'clock arm could reasonably be considered post 935/4...and therefore in all probability post 1945. That is the benchmark against which all "B" types must be compared.

Chris

Comment

935/4

Hi Dietrich,

To state the obvious for the benifit of other readers, we know definitely that mint 935/4's came out of Klessheim. But batches of 935/4's could equally have been dispatched to other theatres. Just as the Juncker "2" crosses were found in Klessheim and have appeared from other sources....although very few "2"'s appear as legitimate awarded pieces.

Chris

Comment

Comparison dent row 935-4 to 800-4:
                  Attached Files
                  B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
                    To state the obvious for the benifit of other readers, we know definitely that mint 935/4's came out of Klessheim.
                    True.
                    However, all RK's went thru the Praesidialkanzlei and - regarding the regulations - no RK's were stored at any place other than the PKZ. They were to be send out from there to the recipient. (Order OKH 3.6.41/1.3.43-29a-PA/P 5a)There is slight evidence (telegrams) that after the PKZ was moved south (mid of April) to end up in Klessheim, some Army Groups might have had some crosses.
                    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Maj. Konig View Post
                      The swastika was outlawed. Just some things to think about.
                      Revue magazine in May 1953.
                      Attached Files

Comment

1960 - with swastika! Into the US-market. Have about 30-40 like those. Between 1959 and 1962.
                        Attached Files
                        B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

800/4 & 935/4

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                          Comparison dent row 935-4 to 800-4:
                          Yep....the definition certainly appears less on this 800/4 than the 935/4.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking View Post
                            Revue magazine in May 1953.
                            Peter....I wonder what Rudel wanted with another RK ?

My point was rather that S&L could hardly get away with producing 1957 RK's from same dies that had been used to chuck out 1939 version post war (even disregarding the fact that the original dies probably deteriorated rapidly)...to do so would be to confirm they had been the source, something they maybe would be reluctant to admit with the ink just dry on their authorization to produce the new versions.

S&L are hyper sensitive to this day, and I've had no luck at through several phone calls and letters over the years at getting any comment from them (why should this be I wonder ?)
                            Last edited by Chris Jenkins; 10-17-2006, 10:23 PM.

Chris

Comment

What time period would you think the:
                              935 line was made, I have heard late 45-48
                              800-4 line
                              and finally the unmarked.

Thanks...

PS: If you need detailed pictures of my 935 RK just ask. I finally figured out my camera lol.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X