Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GFM von Bock's KC?

Hi guys,

I was pouring over the wonderful eye candy contained in Stephen Prievitera's latest effort "Prussian Blue". My hat is off to Stephen for this magnificent work.

My question is about the KC shown on page 276 attributed to GFM von Bock. The picture is clear enough to show the beading on the frame distinctly. The beading rounds the inside corners in the same fashion as the much debated 'Rounder' KC. Look closely and you will see that the inside corners have not been filed and the beading does indeed form the fanlike radius seen on 'Rounders'.

If this KC , details shown very clearly, is not a Juncker, S&L, or other slightly rounded corner Third Reich era KC who made it?

It sure looks like a 'Rounder' frame to me. With provenance in print.

What say the experts?

Tony
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Originally posted by Tiger 1
    ... Stephen Prievitera's latest effort "Prussian Blue".

...My question is about the KC shown on page 276 attributed to GFM von Bock. ...Tony
    Can anyone show some pics? Book was a bit steep for my tastes.

Comment

That's the same RK that was featured on "The Marshall's Baton", yes?
      George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
        Yes. But it's not a Rounder - just an example that the specific and deliberate roounding of inner corners was used very, very early in the war, before the 30th of September 1939 to be specific.

Dietrich
        B&D PUBLISHING
        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz
          Yes. But it's not a Rounder - just an example that the specific and deliberate roounding of inner corners was used very, very early in the war, before the 30th of September 1939 to be specific.

Dietrich

Dietrich, what do you base this statement on......

The Godet 'packages' had nice sharp corners, yes?
          Regards,
          Dave

Comment

Yes, undeniably the same one.

I agree that it is not a Rounder, but Stephens picture shows even more clearly that surely those corners have not been filed?

Presumably Stephen P was able to sight this group in order to photograph the PLM for his BEAUTIFUL new book.... - perhaps he is the best one to shed some more light on this?

Marshall

picture courtesy of www.themarshalsbaton.com
            Attached Files

Comment

The piece looks like a Godet/Zimmermann to me. The swaz is throwing some shaddowing onto the inner corners so they look more rounded than they probably are.....my penn'y worth.

Comment

Harry,

the is another picture on the web where one can see the corners better. Those are clearly rounded and it's not a Zimmermann, IMHO.

Dave,

I base my statement on the date of award, that's all. Now, this being another possible controversial piece, the "it's a switch" argument always comes into play. I cannot difuse that.

Dietrich
                B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
                  The piece looks like a Godet/Zimmermann to me. The swaz is throwing some shaddowing onto the inner corners so they look more rounded than they probably are.....my penn'y worth.
                  Harry,

Shadows are the result of light being blocked by a solid object. All four corners cannot be blocked by the swaz. The lighting in the picture looks to be from a predominately overhead source, possibly two light sources by the shadows shown on the ribbon beneith the KC, to evenly illuminate it for the photo.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson

I believe it is, George.

Maybe one of the computer image savy guys here can superimpose a 'Rounder' KC over this picture in the same orientation to see how close a match it may be. To me the frame does look remarkably similar if not identical within reason with that of a 'Rounder' KC.

Just a thought.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
                      I believe it is, George.

Maybe one of the computer image savy guys here can superimpose a 'Rounder' KC over this picture in the same orientation to see how close a match it may be. To me the frame does look remarkably similar if not identical within reason with that of a 'Rounder' KC.

Just a thought.

Tony

You're joking right Tony!

I think that the only 'orientation' with that Cross is Latvia!
                      Attached Files
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

Hi Tony

This is the best shot of the von Bock RK that I can plageurise!

I think there should be at least an element of crosshatching to these outer corners if it is to be treated as a candidate for a Rounder frame?

(Makes a change to be focusing on the OUTER corners in a 'Rounder' thread, no?... )

Marshall
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Marshall!

It's clear it's not a Rounder. Not by the beading nor by the numerals.

Dave,

you are thinking this is from Latvia. Anything to back that up or is it just a rumor ??

Dietrich
                          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Here is a photo of the cross Dave posted compared to the the cross in question. Sorry, I could not rotate the image. I agree that the piece does not appear to be a rounder. I have no idea what it is.
                            Attached Files

Comment

"Dave,

you are thinking this is from Latvia. Anything to back that up or is it just a rumor ??"

Rumor? It looks like it's just an unsubstantiated statement.
                              George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X